Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-05-2014, 03:47 PM   #15
My DP had 4 wheel disc's. The drive line was basically bulletproof. But when I sold it, it was 17 years old and just needed a new owner. I miss looking out the front windshield in the campgrounds, all the light coming in the large windows. The 100 gal of fuel so I am not constantly looking for fuel. The large solar system, 2K inverter, the 7K gen set.

But our needs and uses of the RV changed so we went back to a 5th. The wife likes the 5th, it is new, she got to pick the floorplan, and will probably be our last rig.

Now safety, the guys that go out and buy large 5th's and insist on towing them with SRW, short bed trucks, never weigh them, have no clue how much they are over weight and say how safe they are with all the air bags.

But, it tows it just fine, it is my daily driver, wife does not want a DRW, all the excuses. NONE of the late model diesel trucks like to be daily drivers. The emission systems require they get hot and like to stay hot. 6 miles to work or a 30 mile commute, unloaded, does not work these new trucks enough.

Happy shopping

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, DRW, 8' box, B&W Companion 2014 Montana 3150RL, with all the stuff.
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Wow a bunch of great view points and great view points. Thanks keep em coming.

tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
It's been 8 months since I switched from a 2011 GMC dually with a 2010 Cardinal (38’) 5th wheeler to a 40' DP. There are things I miss about the truck/5'ver rig and things I don't miss.

The fifth wheel fit in my driveway easier. We could park it just about anywhere. What I don’t miss is the set up and pack up. What I don’t miss is the lack of stability when it is setup. And I had all sorts of jacks and cross arms installed. Once set up, I could feel the wife walk across the floor, down the stairs or in or out of the rig. Our DP is very stable without the jacks lowered and rock solid when lowered.

The creature features are why we upgraded to the DP. The 5’er had more cabinet storage but a lot less basement storage. The Oasis heating / hot water system in the DP is far superior, more plentiful and quieter than our 5’er. I don’t miss the undersize axles and tires installed on most 5’ers today.

Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
On the other hand, I find travel time to be much more enjoyable in the motorhome. A giant windshield that you can see the whole world out of; almost silent ride with the engine in the back where you can carry on a conversation at normal voice level; and as mentioned above, access to the whole house. Also, the TV above with an in-motion satellite, makes the time fly by.
Totally agree.

We also like to travel. We have never spent more than 7 nights parked in any one place so I can’t compare which would be best for “longevity” in one place. Also, the DW would NOT drive the dually. Also the truck does not fit in the parking lot of most stores, tourist attraction or National Park parking lots. My toad does and the DS loves to drive it. I am no longer required to drive her to do the grocery shopping since we got the DP.

The local RV Show started today so I asked the DW if she wanted to switch back to 5’er. We both like some of the models in the Excel and DRV lineup. She asked would the truck be as big as the last one. My answer was No, it would be bigger. DW smiled and said “I love my DSDP”.
John & Diann
2014 Dutch Star 4364 - 2011 CRV EX-L AWD
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I got to say the safety factor is really becoming a issue in my mind. It's planted there forever.
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #19
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Why did you move from your Class A and into a 5th wheel?
To me the best advantage a 5er has over a motor home is you can use the truck for other things. Also you can trade it in get a new truck and still have your 5er. One more thought is if your TV needs work you still have somewhere to stay and if your 5er has a problem just pull the pin and get a motel . Just saying.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #20
Originally Posted by FireFlyer View Post
Our history was going from a travel trailer to a Class A (Tiffin Allegro Bay FRED) and now to a Bighorn 5th wheel. I agree with most of the explanations that have already been given (cost, etc.). I'll add one more issue that was a big consideration for us, but might not matter so much to others - safety.

We had a 'near miss' with the motor home (brake failure) that got me thinking about the safety angle. Combining my 40 years in the emergency services profession and seeing the results of lots of crashes, I have come to realize that when I am driving a pickup pulling a 5th wheel, I'm enjoying all of the advances in automotive safety that have been developed in recent years. Advanced seat belts, air bags all over the cab, engineered crumple zones, antilock braking systems, significant crash testing/ratings, etc, etc, etc. My Class A had very few of those things....not to mention a TV hanging right over my head . Sure the chassis is a commercial truck chassis, but what is built on top of it has very few of the safety features we take for granted in our cars and pickups. We never got up and moved around in the Class A while going down the road for safety reasons, so there is no difference there.

Just another angle on the question.....if safety is an issue for you.

Reason why I'm re-considering my approach... instead of Class A, considering 5-er. I don't trust myself, nor my family, to be disciplined to stay put during the driving time.

Do 5ers really have more room though? They seem more narrow to me. But I've only looked at a few thus far.
cptgregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #21
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Can I take the other viewpoint? Owning a Motorhome, I can't imagine ever going to a 5th wheel, for any reason. I actually still have a 1 ton diesel pickup that I used to tow racecar trailers, and just from a driving perspective I much prefer to do the miles in a motorhome. The freedom for my DW to do what she needs to do, to keep me in coffee and sandwiches, and for the dogs to stretch out is something that would be impossible in a 5th wheel. Plus the fact that I actually like driving the MH more than the pickup for long hauls is what does it for me. Remember, in a trailer the vacation starts when you get there. In a MH, the vacation starts when you pull out of the driveway.

Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote