Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2019, 07:50 PM   #1

Pennsylvania (PA) Class A Driver's License

Hey all,
In PA, anyone driving a combination truck/trailer with a a GCVW rating of over 26,001lbs must pass the Class A Non-Commercial driving test.

The catch is that you must have someone with you who has that class of license or higher, which in this case, would be a CDL - Class A.

Is anyone near Chambersburg, PA, that could help me out by joining me for the test?
Columbus J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2019, 08:10 PM   #2

This is for residents of PA, correct?
jeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeveler View Post
This is for residents of PA, correct?
Yes, residents of PA must have this endorsement on their license.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:22 AM   #4

The penndot website says this applies to commercial vehicles which do not include RV's used for personal use only.
johnsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsent View Post
The penndot website says this applies to commercial vehicles which do not include RV's used for personal use only.
I believe you are mistaken. The following quote is directly from the Pennsylvania DMV website (under NON Commercial Licenses):

• CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. Example: Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).
Doesn't that say "Recreational Vehicle"??? I believe that is non-commercial.

https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Servic...s/default.aspx

Same rules apply here in Texas - and I got my Class A Non-Commercial license a couple of months ago to pull our 16,300 pound fifth wheel with our F-350 dually.
RJShiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Very common mis-interpretation.
It is true you don't need a CDL...
But you do need a non-commercial DL
One has to include the regs in total and not take snippets out of context.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:30 AM   #7

Here is a cut and paste from commercial license faq's on penndot website:

Commercial motor vehicles do not include:
implements of husbandry;
any motor home or recreational trailer operated solely for personal use; or
motorized construction equipment, including, but not limited to, motorscrapers, backhoes, motorgraders, compactors, excavators, tractors, trenchers and bulldozers.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Here is a cut and paste from commercial license faq's on penndot website:

Commercial motor vehicles do not include:
implements of husbandry;
any motor home or recreational trailer operated solely for personal use; or
motorized construction equipment, including, but not limited to, motorscrapers, backhoes, motorgraders, compactors, excavators, tractors, trenchers and bulldozers.
I don't understand your post?
It's true COMMERCIAL regs Do Not apply to Rec vehicles... that doesn't mean you don't need ANY DL!!!
skip CDL stuff and go to the NON COMMERCIAL DL requirements others have quoted to find what does apply.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:24 AM   #9

I stand corrected.

I had not seen the non commercial requirements. Good thing my total rating is just under 25000.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Very common mis-interpretation.
It is true you don't need a CDL...
But you do need a non-commercial DL
One has to include the regs in total and not take snippets out of context.
So true. An example is our Tx commercial regs, the NON-CDL "A" requirement for RV's over 26001 gvwr is buried in the Exceptions to the Exemptions in the CDL handbook with no mention of the requirement in the regular handbook when I got my A.
It is enforced here as the guy building my new shop was telling me he was recently stopped by Tx DPS and he had to drop his trailer on the shoulder along with the ticket. He had to get a friend with a CDL to come get his rig.He never said why he was stopped.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJShiflet View Post
I believe you are mistaken. The following quote is directly from the Pennsylvania DMV website (under NON Commercial Licenses):

• CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. Example: Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).
Doesn't that say "Recreational Vehicle"??? I believe that is non-commercial.

https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Servic...s/default.aspx

Same rules apply here in Texas - and I got my Class A Non-Commercial license a couple of months ago to pull our 16,300 pound fifth wheel with our F-350 dually.
You are exactly right and that is why I asked if someone with either the non-commercial or commercial Class A would be located near my testing center to join me. Guys in the past were offering to help each other out, since there are so few people with this license endorsement, but, I didn't need it back then with my travel trailer. The new 5th Wheel is now a combined weight of 27,500lbs and so I need it.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:42 PM   #12

I'm retired and & not busy Thursday or Friday . Just get me a 1ST Class rt airline ticket & will drive you to the test.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:35 AM   #13

Sorry but im way over south of pittsburgh. I believe youre about 3 hrs away.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:29 PM   #14

Thanks, all, found a licensed person to ride-along!

Tags
class a, driver