Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Pressure treated board under tires during storage?

My fiver and wife's motorhome both spend their storage time parked in our pasture. I have been parking the trailer's tires on pine 2x10s but the boards are rotted to the point they need replacement. Is pressure treated wood suitable to protect the tires from sitting in the dirt, to prevent rotting of the tires, or will the chemicals used in the wood be detrimental to the tires? Wife purchased some plastic pads for her MH. Would that be a better choice over wood?

Larry (If you don't care where you are you ain't lost) 2010 Ram 3500 Cummins CC LB 4x4, 24 ft. Nomad fifth with slide, 9 ft. Elkhorn slide in, 2001 Starflyte by DynaMax 21 ft., V10.
Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Most preservatively treated wood has chemicals that are caustic, especially if allowed to get wet. The types of chemicals and degree of caustic action vary, but IIWM the replacements would be untreated wood.

Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
New Horizons Owners Club

Like you, I have been getting my tires up on 2X10's during storage for the entire life of my 5th wheel. Every winter (for me that is mid-November to mid-March) my camper sits, unmoved on those boards and they are the pressure treated variety.

I got seven years out of the factory original tires and I am two years into the replacement tires. I did have a couple of blow-outs with the originals but one was attirbuted to a side-wall puncture from road debri and the other was a side-wall rupture. In both cases the tread (the part in intimate contact with the pressure treated wood) was still intact. There was no evidence that any deterioration had occured anywhere in the tread where there was contact with pressure treated wood.

I don't doubt that there is some chemistry probably going on that would otherwise not be without the pressure treating chemicals being present. But with ten years of imperical data, I can't say that it is a problem.
'06 F-550 PSD Tow Boss
2012 37' Majestic by New Horizons
BLOG: www.CuRVWander.blogspot.com
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I park on cement so I don't typically raise the tires of the cement. If it were asphalt or dirt, I would. I know that I should raise them off the cement, just in case my neighbor spills something - but I don't. If I were to, and I have them, I would use the pressure treated 2 x 10 (or 12) with a 1/2 to 3/4 piece of plywood, untreated (cause it's cheaper) on one side. That side would be against the tire. The plywood also allows me to use it on the jacks when I'm at a CG for a few nights. Plywood has some give to it and keeps the board from splitting.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #5

I have pressure treated 6X8x12 footers anchored to the soil with 24 inch redwood stakes. I put 2 6X8 planks sided by side giving me about 15 inches wide to shoot for while backing in my trailer. I took some heavy Simpson straps and tied the two beams together. They have not rotted or damaged my tires in the 12 years they have been there. I took a saw from either side and created ramp to ease backing up onto them.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
One thing to note: Today's pressure treatment is not the same as that used only and few years back. Experience with older PT boards may not be the same as with present PT wood. My present plan is to use untreated boards. I just happened to be reminded by my wife that there was a couple of suitable boards at our cabin that I had removed from a deck. Can't beat free boards. They will do my job for a few years and then I'll again be checking on PT vs. not PT. Thanks for relating all the experience and opinions. I will keep it on file for future reference.
Larry (If you don't care where you are you ain't lost) 2010 Ram 3500 Cummins CC LB 4x4, 24 ft. Nomad fifth with slide, 9 ft. Elkhorn slide in, 2001 Starflyte by DynaMax 21 ft., V10.
Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I wish I could get my hands on some of the PSP (perforated steel plate) that we used in 'Nam as that would be ideal for my gravel pad.

John & Marilyn Yoder, Sophie & Misha (Bichons)
2008 Vectra 40TD, WIT-151980 FMCA F265880
ChiefJohn is offline   Reply With Quote