Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
I think I saw that one at the boat show yesterday. Very nice rig and congratulations. The truck appears to be a good match. Are you coming out of a motorhome?
Yes. A Palazzo 36.1...wanted more room to relax. And some flexibility when wintering for 2 or 3 months. We really like the floor plan, and it has everything we wanted. I think this rig will drive better too.

So you're around the Tulsa area?

Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 10:24 PM   #16
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
Yes. A Palazzo 36.1...wanted more room to relax. And some flexibility when wintering for 2 or 3 months. We really like the floor plan, and it has everything we wanted. I think this rig will drive better too.

So you're around the Tulsa area?
Yes, Muskogee.

We sold our Holiday Rambler dp a couple of years ago and went back to a fifth wheel. After 7 years the expense of owning and maintaining a diesel motorhome wore me down. We had 2 Excel's prior to going the motorhome route and have enjoyed them all. Like you, we feel we have more room and that we get a whole lot more stuff for the money. We've pulled ours around 15k miles over good and bad roads and it handles great, much better than the motorhome. Your truck probably will not even know it has that Cardinal behind it. We have the B&W Companion also and you will really like it.

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:43 PM   #17

Congratulations on the new truck and Cardinal! Hope you have as much fun with your Ram and Cardinal as we are having in ours. Nice colors!
Old 01-31-2014, 03:55 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Yes, Muskogee.

We sold our Holiday Rambler dp a couple of years ago and went back to a fifth wheel. After 7 years the expense of owning and maintaining a diesel motorhome wore me down. We had 2 Excel's prior to going the motorhome route and have enjoyed them all. Like you, we feel we have more room and that we get a whole lot more stuff for the money. We've pulled ours around 15k miles over good and bad roads and it handles great, much better than the motorhome. Your truck probably will not even know it has that Cardinal behind it. We have the B&W Companion also and you will really like it.
Muskogee...cool, we'll have to get together...if it ever warms up again.
We were looking at larger motorhomes with a tag axel. Entegra, Dutch Star and alike. But I just couldn't get over the cost! For the $150-200,000 we saved we can buy a LOT of diesel and stay in some very nice campgrounds!!! You edge up and up till you stop, take a step back, and say...what am I doing...this is crazy!!! I've always seen a lot of 5th wheels on the road so we started looking...and liked what we saw...and what we got for the money.

Glad to hear it handles better as the MH was a bear in just a light wind. That's why we were looking at a tag. While I was fighting the steering wheel 5ers were going by us like we were parked.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:05 AM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefly1 View Post
Congratulations on the new truck and Cardinal! Hope you have as much fun with your Ram and Cardinal as we are having in ours. Nice colors!
I've always had Ford and Chevy trucks but my son has two Ram diesels and loves them. So I looked at Ram and liked it better...and got a better deal too!

Although we've never had a 5th wheel before, I've always heard that Cardinal was one of the better ones. It has everything we wanted already on it, like generator, washer/dryer, residential frig, outside TV, etc. And it's gorgeous too!
Old 01-31-2014, 04:25 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
That's a great looking fiver and truck. I had the identical truck and in ways miss our fifth wheel. Congratulations
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:21 AM   #21
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
Muskogee...cool, we'll have to get together...if it ever warms up again.
Glad to hear it handles better as the MH was a bear in just a light wind. That's why we were looking at a tag. While I was fighting the steering wheel 5ers were going by us like we were parked.
You'll be able to steer your Ram and Cardinal with your little finger, in a stiff crosswind. I put a set of Koni shocks (the HR took 8), a steering stabilizer, new tires and front and rear stabilizer bars on the motorhome
to get it to drive half way decent and it still cannot compare to how well our setup handles. We have a rear kitchen model and while we don't get much movement of stuff in our cabinets I am adding a Trailair Center Point air suspension to the Excel. It may not be necessary but we hit some particularly rough roads in Wyoming last year and I think it will help, at least that is what I have read and heard.

You will enjoy the residential fridge. Ours gets cold quick and stays there, unlike the Norcold we had in the motorhome. With the auto level I can set up just as quickly as we did with the motorhome. We have a Splendide washer/dryer and use it a lot.

Hopefully we can get some warm weather soon as I am getting cabin fever. Greenleaf and Tenkiller are starting to miss me.

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel