Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #1

power vs manual awning

I need to replace the awning on my 5'er...I like the Conveinance of the power awnings but the pitch adjustment abilities of the manual ones. I am considering the Carefree power Travel'r with pitch adjustment, does anyone have one of these? What do you think and are they worth the extra money?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalen View Post
I need to replace the awning on my 5'er...I like the Conveinance of the power awnings but the pitch adjustment abilities of the manual ones. I am considering the Carefree power Travel'r with pitch adjustment, does anyone have one of these? What do you think and are they worth the extra money?
Our cruiser 5'er came with a power awning, and we are able to adjust the pitch on it. Has a black knob on both arms you can loosen to adjust. Just need to put back to full up before retracting. Wife thinls it's the bees kneess as now she can open the awning if she wants if I'm not around! I want to say it's a carefree but not 100 percent sure.

bdwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I'm prepared to be in the minority here, but I've been RVing long enough to have learned that a lot of these power/automatic gizmos (awnings, leveling systems, window shades etc.) are just another expensive toy that's ultimately going to fail and require expen$ive repair$. That's not to say that I don't enjoy and utilize certain conveniences (electric rear stabilizer jacks, for example), but I don't get carried away with them.

At the end of the day, it's each individual's money and each individual's choice, but I'd suggest that part of the purchasing decision should be consideration of what you're going to do some Sunday morning in Terlingua, TX, 250 miles from the nearest RV service when you're getting ready to leave and the jacks won't come up or the awning won't retract.

JM2CW....

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #4

True that Rusty, make sure to have your ladder, test light, jumper wires and aux 12 volt power supply to help deal with those surprises. I know this from experience but still like the electric over manual but it can be a lot more work when things stop going right!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #5

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I'm prepared to be in the minority here, but I've been RVing long enough to have learned that a lot of these power/automatic gizmos (awnings, leveling systems, window shades etc.) are just another expensive toy that's ultimately going to fail and require expen$ive repair$. That's not to say that I don't enjoy and utilize certain conveniences (electric rear stabilizer jacks, for example), but I don't get carried away with them.

At the end of the day, it's each individual's money and each individual's choice, but I'd suggest that part of the purchasing decision should be consideration of what you're going to do some Sunday morning in Terlingua, TX, 250 miles from the nearest RV service when you're getting ready to leave and the jacks won't come up or the awning won't retract.

JM2CW....

Rusty
Can't argue with a word of that. However, the older I get, the more I like the automatic leveling system on our fiver. That's a risk I'm willing to assume. But I'm perfectly happy with my low tech manual awning.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #6

Manual awnings last longer... because they don't get used.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post

JM2CW....

Rusty
Second Rusty's remarks.
I saw more used electric awnings for sale in RV shops at home. The seasonal campers exchange them a lot. It takes lots of maintenance and time will tell.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Manual awnings last longer... because they don't get used.
Wrong on that count as far as we're concerned!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #9

Whats to wear out on a manual awning??? Replaced my fabric for $200.00 after 17 years.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
First time with a power awning, Love the fact that my wife can use it, and best of all there are no cross bars
Old 02-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
My carefree automatic awning is pitch adjustable and can be stowed with any pitch adjustment configuration. I tested this just the other day, a slight shake of one arm to simulate wind and it closed right up. In the event of a malfunction it can be closed with an alternate 12 v power source or a drill motor. I have had both and I like the automatic.

dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, manual, power