Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2016, 04:54 AM   #1

Pick up with 6' bed

Most of the trucks I'm looking at have a 6' bed. Is this going to be a problem towing a 5th wheel? Any info would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2016, 05:26 AM   #2

Towed Montana Mountaineer with Ford F-250 Super Duty Diesel 6 1/2' bed, zero problems. Also had slider hitch installed, but never used the slider. Modern fifth wheels have enough curvature on the front cap that you don't need a slider.

Just remember when you buy the truck, the gross vehicle weight includes the truck, full fluids, people weight, anything you carry in the truck and the tongue weight of the fifth wheel. Add this all up and see how close you are. You may find you are limited to the size and weight of your fifth wheel. Then there is the max tow weight to consider.

Having touched on weight issues, I'm sure the "weight police" will be here soon to boggle your mind over weight meanings and such.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:31 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
I checked into this when I got the Silverado crew cab with 5.5' bed. Was told to use a sliding 5th wheel so you can release a lever and slide the 5th wheel hitch back for extra cab clearance when backing into tight areas.
Not got a 5th wheel trailer so have no experience with one.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:59 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I prefer to have to 8' bed and then you do not worry about the trailer putting goonie dents in the truck or breaking out the rear window.

Plus a long bed gives a longer wheel base and a better ride.

Ken
Old 08-30-2016, 08:06 AM   #5

6' Bed

Been towing 5er with a 6' bed and Pullrite Superglide Automatic Slider for 13 years. Don't have to worry about making sharp turns or jackknifing into a site, just do it!!!!!!

C.B.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #6

I've had fifth wheels and tow vehicles with 6-1/2 ft beds since '89, before there were sliding hitches or special front caps. I have never had a problem. There is no need or benefit to getting the truck and trailer at 90 degrees.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Plus a long bed gives a longer wheel base and a better ride.

Ken
Not Really I have a Ram Mega Cab 6'5" short bed truck that has a longer wheel base than a Regular Cab long bed truck. The Mega Cab has a 160.5" wheel base and the Regular Cab long bed truck has a wheel base of 140.5" For the model year 2008. So please do not make general statements that are not true!

I do have a slider hitch and I have used the hitch several times as I back the trailer into real tight sites in some campgrounds and into my driveway at home. For day to day driving you do not need to activate the sliding portion of the hitch just when you need to in real tight spaces.

it is better to have than not have and wish you had the slider hitch.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #8

I also was told that I would need a sliding hitch because of the shorter box - and put out the extra money to buy one. Thus far, I haven't had to use it, but there may come a time when I do. Looking at the newer 5-ers, it looks like most of them have scooped and scalloped the front ends so hitting the pickup cab would be nearly impossible. That's not to say it can't happen.

Keep rollin' along!
2009 Cardinal 31SB; 2014 Silverado 2500 HD Crew Cab with Curt 16K Rolling Hitch
jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:33 PM   #9

Pick up with 6' bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Not Really I have a Ram Mega Cab 6'5" short bed truck that has a longer wheel base than a Regular Cab long bed truck. The Mega Cab has a 160.5" wheel base and the Regular Cab long bed truck has a wheel base of 140.5" For the model year 2008. So please do not make general statements that are not true!

I do have a slider hitch and I have used the hitch several times as I back the trailer into real tight sites in some campgrounds and into my driveway at home. For day to day driving you do not need to activate the sliding portion of the hitch just when you need to in real tight spaces.

it is better to have than not have and wish you had the slider hitch.

HIs statement is true if you interpret it correctly. The longer wheelbase is where the feel of improved towing comes in. Fiat just chooses to eat up the bed space with passenger space, and doesn't offer the "mega cab" in a long bed. There standard crew cabs seem smaller than the other brands, which I suspect is why the mega cab is so popular. I have a feeling you knew what his statement meant though.

My family of four rides pretty comfortably in my extended cab long bed.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
HIs statement is true if you interpret it correctly. The longer wheelbase is where the feel of improved towing comes in. Fiat just chooses to eat up the bed space with passenger space, and doesn't offer the "mega cab" in a long bed. There standard crew cabs seem smaller than the other brands, which I suspect is why the mega cab is so popular. I have a feeling you knew what his statement meant though.

My family of four rides pretty comfortably in my extended cab long bed.
No his statement is not correct "A LONG BED" truck of a 140.5" wheel base will not provide an improved ride over a short bed truck with a 160.5" wheel base.

At least not in my engineering days.

Oh and it was not FCA that introduced the Mega Cab. The first MEGA CAB truck was introduced in 2006 by I think Daimler/Chrysler or it could have been Cerberus Capital Management team. I know my truck was built under the Daimler/ Chrysler team in 2008.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
No his statement is not correct "A LONG BED" truck of a 140.5" wheel base will not provide an improved ride over a short bed truck with a 160.5" wheel base.

At least not in my engineering days.

Oh and it was not FCA that introduced the Mega Cab. The first MEGA CAB truck was introduced in 2006 by I think Daimler/Chrysler or it could have been Cerberus Capital Management team. I know my truck was built under the Daimler/ Chrysler team in 2008.

Yep. It is safe to say that you knew exactly what was meant by his comment.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:03 AM   #12

I have a Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 with a 6ft bed. PullRite Superglide hitch and no problems.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:06 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
I will have to have a slider hitch or Reese Sidewinder pin box when I get my 5th wheel. But then my F150 has a 5 1/2 ft. bed. When I get a 3/4 ton truck a "short bed" will be 6 1/2 (on most) or standard 8 ft.

I'm really thinking the Sidewinder (or Revolution from the OEM same thing) is the way to go. Anyone using it?
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:40 AM   #14

You always have the option to order a truck exactly the way you want it. We have done this on our last three trucks. Takes about 6 weeks to arrive at dealers. Research and know what options you want. It is as as easy as the salesman just entering the info on a computer an pushing the "submit" button.