Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #1

Power cord lock

Hello everyone! I have wanted to protect my power cord from theft for a while. I feel fairly secure in campgrounds, but I think about losing my means of charging batteries by portable generator when boondocking - not to mention the financial loss. I could use a chain and padlock, but I wanted something more permanent as well as some type of arrangement that would be noisy if an attempt was made to defeat it. Since the cord could be taken by simply unplugging and cutting, I went the easy and somewhat minimal route. The small diameter aircraft cable has a simple loop that can be attached to the cord with a padlock, and when not in use it can be slipped through a grommet to rest flush under the unit (so the wind doesn't flop it around when rolling). The anchor end is bolted to the frame. So now, the would-be thief has to have some tools and he also will have to make noise. I was wondering what comments I might get about the mod. [/URL][/IMG]

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #2

It looks good for your piece of mind, but anyone can just cut the cord (as you stated) and be gone in a few seconds. I don't know of any way to truly secure the power cord (BTW, my cord is the same as yours!).

1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #3

So you are always in your site? Do you ever leave? Whats to stop them from just yanking on it at 2:00PM when you're dead asleep? I don't think anyone could wake up out of a dead sleep, get some pants on and run out of the trailer after someone. Or for that matter know which way they ran.
I have a 25' elec cord that I plug into the 5'ers shore power cord. Anyone could just walk up and unplug it and walk off.
I could walk up to your trailer, take out a knife, cut the outer rubber coating, grab some snips and cut the 3 inner wires and be gone without a sound.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #4

You missed the point Cumminsfan! Yanking won't accomplish a thing as far as being able to get the cord. I know the solution isn't ideal, but any type of deterrent will stop almost all attempts at theft - no matter the circumstances. You could easily cut the cord and take it away, but not many opportunistic thieves would be willing to take the risk.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #5

When we are in campgrounds I lock my power cord and surge protector. Honestly though I think I do it for my own peace of mind because realistically locks only keep honest people honest. If someone wants to take it all, they will and then that is what insurance is for.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Chalkie has it right.....locks keep honest folks honest.....if someone has designs on your power cord or anything for that matter, they will get it. Typically a thief will go after the softest target.....and that being true, Tinkerreknits locking cable should work and have the thief moving onto the next door neighbours unlocked power cord......neat cable lock.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #7

Is this an issue? I haven't heard about power cords being high on the disappearing list but, I suppose, since you are going to this length to secure yours, you must know of several that have been stolen.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
Is this an issue? I haven't heard about power cords being high on the disappearing list but, I suppose, since you are going to this length to secure yours, you must know of several that have been stolen.

Tim
A Jayco dealer in WV told me that someone jumped the fence one night and cut off ALL the cords in his lot...new and used. He was glad when a lot of the manufacturers went to the detachable cord. They also stripped the wheels and tires off of some of the trailers with aluminum wheels as well. That has been the only time that I have heard of cord theft being a problem.

Tags
power