Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #29

Mid Atlantic Campers
Just traded my SRW for a DRW
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #30

I've had my Cummins powered Ram 3500 dually since new in '97. With just a little over 105K on the clock I could not imagine ever pulling a large 5th wheel or gooseneck without it. I no longer have a large trailer but I hate to get rid of it.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #31

You mentioned 4wd. They are tall, maybe to tall without flipping axles. I had a DRW 3500 and see no difference in handling with my current 2500 SRW. Transit mixers in CA run super singles and nothing is more unstable than a load of concrete. The DRW was a flatbed and a bear to park in lots.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #32

5ths are the best in my opinion, they pull great and you can unhook and have a nice vehicle to drive around instead of having a motorhome and pulling a go cart behind it, lol!

Ford f350s are easily the best heavy duty truck inside and out. There's a reason a fully loaded one costs 10k more than a fully loaded Dodge!
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
You mentioned 4wd. They are tall, maybe to tall without flipping axles. I had a DRW 3500 and see no difference in handling with my current 2500 SRW. Transit mixers in CA run super singles and nothing is more unstable than a load of concrete. The DRW was a flatbed and a bear to park in lots.
Here I thought super singles were wide enough that it replaced dual tires. I did not know they were the same width as regular tires.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
There's only one reason to have a DRW, because you need it. If you can stay under your trucks GVWR with your fully loaded 5th wheel, plus a full tank of fuel and whatever else you carry, then by all means drive a SRW. In my case, I was probably 1500 - 2K over my truck's GVWR and my rear tires, with a full R-K toolbox, headache rack, and a 60 gal RDS transfer tank. I also pull my rig right at or over it's 18K GVWR. It pulls better with a full load of water since I have 2K lbs in the garage. I pulled it 4500 mi with my SRW 3500, before I bought the Ford DRW. The difference is like night and day between the SRW and DRW, especially in a cross wind.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
There's only one reason to have a DRW, because you need it. If you can stay under your trucks GVWR with your fully loaded 5th wheel, plus a full tank of fuel and whatever else you carry, then by all means drive a SRW. In my case, I was probably 1500 - 2K over my truck's GVWR and my rear tires, with a full R-K toolbox, headache rack, and a 60 gal RDS transfer tank. I also pull my rig right at or over it's 18K GVWR. It pulls better with a full load of water since I have 2K lbs in the garage. I pulled it 4500 mi with my SRW 3500, before I bought the Ford DRW. The difference is like night and day between the SRW and DRW, especially in a cross wind.
With that load you need a Freightliner. Ha Ha
Old 07-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I was right under the limit. It is still so much better with the DRW.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #37

I owned DRW for close to 15 years. Had a 5er and showed quarter horses all over the US. Traded 5er for class A. When we traded, I bought a half ton. Did not need DWR any more. Got out of horses, traded class A for a 37 foot 5er and traded truck for 3/4 ton diesel. I am with in weight limits because I added another leaf spring on truck. Truck pulls great, but nothing beats the stability of a DWR. I wish I would have bought that instead of the 3/4 ton.
quaterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote