Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #15
FastEagle is right, 60 psi is not a standard tire sidewall "max psi" number. 65 psi is the right number for D rated tires. So, unless you have a pretty old trailer, it sounds like the manufacturer was smart enough to put 60 psi on the sticker based on tire loading at the trailer's GVWR rather than just restating the sidewall max psi.

This is no different that what vehicle manufacturers do, all of my truck tires are E rated, i.e. 80 psi, but the sticker specifies 55 psi for the front tires based on front GAWR rather than the sidewall max number. And while the rear tires are supposed to be inflated to 80 psi, many of us will run significantly less than 80 psi when the truck is not loaded.

This is a round-about way to say, weigh the loaded trailer and use a load inflation chart to determine the correct psi.

Larry Day, Texas Baptist Men volunteer
'13 Silverado LT 3500HD D/A CCSB 2wd, custom RKI bed
'11 Crossroads Cruiser 32MK loaded
dayle1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
Perhaps a guide is the Michelin site, they list the pressures for various loads for various size tires. I would take those numbers to be as close to a valid guide.Michelin North America RV Load & Inflation Tables

2002 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD, Avalanche toad, Glastron MX175 , X5 BMW, Almost enough toys, 3 dogs. 1 longtime wife(48 yrs)
POPPASMURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #17
When I upgraded our previous trailer from 15" D tire to 16" E tires I had the same issues. I started at 80psi and dropped 5psi at a time till I had contact across the entire tread width. On that trailer it was 70psi.
jaycocamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:36 PM   #18
A rough ride beats the heck out of a blow out , slow down and enjoy your trip. I run the air pressure stated on the tire and run no faster than 60 MPH normally closer to 55 . I have found the trip is much more enjoyable when you set a slower pace . I have air ride suspension on my 5er always a smooth ride good luck and don't over look Maxxis trailer tires they are as good as you'll find. Safe travels....Dan

Buckfvur is offline   Reply With Quote

tire pressure