Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2016, 10:15 AM   #1

Pop up brand hitches

I am in the process of buying a new fifth wheel and trying to decide on a hitch. I just bought a used 2013 GMC 3500 Dually and am having a turnover ball gooseneck installed soon. I was going to go the Andersen route until I saw during a search this morning the Popup RVGC Gooseneck Coupler Cushion Adjustable hitch that replaces the pin box of the coach. It looks like a good product and reduces the need for a bed mounted hitch. Does anyone know or have any experience with this company or this type of pin box? Thanks JMM.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #2

I'm not familiar with the Popup adapter you are talking about. But if it means the hitch point is on the floor of the truck, meaning out of sight of the driver, it would be a disadvantage when hooking up compared to the Andersen Ultimate. And it also has the disadvantage of increased stress on the fiver frame.

With a GN setup, my choice would be the Ultimate or the B&W Companion.

Most of my towing is with a standard fifth wheel hitch. Occasionally I need to move a GN trailer and I use a GN ball mount that fits the standard fifth wheel rails. Removing the fifth wheel hitch is the ez part, pull 2 pins, remove the head, pull 4 more pins, remove the legs. The hard part is getting the ball under the GN coupler, lots of trial and error if hooking up alone.

dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:10 PM   #3

Thanks dale1, It's just like the Reese goose box with the exception of it doesn't have the air bag or shocks like the Reese. With chronic back issues and multiple shoulder surgeries, on both, I am not the man I used to be so I am looking for a lighter option for a hitch. The goose box or the Pop up look like they are just like the normal pin box. The Reese is accepted by lippert so it must be ok. I did think of the hook up issue but figured I could work around that. Still leaning towards the Andersen aluminum but still have a little time to shop around.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:39 AM   #4

Be aware that some 5th wheel manufacturers void warranties should you choose to run a gooseneck setup. Check with the manufacturer of your specific trailer before you spend any money.

PW
PointyWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:49 PM   #5

Now looking at the Reese goose box. Checked with the grand design rep today and the Reese is endorsed by lippert so it won't void my frame warranty.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:23 AM   #6

Just get the 20K Companion, you WILL thank me!!!
Old 03-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #7

Unless you are a weight lifter get the Andersen. You WILL thank me!!!
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:29 PM   #8

I have no back or shoulders left with another 15 years of physical work before I hang up my hard hat, went with the Andersen!
Old 03-02-2016, 10:24 AM   #9

On my RAM 2500 I have that truck bed camera. I'd think that will come in handy with any type hitch I get. And it isn't like the small back up camera screen in my mirror big screen with a very clear shot. And you can have it on while driving if you want to see what the hitch is doing. I guess with this high tech radio I have you can add multiple cameras in different places. I saw one rig where the guy had cameras mounted under his mirrors on both sides and also had a camera in the front of the truck. Pretty cool. Who needs a wife if you have good back up cameras.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:48 PM   #10

Get the Andersen Ultimate. Your back will thank you both when you install and pull it out of the bed and the back will thank you when you tow - smooth ride.

I am sure people who have never seen or used the Andersen will be here soon to bash the hitch only because it does not fit their beloved belief structure, so it can't be good. Ignore them!
grashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:37 AM   #11

Thanks Grashley, the Andersen should be arriving next week. Looking forward to it.
I like to be part of the "different" club, gives people MORE to talk about.