Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Picking up New Jayco 351 RLTS after Christmas

Well, Looks like wife and I will pickup our new 5ver after xmas.

Its a Jayco 351 RLTS.

Looking for any input and comments. I'm planning on doing to through PDI with the dealer but I'm sure the good folks here may have some insight on things that I may not be thinking of.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Congratulations. Jayco has a good reputation & I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Post pics when you get it. We'd all love to see.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:44 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
The DW and I love our Jayco Eagle,,I am sure you will love your,s also,,,,
Old 01-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Well, we didn't pickup the camper on Tuesday, the 28th, as planned. It was going to be in the 20's and I didn't feel like trying to do a PDI in freezing weather so I called and put it off till the next day when I knew the weather would be better.

Got to Ocean Grove RV in St. Augustine Wednesday and allowed them to take me through "Their PDI" to begin with. In doing so, I noticed where some caulking needed some touched up. When the tech was showing us the light switches it appeared that one of the security lights over the electrical hookup wasn't working and they couldn't, at the time figure out what was going on so we left the camper and came home until they could find the problem. Before we left I also had them order two MAXAIR II vent covers to install over the two vents. The vent covers were expected to arrive and be installed on Friday.

On Thrusday afternoon Ocean Grove called and said they had resolved the issue regarding the outside light over the Electrical Hookup. I told them we'd be there Friday.

Friday morning Ma and I left to get the camper. Once I arrived I spoke with the tech and found out that the only problem with the light had been misinformation. As it turned out, the switch that the tech thought should be activating the light in back was wrong. Oh Well..

At that point I started doing MY PDI since I had let them do theirs on Wednesday. Right off the bat things started going the wrong direction.

The camper has a remote unit that works with all three slides, the awning, the rear stabilizer jacks, and the front jacks. Well the remote will not work consistently. You can hear it trying to deploy the slide(s) but they don't move. You can get things to work sometimes by turning the remote receiver units in the storage area off and back on sometimes. I will say that on Wednesday the remote unit did work for the most part from what I saw so I don't know what's going on here. Jayco was closed for New years so we'll have to wait and see.

Another issue that I found was on what I call the "Cathedral Window". The seal between the window frame and the glass window on the bottom middle goes down behind frame so water would, in my opinion collect and eventually start to leak there. They are submitting this to Jayco for replacement but have sealed it with caulk for now.

The Screen Door has to be adjusted as it will not lock in place. Tried it by itself and with it connected to the door. This is a minor adjustment for sure.

In the kitchen, I found that the left side on one of the top drawers is rubbing against a screw head because the screw wasn't installed flat.

My wife spotted that the white lining on the bottom of the couch needs to be folded back under and tacked/stapled. We told them not to cut the material cause it would probably start to fray apart.

I found a piece of trim between the wall/ceiling in the bathroom over the hallway door is a little loose and needs to be stapled better.

The last issue that I noticed was that with the living room slides (2 of them) pulled in, I can see light in the corners on the floor. Looks like a opening of about 1 x 1 or bigger on both slides. Told them they need to check both ends of both slides and close up the openings as I'm sure that mice and other critters will find them faster than you can shake a stick.

Also because UPS wasn't delivering ground on Friday, the MAXAIR vents didn't come in so that will have to wait until this week for delivery/install.

Guess we wait and see how things go from here.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #5

Gotta love it when buyers pay attention to where their money is going...stay firm on getting it all fixed before signing off.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #6

We had a designer series Jayco 5er for 10 years. We used the living poop out of that trailer and pulled it over 80,000 miles It was the very best 37,0000$ we ever spent. I never replaced a thing other then a mirror and tires on it After the initial kinks were ironed out she proved to be a truly fabulous trailer. In many ways I wish I had not sold her. My wife, myself, and 3 kids went all over the US and Canada pulling her everywhere. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your new Jayco. Jayco has proven to many here to set the gold standardon cutomer service. Jayco after the warrenty was over continued to be very customer service oriented and actually mailed out a new converter of a different brand after 3 previous Todd converters failed. Todd converters had lots of troubles and the Todd company went out of business. Sadly, my experience with most trailer dealers is that they are barely able to muddle through the sale... after they have your $, you must rely on the good will of the manufactuer. Every time I called Jayco and talked to Diane who I became friendly with, they did everything and more to see me satisfied. Overall, I could not have been happier. You should recieve the very best customer service from them and no, I have never worked for Jayco.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 01-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #7

Sure would like an update on your experiences. We are close to getting this unit also and it really looks good. What are you pulling it with?
norty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty View Post
Sure would like an update on your experiences. We are close to getting this unit also and it really looks good. What are you pulling it with?
Norty, We are still waiting for a call from the dealer regarding the warranty work on the cathedral window and the remote unit capability. Jayco was going to have them run test on the Remote Receiver Units from what I understand.

Plan for a Full day to do your inspection. Your dealer will want to just walk you thru it and then hand you the Jayco document for Signature. In order to inspect the Cathedral Window and other stuff up high you need to either be able to borrow a ladder from them or take your own with you.

They will make you think they went thru the camper but I can tell you I doubt they spent more than an hour, if that, in it. When we turned on the to A/C units we had junk from the initial install go flying all into the camper out of all the vents. If they had turned them own during their PDI that wouldn't have happen. I found that closing off vents helped get more out because it increased the air pressure. I also called ahead and asked them to turn on the furnace to help burn it off before we got into it.

Well be pulling with the 07 F-350 for now.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Well, its the 18th and the only word we've heard from the dealer is that:

A) They received and installed the MAXAIR II vent covers

B) They have received the Key Blanks that I had requested for the spare keys but I will have to have them made somewhere else because I don't think they have the ability to cut keys there.

C) They looked for the openings where I was able to see light coming in at the bottom corner of the slides and they couldn't see any light.

D) Jayco wanted them to run some test on the remote receivers so see if they were the problem.

I have heard nothing else at this point on the window issue or the rest of the items listed above.

Guess I'll be calling them for info tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:01 PM   #10

Sorry to hear of all your issues with your 5er and the dealership. These guys are your best friends when selling you a unit aren't they? That just makes me think of what they actually look for (obviously not much). I will also have to pay more attention to detail on the next one. Please keep us posted unless you don't want to relive the nightmare.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:38 AM   #11

Picking up New Jayco 351 RLTS after Christmas

We have had our 351 for almost 4 years now and it has held up well. No major warranty problems and few minor ones.

norty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
351, eagle, jayco, rlts