Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2015, 08:22 PM   #1

Pinboxes and Suspensions

I bought a new Mobile Suite 38RSSB3 this past January...It is the 3rd 5th wheel I have owned 1st being Heartland...And my 2nd one was an Excel Limited nice trailer we loved it...I didn't order my MS a dealer in GA. had it in stock...I live in Maryland so my 1st trip with the MS was a 800 mile trip home...The 1st thing I noticed when pulling off the dealers lot was how quite the trailer was when towing no noise,chucking or bouncing of any sort...The MS is equipped with a Trailair Triglide pinbox and the Trailair Center Point suspension...I am amazed with this setup,my wife loves camping but in all our years doing this, she has never felt comfortable in the truck when we were pulling our trailers due to the pouncing and chucking, this system totally eliminated all of that...I have been reading about Moryde pinboxs and suspensions I have never owned one of them so I can't give you my opinion on them...But I can't imagine how they could be as good as the Trailair systems...
suiteowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2015, 09:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiteowner View Post
I bought a new Mobile Suite 38RSSB3 this past January...It is the 3rd 5th wheel I have owned 1st being Heartland...And my 2nd one was an Excel Limited nice trailer we loved it...I didn't order my MS a dealer in GA. had it in stock...I live in Maryland so my 1st trip with the MS was a 800 mile trip home...The 1st thing I noticed when pulling off the dealers lot was how quite the trailer was when towing no noise,chucking or bouncing of any sort...The MS is equipped with a Trailair Triglide pinbox and the Trailair Center Point suspension...I am amazed with this setup,my wife loves camping but in all our years doing this, she has never felt comfortable in the truck when we were pulling our trailers due to the pouncing and chucking, this system totally eliminated all of that...I have been reading about Moryde pinboxs and suspensions I have never owned one of them so I can't give you my opinion on them...But I can't imagine how they could be as good as the Trailair systems...
I'll report to you in a week how the Mor/ryde system works. I just bought my first-ever 5th wheel and go to pick it up next Thursday. It's got the Mor/ryde IS along with the pin box. I'm sure I'll feel every bump and chuck as we drive back home. I like the way the TrailAir pin box looks. It appears that it would absorb more bumps than the Mor/ryde one.
tampabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:07 AM   #3

The MorRyde pinbox and IS suspension is phenomenal. You will not be disappointed. No chucking in any capacity, even over rail-road crossings. While the trailair is pretty cool with the big airbag and whatnot (not sure if OP has the rotoflex or airbag one) and it looks pretty fancy, I'm under the impression from the research I've done that the MorRyde is actually a better pinbox. It has vertical dampening like an airbag, but also lateral dampening side to side and front to back. I just got back from our first trip with the MorRyde setup and couldn't be happier.

The IS suspension is without a doubt much better than anything equipped with conventional axles.

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436.
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4
Old 07-31-2015, 07:20 PM   #4

On our 07.5 I had the TrailAir kingpin and added the TriGlide it had the air bag CenterPoint suspension. I really like it.

The new 16 39TKSB3 has the TriGlide and TrailAire Kingpin but we opted for the MorRyde suspension.

The new combo is the best I have had so far!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:49 PM   #5
JDT

We have a Demco Glide Ride pin box and Center Point air suspension on the Excel. On the truck I have a Trailer Saver BD3 air hitch and Air Lift bags on the rear axle. Added all together we have a really smooth ride. We got a lot of chucking with the single rear wheel truck we had until a year ago even with the Demco and Air Lifts. Before our first pull with the new truck I installed the Center Points on the Excel and the Trailer Saver on the truck. Overkill probably but the wife was so uncomfortable with our previous set up that I wanted to be sure it would not happen with the new one.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:09 AM   #6

Fifth Airborne Pin Box

We have had a Fifth Airborne extended pin box for over 6 years and love it. Reese now has it in their line. It has both a shock absorber and inflatable bladder so you can adjust for the pin weight. Both the shock and bladder are inside the pin box where they are protected. No chucking or bouncing.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #7

Hi, I may need to get a Fifth Airborne (Sidewinder version) to help with unacceptable chucking (push/pulling on truck). It is not clear to me how the Fifth Airborne addresses this though since it appears to move only in the up and down direction. I wish the Mor/RYDE Rubber Pin Box was an option for me but I think I need to keep the Sidewinder with the F250 6 3/4 ft. bed. Not totally sure though.
SoCADesertRat - Did you have chucking before you added the Fifth Airborne? Did it significantly reduce the chucking?
Thanks for any information.
Garyl53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyl53 View Post
Hi, I may need to get a Fifth Airborne (Sidewinder version) to help with unacceptable chucking (push/pulling on truck). It is not clear to me how the Fifth Airborne addresses this though since it appears to move only in the up and down direction. I wish the Mor/RYDE Rubber Pin Box was an option for me but I think I need to keep the Sidewinder with the F250 6 3/4 ft. bed. Not totally sure though.
SoCADesertRat - Did you have chucking before you added the Fifth Airborne? Did it significantly reduce the chucking?
Look into one of these. It controls up and down along with fore and aft movement.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:49 PM   #9

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Look into one of these. It controls up and down along with fore and aft movement.

Does this really do fore and aft also? I was told while doing a factory tour that this only stops the up and down and you need the Mor/Ryde for the fore and aft. I do not know anything about these only what one person says versus another.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Does this really do fore and aft also? I was told while doing a factory tour that this only stops the up and down and you need the Mor/Ryde for the fore and aft. I do not know anything about these only what one person says versus another.
If it works anything like my 5th Airborne pin box it works for everything - all directions. On my 5th Airborne, the shock absorber and air bladder are inside the pin box instead of outside. It smooths out the towing.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyl53 View Post
Yes and yes! With the basic extended pin box the chucking and bouncing and noise was disconcerting. After the install of the 5th Airborne extended pin box 6 1/2 years ago all has been tamed down. We love it! You must adjust the air pressure correctly. Over or under will result in poor performance. Mine has a line on the side that says "fill to line" which lets you adjust the air based on pin weight at that time. Just remember that the bladder is very small and holds a small volume of air so it you use a high pressure air hose just give it a short burst. I have never filled mine over 100 psi and usually run it around 80 psi depending how it is loaded.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:08 AM   #12

Thanks for the information. Very helpful!
Garyl53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Yes it does control the fore and aft verry well. That portion of the hitch is called TriGlide.

Tags
suspension