Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #1
Polishing heavily oxodized DRV

We purchased a nice '04 Mobile Suites a few years ago. It's obviously not seen wax since new, so we decided to polish on it. We've tried just about every compound/wax we can think of, and the finish is just not coming back to our standards. The front cap polished up good, the painted graphics still shine, but the sides are flat. I've detailed before, and I enlisted a local detail shop to work on this....for the life of us, we cannot get the sides to look decent. Thankfully we worked on a small area, and finally just stripped the wax off, and washed the area with soft scrub to flatten it back out. I'd rather it be flat, but uniform than half azzed polished. I called DRV and the young kid who admitted my detailer would know more than him, said that from the factory they were supposed to be semi-flat. Is there truth to that? I'm OK if it is, but I was really hoping to slick this on up and make it look 4-5 years old instead of 12. What are we missing? Is there a better product? There is a guy in the area advertises "colorlift finish restorer" as a spray on product. His pictures look nice, but I've always thought of those products as a "cover up" to make it look good on the surface without addressing the actual problem. I've got half a notion to have my body shop scuff and clear the sides, but kind of hate to spend that kind of money on a 12 year old coach.

Trent & Jody.
2004 DRV Mobile Suites 33RS3
2016 Ford F350 DRW Lariat 6-pack 4x4 Diesel 14K GVW
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 06:04 AM   #2
We used this on our 1996 Tioga. Use at your own risk.

ZEP 128 oz. Wet-Look Floor Polish-ZUWLFF128 - The Home Depot

okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:22 AM   #3
Mequiars 4965 Oxidation removal kit worked on my '98 Winnebago. It is a three step process to remove oxidation, polish and wax the fiber glass. A lot of work, but it looked good when done.
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:48 AM   #4
Try shurhold.com. It's a marine-specific site. They have some good products for boats that should work with other gel-coated fiberglass items and there are some videos showing technique.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:24 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have never seen an rv of any sort with a matte finish. Some have higher gloss than others but none matte from the factory. I would also recommend the mequires oxidation remover followed up by a good polish and then a sealant or good wax. Keep in mind the only way you are going to achieve this is with a machine. By hand it just wont work.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:49 PM   #6
Marine Compounds / Fiberglass Restore on Sale

This page should contain more than enough choices to confuse you.

Without seeing & touching I can't recommend which product to use. The 3M pure compound is aggressive stuff & should be used carefully on thin gelcoat.

Sounds like you have a pretty big multi step job on your hands. It might take 3 steps to restore starting with the compound, next the compound/wax or cleaner/wax then finishing with a pure wax or sealant for a lasting shine.

Defender.com is a very good discount supplier for boating supplies. Lots of stuff for RVs too. I have always had good experiences with 3M products & Meguires products for my boats & RV. Getting the right product, even if it costs more, saves alot of labour.

Never had really serious chalking to deal with on the RV but have maintained it well, it is a 2007, with 3M cleaner wax followed by Meguires Flaxship wax. A once a year job for sides & rear.
Home: Bermuda
US RV base, MD
2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:49 PM   #7
There is an oufit down in fort myers fl that sells a system called shineon. It's a bit pricey and pretty labor intensive but the units I've seen after application look pretty good. It is designed toi be used on the really bad gelcoats. I bought a kit to do mine but found I could get good results with a buffer and a three step clean, polish, wax. I sold the kit to a fella in South Carolina and he has not reported back yet. Shineon has a web site if you're interested. Hope this helps.
Stanley Z, Beautiful Sharpsburg Ga.
2014 Ford F350 DRW with a little bling
2005 DRV Mobile Suites 36TK3
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:23 AM   #8
Not that this problem is specific to Drv's but how about posting this question on the Suites owners website? www.suitesowners.com. There might be another owner that has an older one or purchased an older one with the same problem. There's also the www.5thwheelforums.com and the Thor forums, which purchased Drv last year and has a Drv thread on the discussion forum.
Jan & Thomas
2012 Drv Mobile Suite
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:41 AM   #9
Thanks, I'll look into that. I signed up as a member when we bought the coach, but frequent this forum more.
Trent & Jody.
2004 DRV Mobile Suites 33RS3
2016 Ford F350 DRW Lariat 6-pack 4x4 Diesel 14K GVW
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:33 AM   #10
I also have a 04 RE3 and can appreciate your problem. Zep is the product that I used with great results. There is a specific procedure to clean/prep the surface before the application of 4 or 5 coats of the polish. It has held up well with a touch up once per year so far.

GBill is offline   Reply With Quote