Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2016, 01:16 AM   #1

Pin Box bird's nest

Well....I made a big mistake this year. I normally block off that pin box over the winter so that come spring I don't end up with a bird's nest in there. It's happened before. This year however I'm towing the camper for the first time earlier than usual. We're heading out in 2 weeks. I was doing some maintenance on the camper this past week and noticed a bird fly up into the pin box. That was when I remembered about blocking it off. Go up and check to see if a nest was in there and sure enough...chicks chirping. Sounded very very young. Now I have a decision to make concerning these little fellas. I really hate to kick them out of there as that's certainly a death sentence but we're scheduled to leave in 2 weeks. Any advice? I didn't notice the type of bird but I'm guessing 2 weeks isn't going to be enough time for them to fledge out.

What about if I built them a box to put where my camper will be and moved the entire nest to it? I'm guessing that won't work but I don't really see many options here that ends well for these guys.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 04:39 AM   #2

I would wait until it's time to ride and pull the nest and the little ones out, and try to put them in a hedge bush. That worked for me the last time I was faced with this same issue.

Mamma and Daddy bird didn't like me much at the time I evicted them but I do know the little ones lived. And if by chance the little ones get out and start running around the yard, they will make it ok. Once Mamma calms down and corrals them up that's where they'll start flight school.

Doesn't always end up like that so you just gotta do what you gotta do. You're paying the bills on the fiver, not them.

Good luck
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #3

thanks....it was a bone head move on my part. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll be gone by the time we're ready to roll. I did some reading and seems 2-3 weeks is about the nest time for most song birds so it'll be close. Hopefully they'll at least be old enough to survive. I will try to relocate that nest a day or 2 before we're ready to leave so I can kinda keep an eye on them.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry for your trouble and kudos on your respect for life...even the little baby birds.

But, whatever you do, please protect yourself while removing the nest. A birds nest can often be home to tiny parasites (mites and such) that will jump on to you. Mites can carry bad stuff that you don't want to deal with.

Wear gloves and also protect your face, to prevent transfer of these tiny moochers into the RV or any pets you have.

Better safe than sorry
Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #5

thanks for the advice....I actually had thought of wearing latex gloves but not for the mite issue which I hadn't thought of but more for controlling my scent and keeping it off the birds. I will take your advice though and I have painters masks here so I'll wear one of those while moving it. Ideally they'll be gone and I can just rake the nest out onto the ground all call it good to go but it'd be nice to have a back up plan in case they aren't.

I do have a respect for life. I'm a hunter so it's not like I latch onto every little thing but I also don't like making mistakes that needlessly takes a life. I can promise that I will never forget to block off that pin box again.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:53 PM   #6

We had that same problem two years ago, they were House Finches in our case. We got real lucky, they fledged before we left on our trip. Now I wrap the entire pin box in heavy plastic every Feb. before the birds even think about building a nest.
Bill
Old 05-02-2016, 02:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
We had that same problem two years ago, they were House Finches in our case. We got real lucky, they fledged before we left on our trip. Now I wrap the entire pin box in heavy plastic every Feb. before the birds even think about building a nest.
Bill
that was my plan......I just forgot all about it over the winter. I normally put a piece of cardboard in there and that keeps them out. I'm hoping I get lucky too and they're gone in 2 weeks. Just have to wait and see. Sorta out of my hands at this point. Just give them space and let them do their thing.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #8

I would suggest 2 things. If your going to move the nest do it now while they are still nestling. Much easier on the Mama. If while movung one falks out just put it back in the nest. A birds sense of smell is almost nothing so Mama won't abandon them. The other option is to find a wildlife rehabilitator in your area and ask them for help. If nothing else they will take the babies to raise to assure theircsurvival
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:06 PM   #9

Moving the nest might very well work. Once the chicks begin chirping, the parents will continue feeding them. I am aware of one pair of
robins that successfully raised a brood with their nest built on a school bus that bade rounds twice a day.

As for you odor, don't worry about it. most species of birds have almost no sense of smell.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:40 AM   #10

Happened to me once--asked around and found a lady with a rep for helping birds. We were needing to leave in about 3 days. She came out and we placed a) a stepladder about halfway between trailer box and house eave; b) placed a birdhouse hanging from the house eave. She then carefully removed the nest from the pin box and placed it on the paint can step on the stepladder and we all left the area. In about an hour, the adult birds found the nest and began feeding the little ones. She left, but came back in about 4 hours and moved the nest to the birdhouse--parents followed once again and all was well. We got to leave on time and the birdhouse was empty when we returned in a month.
The nest can be moved, just need to be careful, and I think the new location needs to be within hearing distance of the old location.
And I now place the wiring harness where birds can't enter the box area.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:38 AM   #11

We had a dove nest on top of the pinbox and moved it about 10 feet over to the woodpile, the momma bird is still sitting on the eggs.
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugersdad View Post
We had a dove nest on top of the pinbox and moved it about 10 feet over to the woodpile, the momma bird is still sitting on the eggs.
wonder if that bird is thinking " I'm going out of my mind.....I coulda swore this nest was about 10' away from here."

Went out today and checked on birds. Didn't hear any chirping coming from the pin box. Going to check it in the morning and tomorrow evening and see if I hear anything.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:35 PM   #13

If the chicks hear you/see you, they will be silent. Don't approach with noise or where you shadow is notable. Don't know where you are, but around DFW, first nestlings are long gone, and 2nd shifts are beginning.
Good luck, I am an old softie and worry about such things...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote