Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #1

Partial power

I'm going to start by saying I know very little about RVs. Anyways I have been living in a 2007 Springdale 5th wheel for a few months now. I had to relocate for work and I have had nothing but problems with it. Now I only have power to outlets and water heater. No power to any lights AC or fridge. The breakers are not tripped. I checked the plug and it seemed a little rough so I replaced and.... Still NOTHING. but I noticed if I flip the GEN breaker on and off really fast everything will begin working. I'm at a loss. I live in this darn thing and it is terrible to deal with. ANY Help would be appreciated. It's a 30 amp also
Tim.callison is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #2

Look at the wires around the batteries. There should be an in-line fuse there that may have blown.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
KIX

The items you mention as not working are all on the 12vdc circuit. Lights are all 12 vdc, reefer and AC have 12 vdc controls. So, check your battery charger, battery adn related wiring.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #4

Thank you

I have checked the fuse you were talking about and it's good. I will be checking the battery when I get back I really appreciate the help. It stinks loving in a camper with no lights and air with the Arkansas weather. I will be back at the camper on Thursday and will update the progress.
Tim.callison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #5

Tim,
Trace the positive wiring from the batteries--you should find a small relay/circuit breaker with 2 brass studs on it. There may be a very small reset button on the side of it that needs to be reset by pushing in on it--very hard to see the reset button.
This occurs on a lot of trailers, hopefully it is that simple for you.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.callison View Post
I'm going to start by saying I know very little about RVs. Anyways I have been living in a 2007 Springdale 5th wheel for a few months now. I had to relocate for work and I have had nothing but problems with it. Now I only have power to outlets and water heater. No power to any lights AC or fridge. The breakers are not tripped. I checked the plug and it seemed a little rough so I replaced and.... Still NOTHING. but I noticed if I flip the GEN breaker on and off really fast everything will begin working. I'm at a loss. I live in this darn thing and it is terrible to deal with. ANY Help would be appreciated. It's a 30 amp also
I'm having difficulty following this. I can't tell from the description if you are having issues with A/C or D/C voltage. So let me work thru my "so called" logic.
  1. You say NONE of the lights work which would sort of lead me down the D/C voltage path, but in my experience, there are generally 1 or 2 reading lights in the "living" area that are A/C powered. Do they work?
  2. I'll bypass the Air Conditioning not working because while the air conditioner is powered by A/C, the thermostat uses D/C which could cloud the issue.
  3. Do you have a fridge that works on gas or A/C? If so, manually put it on GAS. If it doesn't work on either, then proves that you have a D/C issue because the circuit board for the fridge uses D/C.
  4. On a side note: My 5er has a generator too, but there is no circuit breaker for it. The generator is on the power input side of the A/C circuit just like the power cable. There is a transfer switch that will allow power from the genny or power cable. So I am not sure what breaker you are talking about here BUT whatever it is, it could indicate a failing outlet which could be the one for the power convertor. I had a similar issue with my 2nd 5er. If you don't have a meter to check the outlet, use an electric power tool that you know works.

All of that said, and if the reset doesn't solve the problem as wingnut60 mentioned, check your Power convertor to see if it has D/C output. It should be in the 12V to 13V range. Also, there should be 1 or 2 fuses for the convertor output. If you have no output, make sure these fuses are good. If the fuses are good and there is no output, check the outlet the convertor is plugged into. If the outlet is OK, then you may have a bad convertor. The convertor can be anyplace. For example on my 1st 5er it was in the under sink cabinet. On my 2nd 5er it was in the same cabinet as 1 of the batteries. In my current 5er it is in an exterior cabinet all by itself.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power