Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2006, 11:34 AM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JRNOLL:
I'm not sure of WalMart changing their policy. Some of them( WalMarts) cannot allow overnighters because of local laws,(Showlow Az.)Is one. I hope this helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
True enough. Also it's possible that you may find a Wal-Mart in a leased property (as opposed to Wal-Mart-owned) and those stores will be governed by the property owners' policies.

Last year I drove into the parking lot of a Wal-Mart Super Center inside of a strip mall on the north side of Phoenix, and was almost immediately pounced on by a rent-a-cop in a golf cart and asked to leave. We had only pulled in for groceries; he thought we were trying to spend the night. The stated reason was that the &gt;shopping center&lt; didn't allow overnight parking.

I might also mention that "free" is relative. On the same trip, a "free" night in a Wal-Mart parking lot cost me $75 thanks to my wife and grandson
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2006, 02:02 AM   #16

Just for the sake of the discussion, how many nights in a row have you parked at a Walmart? And, if you have to dump, how much have you been paying?
Old 03-16-2006, 02:54 AM   #17

To; Wal-mart Parkers;

You will notice I said PARKERS and not campers.

We have parked at 8 different Wal-marts between Mass. and Michigan, Stayed at one for 4 nights. I met with store mgr, explained my situation and he told me where to park and gave ok for several nights.

Nothing is taken out of rig, no grills, no chairs, no rugs, no hoses, I think you get the message.
As far as the slide-outs, you have to open them on most rigs to use interior and bed in particular, but park next to a medium or grass area where there will be no traffic or pedestrians. Do not open passenger side slides that extend into parking lot , they could injure someone or get hit.

On last years trip, using Wal-marts, we spent over $400.00 on food, supplies and God only knows what else.

I guess you have to always be a courteous and thoughtful neighbor. But there are some places you can't park, Buy a Wal-mart Locator and call ahead and there's no surprises.

Thanks== Aime=== AJBJRVRES
Old 03-19-2006, 04:55 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
I've stayed in a Wal*Mart parking lot twice. To be honest, if I'm gonna boondock, I prefer a truck stop where there is more activity 24 hours. As far as dumping the tanks. I find a Flying-J. Most, if not all, have RV Dump stations. but I can generally make it to aonther campground beofre I have to dump the tanks.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:06 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by camper1b:
In August we returned from an 11000 mile trip around the country. The link is in my signature. Of the 49 nights out, we stayed 9 for free at Walmarts, etc. Maybe it will give you some tips. (There were also some not-the-best free overnight stops in there as well!). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
=====================================

Well almost a Dollar a Mile for the trip!

Cost of the quality time with family Priceless!

So when are you going on the next 11K mile trip?

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:49 AM   #20

Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dougmyers:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by camper1b:
In August we returned from an 11000 mile trip around the country. The link is in my signature. Of the 49 nights out, we stayed 9 for free at Walmarts, etc. Maybe it will give you some tips. (There were also some not-the-best free overnight stops in there as well!). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

=====================================

Well almost a Dollar a Mile for the trip!

Cost of the quality time with family Priceless!

So when are you going on the next 11K mile trip? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best $11000 I ever spent. 60 years from now, my kids will still remember it and tell their kids/grandkids about it.

I can not get anyone in my family interested in any trip if its longer than 5 hours away! Guess we'll stick closer to home this year.
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote