Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2018, 10:06 PM   #1

Overwhelmed!

We are in the midst of paring down and prepping to sell our house as dh retires and we need to get a fifth wheel so we'll have a place to live while we are getting some real estate things done in Reno, NV. We want a used one. 30 footer . The problem is, I am overwhelmed. I have heard so many opinions on what to get or not to get, etc. that I'm afraid to get anything. I found out that I need to get one less than 10 years old to be able to stay in rv parks in Reno. Is that true everywhere? I might have bought a really old one and been up a creek! Glad I found that out! So we are looking to get one no older than a 2010 as a starter to see what we really want in the future. We want a good sturdy one but don't want to spend a fortune because we plan on being in it for just a year or two until we find out what we really want. I've looked on craigslist and there are some places rv nearby I need to go. We plan on following the sun for the most part. Thanks for listening. Guess I needed to let that out somewhere and who would understand better than you full timers? Thanks for listening if you've made it this far. Someday, I'll be an old pro at this and can give support instead of being the needy one
MKOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2018, 10:09 PM   #2

We’ve never been turn d away in our 22 yr old rig
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:29 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If it is old LOOKING it can be an issue in some parks but if it is shiny and the graphics are not faded they probably will not ask what year it is.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:37 PM   #4

I've been calling to try and reserve a spot and they ask for all the info and told me it had to be no more than 10 years old to make a reservation! Maybe since I am long distance and they can't see my (non existent) fith wheel yet. Hmmm....
Old 02-24-2018, 10:38 PM   #5

I t must be in great shape :-)
Old 02-25-2018, 06:10 AM   #6

I would stay away from buying one too old just because you may want to sell it at some point and could be hard to get rid of.
We used a TT for several years but went to a 5er last year , it's like night and day to me
just for comfort etc. easy to pull etc.
Seems every year they get better and better with the designs and extras on these things.
good luck
Old 02-25-2018, 06:21 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
As long as aren't pulling into camp in your deer camp special no one will ask the age. If they are uptight enough to look at the registration simply go somewhere else. ( Rarely happens ) I think a lot of parks have this rule but I have never been in one that I didn't see nice older units.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:45 AM   #8

So if this is temporary housing.... There are a lot of parks, that cater to construction workers.... bridge builders, etc... like my BIL's who are working in Carson City NV at the Tesla Battery plant... they are in a quiet park, and have been there almost 18 month doing the piping in the new plant... those parks are quiet... and for those guys doing the construction work... work well for them...

Or rig is over 10 years old... is in nice shape and we would just walk out if we were asked the age of our unit.. of course when we are traveling... we are looking for one night... sometimes 3-5 if we are doing a lot of local sight seeing... and all we want is a full hook up site... we don't care for a pool, shuffle board, pickle board, etc...
Old 02-25-2018, 04:41 PM   #9

It sounds as if you are new to the RV world. Don't worry about age. Worry about if it stinks or not. Just use your nose and you will eliminate most used units. Before you get too carried away, find out how much your truck will handle. Start from that point and keep your search to units with a GVWR lower than your trucks towing capacity. Watch your trucks CCC and keep your payloadpus the pin weight below that number. If you don't understand any of this google them until you do. It will make your RV life much more enjoyable. When camper shopping, use NADA guides to give you an idea of price. There are lot of good used campers in the Reno area, but don't be afraid to travel. I'd also consider putting TTs into the mix. Some are very nice. Its a great lifestyle and you are on your way to a good beginning.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:05 PM   #10

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks all. We are getting a brand new truck from the factory. A RAM HDT so I think we will be fine on that account. My husband wants to get a 2011 or newer fifth wheel. We are set on a fifth wheel. I would prefer to get about a 2015 so we can sell it in a year or two. I have done a lot of research over the past year and a half or so but still have to remember a lot :-) We haven't looked at enough fith wheels yet but we have scaled things down and decided on a few things like, we don't want a huge one. I think it will all unfold as we go along. I'm sure the first year we will have some challenges figuring things out but, it's nice to have this forum to come to on ccasion so I can ask questions, etc. Thanks again!
Old 02-26-2018, 01:50 PM   #11

I think you are on the right path. You are doing your research and identifying your needs. Four to six years old is probably a good range. The major new trailer depreciation hit has been taken by someone else. I would recommend a unit with a quality reputation. It will cost you more but will probably give you better service and sell faster and for more money on the back side. Look at a lot of trailers without a hundred percent commitment to buy. When you see the right unit you will know and be ready to act. Our trailer was 6 years old when we bought it and it has worked out well. Based on the current ads out we would take a minimal hit if we decided to sell it after four years of use. Then again, like us, you might find the perfect trailer from the outset. Have fun shopping.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:28 PM   #12

Just my 2 cents.....
If you don't know what to buy you may want to try P.P.L. Motor-homes in Dallas, Houston or New Braunfels TX, Prices are very reasonable, large selection of 5ers.

ww.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/fifth-wheel?sortBy=price+desc

Do you have a truck? If not you'll need one, You'll also need to know what size
and the weight of the 5er you intend to purchase. The tow limitations of the truck you own or plan on purchasing. The dry weight of the 5er, the loaded weight, the hitch weight limits on the truck, combined weight of both. You really do need to do a lot of research online or in the library about towing, tow limits, weight limits, braking requirements etc.

DON'T BE OVERWHEMED. Just do a little at a time, this week the truck limits, next week the trailer size will be determined by your truck limits. get at less a 3500, or F-350 at a minimum. More truck reduces the white knuckle driving experiences you read about.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...tBy=price+desc

Newmar, Peterson, Excel, NuWa, Mckenzie, Doubletree, Travel Supreme, just to name a few are for the most part really good units. A lot will depend on the previous owner and what kind of maintenance he did if any.

The more time you spend looking the better you'll be at seeing the good & bad in most of the units, The single pane widows, the lack of insulation, the non-heated undercarriage, cheap laminated panels and cabinets are a dead give away.
Check all slide seals, top/bottom and sides for condition.
A cold winter draft no matter how far south you go is no fun..... The propane along with eat away at your pocketbook trying to keep up with the drafts. Most RV lots on long term rentals do not furnish electric. so you'll want a well insulated/good tight unit.
BEST OF LUCK & GODSPEED on all your future endeavors
Old 02-27-2018, 01:48 PM   #13

You listed all those brands of fifth wheels. I have heard of Nuwa but the rest are unfamiliar. I just wonder why I haven't seen these makes before.