RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2019, 03:22 AM   #1

Question Overheating/tripping electrical panel 110v AC breakers

2019 Keystone Montana High Country 331RL on 50 amp.

I have 2 ceiling HVAC units. Each pulls about 13amps. If I run one, the 20 amp breaker will get up to about 97 degrees. If I run both, eventually both breakers get up to over 105 and eventually trip due to heat, even with nothing else running that pulls many amps.

The units are on different phases of the panel. I verified that I'm not pulling more than 13 amps each. Voltage is 115-118 on both phases. I took the cover off, placed a small fan to blow on the panel, and moved the breakers further apart so they can dissipate heat better.

This is a new rv. I'm in North Carolina and it's only in the low 90s here. My site is in the sun. I plan to spend time in places much hotter. But I don't see how I can if the ACs can't keep up with the demand without overheating breakers.

How do other RVs run both HVAC units in 105-110 without tripping breakers?

Any advice? Thanks

fixpro256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2019, 04:59 AM   #2

The first thing I would do is shut off the power outside, pull the panel cover and tighten every screw on the circuit breakers. One of main causes of warm or melted wires is bad connections. Also check the plug that goes into the post. If it warm might have a bad 50 amp receptical.

Old 07-05-2019, 06:11 AM   #3

Once you get it solved, dont expect too much from RV ACs when parked in the sun on a hot day. The ACs struggle to keep things cool in that scenario. Park in the shade on a hot day and it will be a major difference on how cool the RV will be.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:48 AM   #4

Heat is amperage lost. You have a problem. Potentially a BIG problem. Like Jeep said. Pull the panel and check all the connections.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:33 PM   #5

My son just purchased the 373rd and plugged into 50 amps has no problems. He also has run both on a 30 amp.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixpro256 View Post
2019 Keystone Montana High Country 331RL on 50 amp.

I have 2 ceiling HVAC units. Each pulls about 13amps. If I run one, the 20 amp breaker will get up to about 97 degrees. If I run both, eventually both breakers get up to over 105 and eventually trip due to heat, even with nothing else running that pulls many amps.

The units are on different phases of the panel. I verified that I'm not pulling more than 13 amps each. Voltage is 115-118 on both phases. I took the cover off, placed a small fan to blow on the panel, and moved the breakers further apart so they can dissipate heat better.

This is a new rv. I'm in North Carolina and it's only in the low 90s here. My site is in the sun. I plan to spend time in places much hotter. But I don't see how I can if the ACs can't keep up with the demand without overheating breakers.

How do other RVs run both HVAC units in 105-110 without tripping breakers?

Any advice? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak View Post
The first thing I would do is shut off the power outside, pull the panel cover and tighten every screw on the circuit breakers. One of main causes of warm or melted wires is bad connections. Also check the plug that goes into the post. If it warm might have a bad 50 amp receptical.

See Items in red above!
You stated move further apart, well they should already be seperated by the 50 amp double main. If they are next to each other, they are on the same phase and could be part of your problem. I would also re-seat the breakers on the buss.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:19 AM   #7
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is the panel mounted in a closet or behind a door? Mine is mounted in a closet and a door that is very close to the face of it. The closet can get very hot and the breaker panel itself can get even hotter under those conditions. If parked with the panel more North it is not as bad or in the shade it is fine. I resorted to leaving the closet door open with a vent blowing on the face of the panel.

Opening the panel and using an infrared thermometer it was apparent they were getting extremely hot. So hot I believe that contributed to the total failure of the EMS load shedding control board with the relays on it.

A fan is not a viable solution for mine. What has worked is putting very slim washers at the corners of the panel. This tiny air gap seems to do the trick. In Sacramento Valley direct sun I still open the closet for good measure but have far less breaker tripping.

My AC's are the larger versions so draw around 16 amps which is close to the tripping point on a hot breaker it seems.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #8

I'm a new member. Was going to go back and correct some mistakes I made in my original post, but can't figure it out. I guess this forum doesn't allow that.
fixpro256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #9

Quote:
I'm a new member. Was going to go back and correct some mistakes I made in my original post, but can't figure it out. I guess this forum doesn't allow that.

Best to just add a post to the thread, editing the original just causes confusion. Although you can edit any post you have made.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Check the connections on the a/c units also. a bad connection anywhere in the circuit can cause an overheat/overload condition. I would also verify that the wire size they installed is suitable for the load. Just because it is new doesn't mean they did it correctly. You could just replace the breakers if all other inspections are good. It is possible there was a bad batch.

Just FYI posts are only editable for a limited amount of time then they are locked in.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:53 PM   #11
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
You have a limited time to be able to edit your posts. If past that, you can Quote your own post with the corrections which will refresh the readers minds.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker, electric, electrical, heat, heating, overheating, panel