Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2015, 08:16 AM   #15
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
I definitely disagree with this statement. I have traveled all over using the Tailgater and I get the exact same programming that I have subscribed to at home. I get my home locals and my Big 10 channel and all the Big 12 games if they are not blacked out for one reason or another. You have to enter which state you are in when you set up the Tailgater for it to lock onto the satellites correctly for the strongest signal.
I understand how the Tailgater works. To clarify what I was saying, if you call Dish and change your address to your current location you are subject to the programming in that area. As long as you don't call nothing changes and your regional programming will continue no matter where you are. I admit it has been a couple of years since I did that and maybe things have changed. Maybe someone with a more recent experience can chime in.

Not sure how you can get your home local channels anywhere as they are spot beamed to your home area only. Anytime we are far enough away from home we cannot get them. They still download on my program guide but it will tell me I am out of area if I try to select one. The beam must be pretty wide though because when we go to Branson, which is 225 miles from our house, I can still get our locals on standard definition only. When we go to Colorado, forget it.

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2015, 08:35 AM   #16

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
I understand how the Tailgater works. To clarify what I was saying, if you call Dish and change your address to your current location you are subject to the programming in that area. As long as you don't call nothing changes and your regional programming will continue no matter where you are. I admit it has been a couple of years since I did that and maybe things have changed. Maybe someone with a more recent experience can chime in.

Not sure how you can get your home local channels anywhere as they are spot beamed to your home area only. Anytime we are far enough away from home we cannot get them. They still download on my program guide but it will tell me I am out of area if I try to select one. The beam must be pretty wide though because when we go to Branson, which is 225 miles from our house, I can still get our locals on standard definition only. When we go to Colorado, forget it.
I think you have been listening to their customer service too long. There is no way they can spot beam to your home. If they could spot beam to your home then we could already live on Pluto. It is all accomplished using your receiver's smart card which has your programming encoded to only select for you to watch what you have paid for. This is exactly the same technology used in today's most up to date credit cards with the chip. The tv satellite industry has had this for years. They have been light years ahead of the banks.

The reason you are losing yours when you get to Colorado is you are not inputting your location when setting up.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #17

schrod,
I have the Winegard Carryout, one of the first of the portables that came out. It works just fine with good view of the sky.
In the past, if I wanted local channels, I would call to get Dish the local address and that would give me the nearest local channels. It would also cancel all programming back at the house that was setup before leaving on the trip, so my wife opts to keep the programming and not get local channels.
Are you saying I just have to put the local zip in when running the 'check switch' test?
Perhaps the Tailgaters are different from my Carryout?
Thanks,
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #18

I am a full-timer.'

I use a Hopper and only a triple LNBF dish is viable. I have a Trav'ler now but for 7 years I put up a tripod dish every stop. With the right tools, tripod, meter, Align-a-site, it only takes a few minutes to setup and the investment is less than a Tailgater.

I still carry the tripod dish for the couple of times a year where the trees get in the way.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:37 AM   #19

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
schrod,
I have the Winegard Carryout, one of the first of the portables that came out. It works just fine with good view of the sky.
In the past, if I wanted local channels, I would call to get Dish the local address and that would give me the nearest local channels. It would also cancel all programming back at the house that was setup before leaving on the trip, so my wife opts to keep the programming and not get local channels.
Are you saying I just have to put the local zip in when running the 'check switch' test?
Perhaps the Tailgaters are different from my Carryout?
Thanks,
Joe
Wingnut--All I ever have to do when setting up the Tailgater is when the initial setup screen comes on you have to select what state you are in. This is so it can find the satellites. I get my same exact programming that I have at home with my same local channels even if I am in Tim-buck-two.

I don't have any experience with the Carryout.

Rod
Old 11-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #20
JDT

Okay, this is my last comment on this as it strays from the initial question quite a bit. I just want to be sure I'm not missing out on something, which is entirely possible due to my low technological IQ. I used a Tailgater exclusively for 3 seasons (3 to 4 months each), always had to put in the state we were in, and we have been all over the country, and cannot remember ever being able to watch our local (Tulsa) stations once we strayed too far. It would always tell me out of area. The same thing occurs with the Trav'ler but it does not ask for a location, it simply finds the satellites wherever we are. So what Rod is saying is different from my experience. I would love to experiment with it to see if I could get his results but we just put it to bed for the season yesterday and deactivated the receivers. It will March or April before we hit the road again but I am going to make a note to myself to see if I can make it work. It would really be nice to have our locals wherever we go.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:23 AM   #21

Satellite Locals are a function of a spot beam. In some parts of the country, the spot beam can be several hundred miles across. In other areas, a smaller pattern. Once you move out of the spot beam with your home Locals, there is nothing you can do to get your home Locals.

You can change your Service Address with Dish and get the Locals for the spot beam you are in.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:37 AM   #22

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Satellite Locals are a function of a spot beam. In some parts of the country, the spot beam can be several hundred miles across. In other areas, a smaller pattern. Once you move out of the spot beam with your home Locals, there is nothing you can do to get your home Locals.

You can change your Service Address with Dish and get the Locals for the spot beam you are in.
Believe what you want.
I am done.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:53 AM   #23

It is not personal Locals, it is home Locals. For example, if you home is McAllen, TX, you will get the satellite signals for the four Broadcast Channels (ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC) for that area.

You can drive to Victoria TX, about 230 miles and still receive the Locals for McAllen, TX.

But go to Beaumont, you will no longer get McAllen Locals.

You can change your Service address to the Beaumont area and get the Locals for that location.

With Spot beams, satellites transmit only one signal stream for Spot Beam area for all the receivers in that area. The Spot Beam is not per receiver.

You can see the coverage of a Spot Beam by going to Dish Network Markets, then select a State, a Market City, then click on the Beam to see a graphic range of a Spot Beam.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:28 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On the spot coverage map, what is difference between the green and yellow circles?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #25

Green is pretty safe reception, Yellow is marginal.

When we travel, we only change the Service Address and the Locals when we move out of a Spot Beam. We don't care where we get Broadcast Channel from. We get weather and new from the Internet.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:22 PM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
We use a Carryout as well and an app on my phone to give me the location of the satellites. Once I set the dish up on the tripod with a clear view of the sky, the unit finds the satellites and locks itself in. No set up screen and the television is receiving signals by the time I get back inside. I then call Dish and change my service address to my present location and it's done.

As said before, local channels are on a spot beam and will be limited to about 250 miles or so. I like to get the local weather as well as network programming.

Tags
dish, satellite