RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2019, 08:05 AM   #1

PDI/Delivery Recommendations

Good Morning All,

We have PDI this afternoon and delivery tomorrow morning. We are looking for tips and advice. Right now, we are planning the following for PDI:

-Operate all faucets and check for leaks
-Operate toilet and check for leaks
-Operate washer and check for leaks
-Operate dishwasher and check for leaks
-Ensure got water heater is working
-Fill fresh tank enough to Optest water pump
-Ensure all electronics power on and function
-Ensure A/C and furnace operate as designed
-Check inside and outside fridge are working
-Ensure all doors open and close as they should
-Inspect all plumbing fittings for leaks
-Check cabinets and furniture for damage
-Check floors for damage
-Turn on all lights
-Ensure microwave/convection oven operates properly
-Ensure cook top operates properly

For delivery, ensure that all brake/turn/light functions work.

Any other tips and advice are much appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2019, 08:50 AM   #2

You have most of everything covered. Check all the drawers and cabinet inside the trailer and make sure they open and close properly. Bring along a "night light" and plug it into every outlet and make sure the AC current is there. If the trailer has an inverter check that the inverter is supplying power to the appropriate outlets and if it has a generator, start up the generator and check every electrical connection again.

Very Important, check the tire dates as well as their weight capacity and compare it to the weight of the trailer.

LJowdy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Good Morning All,

We have PDI this afternoon and delivery tomorrow morning. We are looking for tips and advice. Right now, we are planning the following for PDI:

-Operate all faucets and check for leaks
-Operate toilet and check for leaks
-Operate washer and check for leaks
-Operate dishwasher and check for leaks
-Ensure got water heater is working
-Fill fresh tank enough to Optest water pump
-Ensure all electronics power on and function
-Ensure A/C and furnace operate as designed
-Check inside and outside fridge are working
-Ensure all doors open and close as they should
-Inspect all plumbing fittings for leaks
-Check cabinets and furniture for damage
-Check floors for damage
-Turn on all lights
-Ensure microwave/convection oven operates properly
-Ensure cook top operates properly

For delivery, ensure that all brake/turn/light functions work.

Any other tips and advice are much appreciated.
There are any number of PDI checklists available; just search around and you should find one. FWIW, a =decent= dealer will send you off with =full= propane (both bottles) and a newer battery (check the date on it).

For the water system, I'd fill the tank =fully= then turn on the pump, and leave it on for a while, checking for leaks. Hook up the city water system and make sure it works.

Make sure all attached fixtures are mounted tightly. Light fixtures, TVs and mounts, faucets, shower head, etc.

Make sure tires are fully inflated. As LJowdy said, check the date codes on the tires, too. If they're > 1 year old and China bombs, I'd want compensation since you're likely to be replacing them in 1-2 years, so you've lost a year of their already short lifespan.

Lyle
Old 11-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
You have most of everything covered. Check all the drawers and cabinet inside the trailer and make sure they open and close properly. Bring along a "night light" and plug it into every outlet and make sure the AC current is there. If the trailer has an inverter check that the inverter is supplying power to the appropriate outlets and if it has a generator, start up the generator and check every electrical connection again.

Very Important, check the tire dates as well as their weight capacity and compare it to the weight of the trailer.

Thanks for the insight!
Old 11-21-2019, 09:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKnox View Post
There are any number of PDI checklists available; just search around and you should find one. FWIW, a =decent= dealer will send you off with =full= propane (both bottles) and a newer battery (check the date on it).

For the water system, I'd fill the tank =fully= then turn on the pump, and leave it on for a while, checking for leaks. Hook up the city water system and make sure it works.

Make sure all attached fixtures are mounted tightly. Light fixtures, TVs and mounts, faucets, shower head, etc.

Make sure tires are fully inflated. As LJowdy said, check the date codes on the tires, too. If they're > 1 year old and China bombs, I'd want compensation since you're likely to be replacing them in 1-2 years, so you've lost a year of their already short lifespan.

Lyle

Lyle,

Thanks for the additional items! Just out of curiosity, what is usual life span on tires for a fifth wheel? This is our first heavy trailer. The rule of thumb on MH is 7 years if no signs of cracking.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-21-2019, 09:54 AM   #6

One thing I would add is check any and all slides for proper seal both open then closed. The seals should fit flush and even all the way around with "NO protrusion" of any kind breaking the seal when the slide is out! All seals should be pliable not stiff. "Good Luck"
mrtown11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:10 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Pre-Delivery Inspection and Punch List

Super complete printable lists here. From the Entegra guys sticky lists. If from a dealer I would insist on an overnight stay with hookups and try everything with and without 120v power and dump to make sure all works well.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtown11 View Post
One thing I would add is check any and all slides for proper seal both open then closed. The seals should fit flush and even all the way around with "NO protrusion" of any kind breaking the seal when the slide is out! All seals should be pliable not stiff. "Good Luck"

I forgot to add that. I did have slides on my list.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Lyle,

Thanks for the additional items! Just out of curiosity, what is usual life span on tires for a fifth wheel? This is our first heavy trailer. The rule of thumb on MH is 7 years if no signs of cracking.

Thanks in advance!
My first FW, an '04 Komfort, lost its first tire the 2nd year we owned it, with < 1000 miles towed by me. I have no idea of the mfr dates as I wasn't as edumikated as I am now. :-) I replaced the other 3 in the 3rd year due to tread separation and stepped up to E tires from the OEM D. Ran those 4 tires for about 5 years and started seeing tread separation as well as severe checking. Replaced with a set of the original Carlisle RL, IIRC, and they were going into their 5th year when we sold it, still with minimal checking. 1st 2 sets were China bombs of one sort or another. ROT with ST tires is 4 years is about all you can hope for, 5 years and you're rollin' dem bones! :-)

Lyle
Old 11-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
Pre-Delivery Inspection and Punch List

Super complete printable lists here. From the Entegra guys sticky lists. If from a dealer I would insist on an overnight stay with hookups and try everything with and without 120v power and dump to make sure all works well.

Thanks! Canít do the overnight stay, but I plan to check all outlets and appliances. The only thing on this one, other than lights and water pump, that operates 12V is the inverter for the residential fridge.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKnox View Post
My first FW, an '04 Komfort, lost its first tire the 2nd year we owned it, with < 1000 miles towed by me. I have no idea of the mfr dates as I wasn't as edumikated as I am now. :-) I replaced the other 3 in the 3rd year due to tread separation and stepped up to E tires from the OEM D. Ran those 4 tires for about 5 years and started seeing tread separation as well as severe checking. Replaced with a set of the original Carlisle RL, IIRC, and they were going into their 5th year when we sold it, still with minimal checking. 1st 2 sets were China bombs of one sort or another. ROT with ST tires is 4 years is about all you can hope for, 5 years and you're rollin' dem bones! :-)

Lyle

Appreciate the heads up! Iíll check the manufacturer. We should be stationary for quite a while with jacks down. I plan to put tire covers on to protect from UV.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Appreciate the heads up! Iíll check the manufacturer. We should be stationary for quite a while with jacks down. I plan to put tire covers on to protect from UV.
Can't remember what you're getting, so don't know weights, but if you're light enough, and have 16" wheels, put some good E rated LTs on and have no worries. If you're approaching the 15k range, get some G rated Sailuns.

Lyle
Old 11-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #13

Hope not too late but pay $30 more for a group 27 battery vs the smaller group 24 battery.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #14

Or pay a few bucks more for a pair of 6V batteries in series.

consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote