Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2016, 08:28 PM   #1

Portable Generator for 5th wheel

I was looking into getting a generator installed but we are not full timers and it is expensive. Searching for a good inverter that will run 2 13500 BTU A/C and everything that is light weight

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2016, 09:19 PM   #2

Portable Geerator for 5th wheel

To run 2 air conditions takes a fairly large generator.....not exactly what I would call portable.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
To run 2 air conditions takes a fairly large generator.....not exactly what I would call portable.

This would probably do it.....weighs 262 pounds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1476843813.750914.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	141934
Old 10-18-2016, 09:28 PM   #4

Portable vs installed may be just a personal choice. By the time you buy the $4k Honda and hire another guy to help you load it, the $6k for an installed Onan might just be a better deal.
Does your unit have the gen prep already? That would help me make a decision.
There are used Onans from time to time that pop up on Craigslist.
Keep in mind, tho, the Honda on gas will run a lot longer than an Onan on propane.
Joe
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:01 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe the champion 3100's can now be paired and run in parallel. At ~$700 each might be a consideration. Pull out the second one only when needed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:36 AM   #6

Portable Generator for 5th wheel

The Briggs generators can be paralleled also. However they are NOT electric start, and you are limited to a max of 4800 watts when using two P3000 generators, or a max of 4300 watts with a P3000 and P2200 paralleled.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1476880568.003590.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	141955
Old 10-19-2016, 07:52 AM   #7

Make sure to check the amps you need as well as watts. The Honda 7000 gives you 48 total amps, but they're split between a 30 amp circuit and a 20 amp circuit, so really you're getting 30 amps.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:57 AM   #8

Another option if it works for you is to permanently mount the generator on your tow vehicle (TV). Downside is that your generator leaves if your tow vehicle leaves, so that won't work if you have pets, of if you want to run the AC while you are out and about. However I'd be worried about the security of the generator in that case. There's not a lock/cable/chain out there that cannot be cut with a pair of bolt cutters or a battery powered grinder unfortunately.

Upsides of a TV mounted generator are:
  • you can run the generator and AC's while traveling
  • you can permanently mount the generator to the TV, generally in front of the fiver hitch. No need to unload/reload heavy generator
  • no problem with potential fuel/fumes leakage into the fiver
  • you can drive to the gas station to fill up
  • you can even plumb your generator into the TV gas tank if they use the same fuel
Just a few thoughts. I also love the electric start, and would look into a remote starting fob as well. We just had a friend purchase a used Honda 6500 inverter generator (I think they've been replaced by the 7000 now) and he is going to look into permanently mounting it to his TV. It will power everything in his 41' Montana if he is judicious about power management, ie; he doesn't run both AC's, microwave, hair dryer and clothes dryer all at the same time!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #9

To run that much power from portable gens, you need to use a y splitter off your 50 amp cable to dual gens or dual circuits on a big enough single gen. The factory parallel kits don't provide the the single circuit power to run 2 ACS plus other equipment.
Airmech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #10

I'm not an electrician but I think you will need 50 amp service for when the second ACs compressor starts up. Not easy to find in a "portable" genny. You may have to man up and learn to use one AC when boon docking. I carry 2 Honda 2.0s and a gizmo to combine them. They are small enough to fit in the belly, light enough for my wife or I to handle and easy on fuel. They run one 15K air and all other stuff just fine. Only down side is they sell for 1000 clams each. But, there's no free lunch and if you have an RV or a boat there's not even a reasonable lunch. Hope this helps you.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #11

Some of the newer gen-sets have a large capacitor that helps deal with the surge in current draw as an a/c compressor starts up. My Yamaha 2400i will start and run my 15k a/c and can be ganged together with another for twice the capacity. Two smaller generators are a lot more lift able than one big one, I think the wet weight is 65lbs, so it is possible for one person to lift it up onto the tailgate. I keep mine in front of the hitch and it is low enough to be covered by the Bakflip tonneau when I'm not hooked up.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:49 PM   #12

I just saw this on another forum. Watched the youtube video. Haven't researched
it any further, but looks promising. Claims to be able to run 1 A/C on a Honda 2000ui.

Micro-Air - Home

Tags
5th wheel, generator