Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #1

Painting a rubber roof

I have a 98 Golden Falcon fifth wheel permanently placed in an RV/Mobile Home Park. It is being pressure washed by someone who does a lot of work in this park. He tells me the roof needs to be painted and for me to go to Home Depot and get some silicone based white paint. Says he uses it all the time. He said it will last two or three years. I know Dicor has a special coating for EDPM rubber roofs, but has anyone every used silicone based paint on their roof? I'm sure the Dicor would last longer, but is there any harm in using this alternative? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxfan View Post
I have a 98 Golden Falcon fifth wheel permanently placed in an RV/Mobile Home Park. It is being pressure washed by someone who does a lot of work in this park. He tells me the roof needs to be painted and for me to go to Home Depot and get some silicone based white paint. Says he uses it all the time. He said it will last two or three years. I know Dicor has a special coating for EDPM rubber roofs, but has anyone every used silicone based paint on their roof? I'm sure the Dicor would last longer, but is there any harm in using this alternative? Thanks.
After the roof was cleaned, I went up and inspected it because the pressure washer guy said it had been painted before. What I saw was basically a white roof with large black areas where the white coating has worn off. Except for a few vntns that need to be recaulked, the roof looks sound. My questionis, is the EDPM rubber white clear through, or is it basically black with a white factory coating? Since it's a 1998 and I only bought this last year, I don't know the history and I'm trying to decide if the roof was actually painted in the past. My owner's manual states the roof doesn't need to be painted or have sealant applied. Just periodic cleaning. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #3

Google EDPM roof coating. Look at that web site and call them for information. I may have messed up, but they said my rig needed 6 gallons of EDPM, When I was done, I had 2 gallons left over. Supposed to last 15 more years.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #4

Painting the rubber roof

We have a rubber roof on our Rv. Last year my DH went to our RV store and purchased rubber roof primmer and rubber roof paint. You don't want to let your roof go until you develop leaks. Do a surch on the internet to read up on the subject. Maybe take a picture to show at the RV store. Follow the directions on the can. Tape off with blue painters tape at the endge where you don't want the roof coating to go. remove tape when you are done painting. Our roof looked so new when DH was done treating.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:58 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
White top, black interior. The white flakes off, leaving the black. It's time to replace. We have BriteTek and it's the same all the way through.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:04 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I wouldn't touch my roof with ANYTHING that has silicone in it, nothing will stick to it (not even another coating of it!). Other coatings last longer to boot.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
Google EDPM roof coating. Look at that web site and call them for information. I may have messed up, but they said my rig needed 6 gallons of EDPM, When I was done, I had 2 gallons left over. Supposed to last 15 more years.
I called Dicor and I was told my roof in it's current condition was fine for using their EDPM restore product. As I was reading the instructions, specifically the one for the cleaner, they say you need to use a respirator and rubber gloves, boots, etc. Then when you get it all applied, you have to pressure wash it all off! What was your experience as far as applying this product? You also said you used 4 gallons of coating. How big is your rig? My fifth wheel is 35 foot. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #8

When you google EDPM coatings, you will get the EDPM manufacturer. It is not Dicor site. The edpm site has a how to on a rv roof. My rv is 27ft and the product was about $70.00 gallon. I scrubed mine with a bristle brush and soap. I scraped off all the caulking that I could. I sanded with 50 grit paper all trim and 1/2 in of front and back cap. Installed a new AC cover and sanded it and all vents. I applied EDPM over everything on the roof. It is a very thick product and requires a strong squeege and a heavy bristle brush. It is a 2 part and sets up in 4 hrs if over 55 degree.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
When you google EDPM coatings, you will get the EDPM manufacturer. It is not Dicor site. The edpm site has a how to on a rv roof. My rv is 27ft and the product was about $70.00 gallon. I scrubed mine with a bristle brush and soap. I scraped off all the caulking that I could. I sanded with 50 grit paper all trim and 1/2 in of front and back cap. Installed a new AC cover and sanded it and all vents. I applied EDPM over everything on the roof. It is a very thick product and requires a strong squeege and a heavy bristle brush. It is a 2 part and sets up in 4 hrs if over 55 degree.
I just ordered this today to do seams. It seems like its a really good product. Its the one where you mix that little blue bottle of stuff in the gallon, right? It came to $80 dollars and something cents. They also sell in a 5 gallon bucket. I think the price was $300 plus dollars. I think it would be great for a whole rubber roof coating.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your on the right track using an EPDM coating instead of Silicone.

Here is a link to my blog detailing my experience with the EPDM coating called Liquid Rubber

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #11

I want to thank everyone for their input on this topic. I have learned a lot about EPDM roofs in this thread.
Products such as Dicor, Liquid Roof, and Elixir roof coating have all been mentioned, either in this thread on during my own research. The Elixir was recommended by a local RV Dealer's service manager. Another mobile home depot recommended a product by Lanco called Ultra Siliconizer but when I checked their website, the specs said "not for rubber roofs". I called the Lanco company to see if they had a product for EPDM. He said that the Ultra Siliconizer has been changed and it is now formulated for rubber roofs. He said go to Home Depot and the product with the red cover is the correct one. The label on the red cover Ultra does specify it is for EPDM.
Now my problem is I only have about one or two weeks left before returning home leaving my RV to sit here until next Fall, and I want to get my roof covered with something before we leave since the black membrane is exposed in several areas. I will probably go with the new formula Ultra Siliconizer for now. If it doesn't hold up, I can go with the more time consuming liquid roof that is discussed in this thread and the EPDM Coatings website. Thanks again for all your input an ideas. Happy RVing..
Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #12

10 Month Update

Well, it's been 10 months since I used the Lanco Ultra Siliconizer (red cover) on my roof. After sitting in the hot Florida sun all last summer, I am please to report that the coating has held up great. No oxidation or deteriation. I would definately use it again. It doesn't appear to have washed away at all and looks like it did after it was applied last March.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Well, it's been 10 months since I used the Lanco Ultra Siliconizer (red cover) on my roof. After sitting in the hot Florida sun all last summer, I am please to report that the coating has held up great. No oxidation or deteriation. I would definately use it again. It doesn't appear to have washed away at all and looks like it did after it was applied last March.

does it have the silicone in it that everyone says not to use because nothing will stick to silicone? and if so if it needed redoing would it be possible? thanks
Old 05-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
does it have the silicone in it that everyone says not to use because nothing will stick to silicone? and if so if it needed redoing would it be possible? thanks
Sorry for not getting back sooner. We have sold our fifth wheel so I no longer have access to the paint can. I purchased at Home Depot, so you could probably check it there.

Tags
roof