Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #29

Thanks Jaycocampers. Great design, looks solid.

I haven't start building my bracket, but here's a drawing of what I had in mind.Click image for larger version

Name:	Proposed Pinbox reciever mounting bracket.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	32742

The idea is to have the mounting plate mimic the pinbox with flanges down the sides enough to allow bolts there as well as on the top. This way the load will be distributed to the corners and sides of the pin box not just the flat portion.

Thanks
Aaron

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #30

Looks good. Just be sure you come over the side far enough. So those bolts are down the sides far enough that you don't have interference with the nuts, and the wrench to hold then. I also don't think the side bolts at the front are needed, that part has force pushing down most of the time. You’re also more likely to have internal interference down at the front, and you have less room to work with.
There are lots of folks that haul bikes with just the 4 bolts in the top. I've never heard of anyone having a problem. But you will I think be 50lb heavier than what I am. If it's stronger than it has to be that’s ok.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:18 AM   #31

Here is the one I did for our 5th wheel. To haul generators, just take a standard 2-4" drop hitch and turn it upside down for the base of your platform and get to welding.

golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #32

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-376156183.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	506.6 KB
ID:	33097

Name:	image-1136426759.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	33096

Name:	image-2677849600.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	33095

Here is the hitch I built for the pin box on my fifth wheel. Opted not to drill holes in the top. I used 4 of the holes that the pin box bolts to the frame with. Works great. It will hold a ton of weight.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
Here is the one I did for our 5th wheel. To haul generators, just take a standard 2-4" drop hitch and turn it upside down for the base of your platform and get to welding.

Thanks golfmedik, it looks great. I would like to know the story behind the double receiver, is the lower one just so you can see your level?

I still haven't started on my pinbox receiver, so would like to know what your thoughts are on the double.

Here are some pictures of my Generator box.

Name:	Generator box4.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	33102
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Thanks again
Aaron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Generator box10.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	33103  
Old 02-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emort78 View Post
Attachment 33097

Attachment 33096

Attachment 33095

Here is the hitch I built for the pin box on my fifth wheel. Opted not to drill holes in the top. I used 4 of the holes that the pin box bolts to the frame with. Works great. It will hold a ton of weight.
Thanks Emort78. Great design, I'm definitely going to explore this design. This is great input.

Not sure you have followed this entire post but here are a few pictures of my Generator box. Bought a 60 x 24 aluminum storage box. It has two Honda EU2000 and a 12 gal fuel tank. I bought a EZ Flow build it yourself generator extended fuel system with generator caps. The small cut out is for the on/off switch and the larger cut out is for the exhaust, the exhaust cut out doors will swing down out away from the heat.

Name:	Generator box4.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	33113

Name:	Generator box10.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	33114

Thanks
Aaron
Old 02-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #35

Thanks Amonks. Generator box looks great. I haven't seen a better design than that one if you can't fit it in the front cargo area like my fiver .

The sides of the pin box hitch are 3/8" x 2". The 2 center sections are 2x2 square tubing 1/4" wall. Then the hitch receiver on top is from farm n fleet. The 2 sides go back and are bolted on where the pin box bolts to the frame. Works great. Plenty strong. I'm not knocking any one else's design but I didn't want to drill holes in the top of the pin box. I didn't know if it would weaken the pin box. Probably wouldn't but I didn't want to find out the hard way.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonks View Post
Thanks golfmedik, it looks great. I would like to know the story behind the double receiver, is the lower one just so you can see your level?

I still haven't started on my pinbox receiver, so would like to know what your thoughts are on the double.

Here are some pictures of my Generator box.
Attachment 33102
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Thanks again
Aaron
Ii all started with the lower receiver because I was using a rack that the bikes would hang from. As you can imagine, I was quite disappointed when the level was hidden. Then I bought the platform rack that you see in the pic. When in place it was just too close for comfort to my tool box. Not to hit it, but I couldn't get it open if the truck/trailer was not in a straight line(fire extinguisher in tool box too). So I went back and added another receiver to the top which gave me more clearance for the tool box and allowed the level to be seen. I had already planned to move the level, when I decided to add another receiver. So that's how it came to be a double decker receiver. So I tell most people that it was planned that way to see the level!!!
It does give me an option of using the different racks, but I had also thought of carrying a portable generator up there when not carrying the bikes. I have an onboard Onan, but would like another while dry camping at times. I have a 4" drop hitch that I turned upside down and welded a platform onto so the generator can sit flat on it with short pieces of angle iron to keep it in place. Bolt holes with eye bolts on either side so it can be tied down easily. Only problem is that it hasn't left the yard due to the family wanting the bikes all the time.

golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote