Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #1

Popup fifth wheel to goosneck conversion kits

pop up fifth wheel to goosneck conversion kits

I have read several posts about people saying to be carefull using these, but my question is; has anyone used them and what kind of real world issues have you had.
atagr913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2015, 02:12 PM   #2

I have seen more than one fifth wheel where the body was broken loose from the frame and damaged inside cabinets, the fiberglass sidewall, and other parts. It would up with a lot of big bolts in the side of a shiny expensive camper. Was it worth it to the guy? Nope.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

It's good to have you here.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:07 PM   #4

Not sure what you mean by "pop up"' but I would never use a GN to 5th wheel adapter under any circumstances, even if the dealer says it's OK.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #5

adapter dilemma

I recently purchased a vintage (1985) Alpenlite 25' 5th wheel camper that I am restoring. My TV is a F350 dually diesel. I also own 2 gooseneck flat bed trailers, and have a Hide-A-Goose hitch installed on the truck. I don't want the 5th hitch rails permanently installed in the truck bed, I use it for too many other things, I researched goose to 5th adapters, and have come to the conclusion that when problems have been encountered, it was caused by an adapter that was basicly a vertical pipe with a small plate on top. I've read several posts where an adapter that was made to set on rails on the p/u floor and mounted a standard 5er hitch on top of it, worked very well. Curt Mfg builds one of these that I purchased. It was made very strong, and the workmanship was excellent. However it did not mate up with the gooseneck hitch on my truck. I could have modified it, but was very hesitant to modify a $380 piece. Luckily I was able to return it, and am have an adapter custom built that is very close to the curt design. The 16k 5er hitch I got with the camper mounts on top of it. I'm confident, since it rests on the original rails on the bed of the truck, but the tongue weight is born a new solid 2 1/2" steel pin that fits in the gooseneck hitch pocket, that it will perform flawlessly. I'll post further on this as I use it.
TheOldMan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
The only 5th to goose conversion approved for use is the Reese Goosebox. Lippert even lists them on it's website. I would have no concern running one of these. Any other conversion is asking for trouble.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:22 PM   #7

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
The only 5th to goose conversion approved for use is the Reese Goosebox. Lippert even lists them on it's website. I would have no concern running one of these. Any other conversion is asking for trouble.

LOVE MINE!!
Old 05-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
An alternative to the goosebox would be an Andersen Ultimate connection. That's what I'm using with a B&W turnover goose hitch (I wanted a flat floor without rails.) and over a year later I love it.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:23 PM   #9

Andersen Ultimate Fifth wheel attaches to the in bed flip over gooseball but it is not considered a "gooseneck" adapter due to the lack of a "neck". The pyramid design raises the ball and distributes the across the rear truck axle similar to a collar style hitch. Grand Design has approval from Lippert to honor the frame warrant when an Andersen is used. No frame weld failures have ever been faulted to the Andersen design I have one and am glad for its light weight and exceptional performance. Check out the YouTube's.
2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed Maxxis 16"E; AirBags; MorRyde RPB Andersen UltimateII Curt 4"offset;GrndCntrl 3.0 4pt;6K# Dexters;CRE3K w/Wetbolts; Champ.3100 Invrtr;Furrion48 Cam;Dish Sat, 10' Portabote
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:59 AM   #10

I have and consistently use the POPUP rv adapter RV3. I also have the popup hitch in my 01 Chevy 3500 crewcab dually which is my tv. The hitch works very well. I orginally purchased it for my 2011 keystone high country cougar. Towed very well. I later traded the keystone in for a 2009 Presidental Suite by HOLIDAY RAMBLER.

I had the dealer remove the RV adapter from the keystone and reinstall it on my Presidental. The new unit is quit a bit heavier but still within the weight limit. I am very satisfied with the Popup RV adapter and will continue to use it with any 5th wheel I own.

There is a bit more bucking/chucking with heavier units but there are things you can do to reduce that. The Popup RV adapter is not your run of the mill adapter. It is well built and covers the entire pin area of box. The adapter is a box formation and not your typical pad and pipe manufactured hitch. It is a steel box with a 4 inch height adjustment and made of 1/4 inch plate steel and welded very well.

For those of you who might want to check this adapter out it czn be found here:
https://popuphitch.com/products/rv/rv-adapters/
Attached Images

Lawdawgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:45 PM   #11

Forces are the same. I repaired my trailer pin support frame due cracking of the tubular frame. It's scary the light frame used to support the pin box.