Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2006, 04:54 AM   #1

We like to RV in or 5th wheel however do not get out as much as we would like to. During the off season or when not in use and parked on the side of the house we plug in the fridge and set it on 2 (low cool) just to keep it running. I was told to do this a long time ago but am I shortening the life of the fridge or keeping it up. Feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Retired_Ranger
2000 Crossroads All American 28 DS
Wife with Armpit Piranha will travel

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2006, 04:54 AM   #2

We like to RV in or 5th wheel however do not get out as much as we would like to. During the off season or when not in use and parked on the side of the house we plug in the fridge and set it on 2 (low cool) just to keep it running. I was told to do this a long time ago but am I shortening the life of the fridge or keeping it up. Feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Retired_Ranger
2000 Crossroads All American 28 DS
Wife with Armpit Piranha will travel

Old 08-03-2006, 09:25 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I personally have never seen a reason to waste the energy to keep the frig running when not in use, unless you are headed back out in a week. We always shut it down, dryout the interior and leave the doors proped open to let if dry out good.

By letting it run all of the time you are adding hours to the equipment use life and taking hours away from the overall life of the equipment.

Ken
Old 08-03-2006, 06:50 PM   #4

Ditto!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:24 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
When we bought our 1996 Wilderness in the fall of 1995 I turned the fridge on. When I sold it this past April I turned it off for the first time, except for a few times to defrost the freezer. Electrical and electronic items do not like to be turned on and off frequently. In most cases the worst enemy is the on/off switch.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:32 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Well, the life expectancy of a refrigerator that's plugged in 24/7 is probably about equivalent to what the fulltimers get. AFAIK, theirs are in continuous service.

Our RV stays plugged into shore power 24/7 while in covered storage. We've followed this practice since 1997 and have lost only one (1) cooling unit - one of the Norcolds that were on recall, and that was when we were out on a trip with our previous RV when it was only 4 months old.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:42 PM   #7

I knew this would bring a mixed bag of input. I am torn between agreeing with both sides. I have always kept my other RV plugged in for guests, and what I was told about keeping the fridge plugged in, but have also been told that its like a house fridge. You dont unplug it everytime you leave the house. Both arguments make sense. Its unplugged right now and going to clean and then decide.

Retired_Ranger
97 Dodge Dually 12 valver
2000 Crossroads All American
Wife with armpit piranha will travel
Old 08-05-2006, 06:00 AM   #8

Wonder what Dometic or Norcold would advise..... Probably whatever would result in a shorter life span & require new parts or service!

I don't think it's a fair comparison between a house unit & the one in the TT as it's not convenient to turn off the house one.

I would turn mine off (& do, although I have no place to conveniently keep it plugged in & running). My logic would be that I turn off the TV in the house when it's not being watched to save wear & tear on the bulb & other electrical components (other than the on/off switch) and also to save energy. I realize it's not apples to apples but it doesn't make sense to me to keep an unused appliance running. Same with the PC, on during the day but off at night so the fan doesn't have to run 24/7.

1998 TowLite 18TD
BigPackFan is offline   Reply With Quote