RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2019, 02:12 PM   #1

Pin Box & Critters

I'm sure this has probably been discussed somewhere on the forum, but I don't see it.

Just curious what others do to keep bird nest, etc. out of the pin box in the off season. What are others doing to keep critters from building a nest in the pin box when stored?

Appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rattlesnake works!

Or you could close the hole with a styrofoam block, cut to fit.

rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #3

My cord rolled up blocks mine....
Old 03-20-2019, 06:53 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I keep the power cord and safety breakaway stored in the pin box area, so far it's worked out well.
RAM 6.7 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:59 PM   #5

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
A cheap beach ball shoved into the pin box and then inflated closes it up perfectly.....even with the umbilical cord and breakaway cable in the cavity.
jdpm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:52 PM   #6

Location: From California currently traveling this great country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
I'm sure this has probably been discussed somewhere on the forum, but I don't see it.

Just curious what others do to keep bird nest, etc. out of the pin box in the off season. What are others doing to keep critters from building a nest in the pin box when stored?

Appreciate your thoughts and ideas.
I dont store it...I know I know that isn't helpful
poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:10 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
When we had a 5-r, I bungee'd an 8 gallon trash bag around the pin box. I'd put it on when we put the RV to bed in Nov. Only had to keep putting it back on (between trips) until about mid-Summer. After that, the nesting season was over & no more bird issues....until the next year.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:56 AM   #8

After finding a bird nest in ours, I started to stick bubble wrap in the pin box. No more birds.
johnsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:34 AM   #9

Well what I did to keep critters out was this. When we built our new house I also built a 30' x 50' by 14' high ceiling Pole Barn with a six inch concrete floor and full 100 amp electrical service along with 14' roll-up and 7' standard garage doors. One half was fully insulated and heated for shop purposes, with the other half for what ever RV I had at the time to reside in when not in use. So far it has housed two motorhomes, two trailers and two fifth wheels.

BUT to my surprise when one day i was on the heated side and what did I spy but a little critter making it's way across the floor. It is amazing what size hole a mouse can fit through.

I would like to add that units kept outside should also be checked underneath for the smallest openings. They do have a critter repellent foam called Pest Block that I have used to try and keeps critters at bay when out and about camping.

My 2 cents worth..............
Mike-Rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:48 AM   #10
IC2

On the last 5er I made up a cover with magnets on the corners to hold it in place. I did the same with this one but somhow it disappeared and I need to make another. Thin luan plywood and 4 rare earth magnets from eBay along with a few miutes assembly time is all it takes. I added a knob from my odds and ends box as well
Old 03-21-2019, 03:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyof5 View Post
I dont store it...I know I know that isn't helpful
Agreed. Not helpful!

However, I can appreciate a little bragging about not having to store your unit (am I a little jealous? Yep!).

Those of us in sticks and bricks are looking forward to getting back out there now that spring is officially here on the calendar. Now if spring weather would just show up in Ohio, that would be great!
Old 03-21-2019, 03:03 PM   #12

Thanks for the replies. All good ideas.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:20 PM   #13

Google Hitch Vest pin box cover. I use it and it works well.
ddmac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:48 PM   #14

WOW good ideas, I like the one with the beach ball. can't keep the bubble wrap, the grandkids, daughter, and wife like popping the bubbles.

retiremil is offline   Reply With Quote