Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2015, 08:10 PM   #1

Peterson Industries

DW & I have been FT'ing since last October in our 06 30 RSO Limited we bought 2 years ago as second owners. It's a great coach, 9 years old and everything still works great. I'm impressed with how well everything wears and looks. It's not the fanciest or most gadgety 5th wheel, however where it's important it's ROCK SOLID which is more important to us especially since we've decided FT'ing is what we want to do. I spent many days scouring the Tampa & Fort Meyers RV shows looking at everything and Peterson beats them all in our opinion. Second whenever I call Peterson I get straight answers and fantastic knowledgable service which is very rare in this industry. Keep that up Brian and Ralph it's your not so secret secret ingredient that sets you above all the others. How many times can you call a manufacturer with questions and get to speak with the President. Thanks for your knowledgable & and forthright candor with me today Brian. We like the 36 GKE Limited and will be working with a dealer to build our dream 5th wheel.
Just to be clear we could have decided on anything or any manufacturer including going the HD route with a 23K 5th wheel or a MH. We choose Peterson because of their quality products and more importantly the quality of people they are.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 04:58 AM   #2
paz

We looked at Excel when we were shopping for a 5th wheel. They are VERY impressive. We switched from a Tiffin motorhome, and we like the similarities between Tiffin and Peterson in that both companies are family-owned and provide very good customer service.

Unfortunately, new Excels were out of our price range. We looked and looked, but couldn't find everything we wanted in a used one so we ended up with SOB. So far, we're happy with our DRV; but we'll always consider Excel to be a "Cadillac" of 5th wheels.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:53 AM   #3

I'd suggest that you visit the factory for a tour. If you still feel the same way then go for it. I visited the factory and was not impressed.
2021 RAM 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans, 4:10 differential
2013 DRV Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 replaced by 2021 DRV
psaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:33 PM   #4

Why were you not impressed with Excel factory?
Scottie lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:06 AM   #5

Psaint, if you own a 2013 DRV why would you visit the Peterson factory?
Old 02-08-2015, 07:02 AM   #6
JDT

We visited the factory and we liked what we saw, enough to buy one.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:50 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
We visited the factory and we also liked what we saw. Enough to have bought our second one.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:21 PM   #8

Smile

I have owned both and Excel and now Mobile Suite...Just 3 Months ago while camping a tree fell on my Excel 35FLE Limited AT 3:OOa.m. while we were sleeping...It totally destroyed the RV, fortunately it fell on the rear of the coach and we were not hurt...It was a wonderful RV never no major problems it was 7 years old...Two week ago I purchased a Mobile Suite it has many more options then the Excel had...We have not been out in it yet,our 1st trip is scheduled for April...Beside it being pleasing to look at I am very impressed with its construction and I pay close attention to how RVs are built...I am a new member and will let all of you know how things go with our new Mobil Suite...
suiteowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #9

old and new 5th wheels

A tree fell on the Excel 3 months ago...We purchased the MS 2 weeks ago
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW CAMPER AND TRUCK.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	85975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ram and DRV.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	85976  

Old 03-03-2015, 07:27 PM   #10

I found this MS at Southern RV in Jonesboro Ga.

It is brand new and fully loaded with every available option...It is a 38RSSB3...Towing it the 800 miles back home to Maryland I was shocked how much heavier it is then the Excel was...But the Ram handled it wonderfully...
Old 03-22-2015, 08:15 AM   #11
GMR

Excel going out og business

I read a post from Excel this weekend that they are shutting their doors. It's to bad they were a great company.
GMR is offline   Reply With Quote