Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2015, 08:05 AM   #1

PPL Discount From Advertised Price

Has anyone out there bought used from PPL? Wondering what kind of discount you negotiated from the advertised price.

Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
jb4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 08:13 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
zippo. Their price is their price normally. Technically they should take any offer you make to the owner as they are consignment, but when I almost listed there, their contract stated they didn't have to bring you offers.

Good place though, they are certainly big for a reason.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:23 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think there is a thread here with similar question and the consensus was that typically up to 10% discount from the listed price could be negotiated.

I am sure the usual pressures of condition, desirability, how priced initially, if consignment the owner loan owing amount, etc. will come into play. Also if you are paying cash, have financing already approved/arranged, and have the ability to solidly and quickly close the sale are factors.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:47 AM   #4

I bought my coach from PPL Houston. This does not answer your question, but may help with your planning. I looked and watched the prices for a long time, and picked several I wanted to look at. I drove down during some big discount sale. Found a really clean coach, test drove it, and was ready to make an offer. Well turns out during this sale the price is as stated. They would not take an offer till after the sale. It was discounted a thousand or two, but I may have come out better not waiting for the sale, and just making a low offer. I did not want to loose this coach, and my drive home is 3 to 4 hr each way so I just bought it. My point is if you wait for a sale you may want to ask be for you go if they will except offers below sale price during the sale.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:38 AM   #5

We bought our DRV from them and when it came time to sell it we used them also. I paid the sale price for the DRV and owner paid for fixing anything we found bad in walk thru. We paid for the walk thru. They fill tanks, run everything, you verify everything works. When we sold DRV it was this in reverse. We set a price, a sale price. This is in writing. It is binding. I did end up dropping price to move unit. So you can possibly get it for less but the owner has to do it. They did not call me asking me to lower price. I called them and lowered after so much time on lot.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:01 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I bought my KSDP a few weeks ago. My experience was : If you have a trade in, they do not negotiate, if you buy outright they will. In actuality, I signed a contract with a trade in and did get $1,000 to repair/ replace the passenger seat. The truth is PPL is a consignment dealer on most units, therefore the final decision on a consignment is the owners not theirs. And yes 10% is a good target.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:12 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
And to add, their prices aren't bad - I think they are pretty fair to both the seller and the buyer. One must consider the fact that at PPL, there's somebody, sitting around in their living room somewhere, wishing someone else would do them a favor and take their rv off their hands.

So if you buy from PPl, you're doing the previous owner a big favor.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:17 PM   #8

Thanks all! We are looking for a used 5'ver to put on our property in central Texas and I had never heard any feedback on PPL. They certainly have the largest selection around.
Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
jb4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
PPL lists their "sold" prices here:
Used Recreational Vehicles Sold or for Sale - PPL Motor Homes

If you want to get really dilligent about it, you can use a web archive to find the unit and it's "advertised" price to see how much they discounted it.

They're a consignment dealer, so they should pass through your offer to the owner.

They charge for an inspection and most of their units are powered down (or not powered) - so you're not going to get to do it yourself. It's almost $400 and isn't very exhaustive (in my opinion) - clearly it's a money maker. Here are the details:
Buy an RV from PPL Motorhomes, Houston, Texas - PPL Motor Homes

The other alternative is to take it "as-is".

I was there about 30 days ago looking at diesel pushers. Be aware that their "advertised" condition has a mapping. That is, if they list it as "excellent" it actually means "above average". See here: https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/seller/rv-ratings.htm

The DPs there when I went were trashed. RVs advertised as "no smoke" with cigarette holes that stunk and some with massive interior water damage - rot coming through the interior walls advertised as "excellent". I wouldn't have bought at one of them at 50% of asking... Some rigs, I couldn't even stand the smell to go into. I looked at all of the diesels in Houston.

I wasn't there to look at towables, but I did go in a few and they seemed to fair a bit better....

The place was full of people, but no pressure from sales..