Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #1

Please chime in on drafty slide question

Hello, we live in an 03' Itasca Suncruiser and have done a lot of research on the possibility of moving to a 5th wheel. I am aware of Jayco and NuWa and Excel and so forth but we really like one particular Montana (3465SA) and they seem like popular well built middle of the road. I felt they would be a good coach for full-timing as we are now. Our MH has never had an issue with this and I consider this many complaints about coaches an issue with build quality or design flaw. The exception here is that there are so many Montanas sold in comparison to other coaches that it may not be fair to judge like this so I'm taking a poll about this issue with slide draft.
Something has come up in my research and I am wanting to hear what your experience is SPECIFICALLY WITH REGARD TO DRAFTY AIR COMING IN FROM THE SLIDES. Of course any other comments are welcome. I have been reading through the following forum on the Montana Owners site and becuase there are so many complaints about drafty slides I am about ready to cancel a deal I have pending on a 5th wheel.
DO YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH DRAFTS COMING IN FROM YOUR SLIDE OUTS IN THE COLD OR WINDY WEATHER (any type of 5th wheel or RV).
kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Not an issue for us. Your poll won't allow for rig info unless the respondent posts. Ours in our sig.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:42 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
5th wheel leaked air like a sieve, MH very tight.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #4

I owned a designer series Jayco that I liked very much... the only problem was the bedroom was always cold. In winter unbearably so. I decided to investigate. I took off the enclosure under the front overhang and found 1 inch insulation wrapped around the frame under the bedroom. I took it all out and replaced it with 2 inch rigid foam cut tightly to fit around the framing members and then under the bed did the same. It took perhaps 3 hours not including r and r of the skin and perhaps 35$. Then out of interest took off all the underbelly to investigate. Here too there was minimal insulation. There is a lot of room between the underside of the floor and the underbelly. I inserted R38 insulation everywhere it would fit and kept it away from the slide mechanismsand used nylon netting to keep it where i wanted it. I put everything back together. Wow! what a difference. I figure it also saved on my propane ussage too.
After that that jayco stayed toasty even in snow and hard frost. I only spent total about 100$ and perhaps 8 hours labor but it made a huge impact on the winter comfort. Interestingly, it had little impact in summer but the winters now were very comfortable in the bedroom.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #5

We're having minor problems with the blade seal on the bottom of the bedroom slide-out. The original owner (from whom we purchased) had only used it a couple of times in the previous 18 months and it had been parked outside with the slides deployed most of the time.

The seal's blade has rolled over along part of its lengh and the section attached to the sill of the MH wall is lifting. I'm going to get some adhesive to stick it back to the sill and get some dry lubricant to spray the blade and the underside of the slide.

In addition, the vertcal seal on the inner wall of the RV, which the slide squishes up to when deployed, has com adrift for about the lower 10".

With both these issues, we do get drafts blowing in, but more disturbing is that the gaps are big enough for some of the undesirable critters to board.

We're not fully operational for this season yet (medical problems with older dog), so I'm working on things and don't plan any trips east of the Cascades until I've fixed these issues. We don't need chimpunks, marmots and rattlesnakes joing us during the night!
Old 07-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
5th wheel leaked air like a sieve, MH very tight.
It would be helpful to specify what make and model that you had a problem with.

Without that information, there isn't much point to this thread. Air leakage is likely more a function of construction quality rather than whether the rig is a FW or MH.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
It would be helpful to specify what make and model that you had a problem with.
Correct, meant to put that in and forgot...5th wheel was a 2007 Montana 3400 RL. Great RV, wonderful floor plan and virtually no system or mechanical problems. It was just drafty and not all drafts were from the slides. One reason there are so many complaints about the Montanas is that there are so many on the road, best selling 5th wheel for the 10th year in a row.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #8

When any slide room is retracted there will be air movement at the bottom side, but when extended the seals stop that. When our current 5er was a week old the bedroom slide did not seal and allowed drafts. This was because it was not adjusted properly by the mfgr. or the selling dealer. A simple adjustment by the factory service center remedied that quickly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide