Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2018, 07:27 PM   #1

Please help, converter install gone bad!

All, I am new to owning a camper, I just purchased a 2014 Keystone Cougar 335RBK. I have noticed that when I pick the camper up from storage that the battery would go dead when using the landing gear. So, just before we went camping yesterday I swapped out the battery. I made sure that the camper was not plugged in to shore power and swapped batteries out. I got a good spark when connecting the negative lead to the battery but didn't think much about it. Long story short I smoked my converter. Today I drove all over to find a replacement. Found one, turned all the breakers off, made sure the camper was not plugged to shore power and hooked it up. I ended up smoking the BRAND NEW CONVERTER as well. Someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. The only thing I can think of is:

I should have turned the battery disconnect to off before hooking up the battery

I should have hooked up the negative lead first then the positive

Maybe the converter needs shore power before DC current is attached.

I did not hook up the battery in reverse. I did not hook up the converter backwards either.

Please help, I am getting a third converter tomorrow. If I smoke this one I am going to roll my camper into the lake!!!
tinpusher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2018, 07:33 PM   #2

Got a voltmeter?.....before hooking up the battery, check voltage between the neg post and the cable.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:37 PM   #3

Negative post of the battery and what cable?
Old 04-04-2018, 07:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpusher1 View Post
All, I am new to owning a camper, I just purchased a 2014 Keystone Cougar 335RBK. I have noticed that when I pick the camper up from storage that the battery would go dead when using the landing gear. So, just before we went camping yesterday I swapped out the battery. I made sure that the camper was not plugged in to shore power and swapped batteries out. I got a good spark when connecting the negative lead to the battery but didn't think much about it. Long story short I smoked my converter. Today I drove all over to find a replacement. Found one, turned all the breakers off, made sure the camper was not plugged to shore power and hooked it up. I ended up smoking the BRAND NEW CONVERTER as well. Someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. The only thing I can think of is:

I should have turned the battery disconnect to off before hooking up the battery Really shouldn't matter

I should have hooked up the negative lead first then the positive Nope, always connect positive first, always disconnect negative first

Maybe the converter needs shore power before DC current is attached. Nope, converter should be OFF when connecting

I did not hook up the battery in reverse. I did not hook up the converter backwards either. Looks like the only possibility left. Maybe use your voltmeter before making connections with the next new converter.

Please help, I am getting a third converter tomorrow. If I smoke this one I am going to roll my camper into the lake!!!
Comments above in RED
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #5

The neg cable that goes on neg post....there are reverse polarity fuses to protect the converter.....what converter are you using? And, when it smoked, what was just connected ....the battery? or shore power?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:47 PM   #6

Grand Design Owners Club
I think what he is advising is to hook meter in series between neg. battery post and neg. battery cable. But you actually need an amp meter not a volt meter.it seems you have multiple batteries. We're the originals 6 volt in series or 12 volt parallel?
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:50 PM   #7

What do you mean when you say you smoked it? Even if the battery was hooked up backwards doesn't the converter have reverse power fuses that protect it. I know mine does.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:51 PM   #8

No, I just have one battery.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #9

The first one that was in the camper had a burnt smell. The new one actually smoked and made a pop sound when I hooked up the negative lead to the battery.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #10

Grand Design Owners Club
Sorry. Thought post read" swapped batteries out". No matter. Did you have automotive style top posts where you only had two connections or marine style with multiple wires on each threaded stud?
Old 04-04-2018, 07:59 PM   #11

Reverse polarity would be the only way to instantly smoke the converter. Install the new converter with the battery disconnected. Then use a voltmeter to check the voltage and polarity on the battery cables. Connect only the positive cable to the battery. Then measure the voltage ,with the converter plugged in between the negative cable and the negative battery terminal . The meter should only measure a couple of volts if the polarity is correct. If the is more than 12 volts the polarity is incorrect.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:00 PM   #12

I have the Marine style battery with a normal automotive post and a smaller threaded post on each side.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:12 PM   #13

Grand Design Owners Club
I hate to pile on but it sure sounds like a polarity issue.these things are notorious for having non typical wire colors at battery if you are used to automotive. Black may be wired positive on some devices. If all your wires didn't remain bundled it's easy to get one back on wrong post. Again not saying you hooked up backwards, just that seems most logical.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:21 PM   #14

Okay, i do have a good voltmeter. In small words, how do I check what cable is positive and which in negative that hook to the battery?

Tags
converter, install