Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2014, 05:08 PM   #1

Portable generator in pickup?

I didn't want to muck up the other generator discussion so I'm starting this new thread.

We just got a 5er and we're looking for a generator to keep in the back of the truck between the tailgate and the hitch. We're looking at a 3500W so we can run an A/C if we happen to dry camp, realizing we won't be able to run much else. There's plenty of room for most of the ones I have researched except maybe for the height... the tailgate is 21", so I can't exceed that, plus, hitching and unhitching I'd need to be careful.

Has anyone put a portable generator between the tailgate and the hitch? Any recommendations? Any gotchas?

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
I'd go with the Honda EU2000i and it's companion which has a 30A twist lock plug. The price will be comparable with a 3500, it will have 4000W surge and 3600W continuous, if you don't need a lot of power, run just one.

Finally, they're easily carried. I'm looking to sell my EX4500 so I can buy that combo.

sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #3

I have a cheaper 3500w generator that I carry in front of the hitch. I made a stack to get the exhaust pointed up out of the bed when I run it there and it will run my A/C or my microwave, but probably not both at the same time. Even my coffee maker pulls it down a little....
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #4

I bought a Generac propane which fits between the 5er hitch and front of the bed. Use a 12 foot hose to feed propane from my 5er dual tanks to the generator.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #5

I have a Honda eu3000is that I put in front of the hitch as it is too high to go behind the hitch. I have two 30 amp extension cords plus one that I cut the end from and installed the 30A twist lock, so I leave the generator in the truck and run the extension cord/s to the trailer. We just spent a long weekend in Albuquerque and had no trouble running the A/C - didn't use the microwave - stayed cool all weekend.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
PJL

Timay,

Do you have the Honda 3000 permanently installed in the truck bed? If so, how do you have it secured to (1) prevent theft and (2) keep it from bouncing all over the truck bed? Any pics would be nice. Also, does the continued vibration while driving cause damage or shorten the generator useful life?

I was thinking of buying the Honda 3000 and installing in the truck bed but haven't really thought thru all the issues.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #7

I have a Honda 3000 in the truck bed. Been hauling it aroound there for at least 10 years. The 1st few years it was in the back, then when I traded trucks in '07 there was just enough room between the hitch and the tool box to move it there. It was secured with a cable and lock to the 5th wheel rail. When I got the '13 truck I no longer have 5er rails so it is locked to a tie down point made in the front corner of the bed. I use ratchet straps and secure it to the base of the 5er hitch and in several hundred thousand of miles riding there it has proved to be very secure that way.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:31 AM   #8

It sounds like Larry and I do it about the same. I put mine sideways in front of the hitch with a 2X4 between the front of the bed and the wheels of the generator to hold it away from the front of the bed to keep it from rubbing, I use one strap from the built in attachment points in the bed and then run a cable lock through the handle and the bed attachment. I don't run it while traveling so that vibration is moot - its own vibration is more than what one gets while traveling. It really feels weird to sit in the truck with the generator running as the vibration shakes the truck a bit. If I want the trailer on power while I have the truck elsewhere I need to lift it out and lock it to the trailer - which I have never done, yet.

At the moment both the hitch and the generator are sitting in the garage - I have a Harbor Freight winch that I use to lift the hitch and a son to help lift the generator (I intend to use the winch on the genny, too).

No pictures of the bed when hooked up with the Honda.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #9

Why run it going down the road???
Old 08-20-2014, 08:06 AM   #10

Portable generator in pickup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
Why run it going down the road???

Might want to run the AC so that it's cool in the trailer when you want to set up camp.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #11

I've read of many RV'ers that have had their Honda EU2000's stolen, despite of having them chained down. They're very popular with thieves.

I often go to town for groceries, etc., and driving the tow vehicle will make my wife have to burn up and do without electricity when boondocking in the South. I wouldn't want my generator in the truck because of this reason alone.

One option is to put a receiver hitch on the rear bumper of the RV. Then mount 3' x 5' rack with a receiver lock. You can mount the generator(s) in a flip top locking aluminum tool chest mounted on the rack. Just leave the top up when running the generator(s).
Old 08-21-2014, 07:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Might want to run the AC so that it's cool in the trailer when you want to set up camp.
I have set up before when it was 100 degrees.....plugged into power...turned the a/c on and by the time I set the jacks....opened the slides....it was down to 74 degrees inside.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
I have set up before when it was 100 degrees.....plugged into power...turned the a/c on and by the time I set the jacks....opened the slides....it was down to 74 degrees inside.
What size/number of air conditioners do you have? A single 13.5k BTU AC won't cool the trailer off as quickly as dual 15K BTU ACs will. How well your trailer is insulated , if it has dual pane windows, is set-up in direct sun, the relative humidity, wind speed, altitude, the trailer's square footage, ceiling height, etc. also affects how fast it cools down.

I vote for the pair of EU2000s too as they are lighter and easier to move and set-up outside (when you go to town and need AC at the trailer). Plus if AC is not needed, just battery charging, only one is necessary, cutting your fuel use in half. A pair will also produce more power than a single EU3000 (3,200 watts/4,000 watts surge vs 2,800 watts/3,000 watt surge.) On the down-side they must be pull started while the EU3000is can be started remotely with a touch of a button if needed (with a $200 add-on).

They make an anti-theft bracket that fits over the plastic handle of the EU2000 Honda generator making it more difficult to cut through and steal.

Chip
Old 08-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #14

I would never mount one on the back of the trailer. The vibration would drive me up a wall. It would make more sense to mount a 3000W in an aluminum vented box behind the cab. Run the cord to it and done. I see that setup once in a while at different CG's. Looks pretty slick. As far as theft, outta sight outta mind IMO. if they want it they will get anyway. We leave our Honda 2000W chained up to the back bumper all the time. Been doing that for years. Lucky? Maybe. If the CG is unfamiliar to us we will out it back in the front storage.

Tags
generator