Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
I use fresh cab in basement area, available on ebay. Also bounce dryer sheets in drawers. This has worked for me for many years. Also doesn't hurt to have stray cats roaming the area. I put cat food outside my storage building, just enough to attract them.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #16

I found a mouse nest in one of my hiking boots, and in the closet where I keep toilet paper, there was a shelf I wasn't aware of. The peppermint oil is awsome for keeping them away, but seal up any hole you can find, steel wool works in places where you can get spray foam. Good luck
gypsyfeet33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #17

I used this stuff last fall. We will see what it is like in the spring but so far on a couple of inspections, I see no signs of critters.

Keep Mice and Rodents out of your RV | Mouse Free
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH Cover 1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	33989  
Old 02-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #18

Get a cat. Mine loves to catch mice
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #19

But my bird dog loves to catch cats.
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #20

iRV2 No Limits Club
Although this was written for structures it easily adaptable RV. The principles are the same.
This article was written by a well recognized authority on pests:

ENY-243/MG218: Non-Chemical Rodent Control
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
When I bought my first used 5er from a small dealer in Northern IL, I asked him how to prevent mice from entering the trailer in storage. I believe he could provide me with some advice since he had several new 5er in storage surrounded by corn fields. His answer to me was use plenty of Irish Spring soap around the openings. This is what he uses in his campers when in storage.
Will after 2 5er’s and 6 years of ownership (knocking on wood) I have not had a mouse problem as of yet with his advice. I place two bars around the leg openings on each side and then several bars in the basement. We also place them in the main cabin by the entrance door and by two or three by each slide opening. The empty boxes from the soap is placed on the carpet and thrown away in the spring.
Jim W.
We tried the Irish Spring soap too.....the mice ate it, but their skin was silky smooth
montana4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:38 AM   #22

Excel Owners Club
From my experience, it's easier to catch them after they get in. I keep a live trap about 10"x6"x2" in the rv at all times and put cheese in it. After they go in I do them in.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #23

I have also used Fresh Cab Fresh Cab All Natural Rodent Repellent, Control Mice Fast, Safe | Earth-kind.com for 4 years now with no mice problems very happy with this.
Kinda smells like Christmas Trees
A little pricey but how much is not having those things in your camper worth?
Mr BLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
for the past few years I have used the peppermint oil on the inside and I put moth balls around the tires. this worked for the trailer, this year did the same for the motorhome except I put moth balls in the basement storage areas. I check it once a month when I check the batteries, so far so good. I also give the inside a real good cleaning, vacuum out all the cabinets and remove most of the "stuff".
make sure you get the pure peppermint oil- I purchased mine at GNC. I put the peppermint oil on cotton balls in small plastic storage containers with the lid. when I check the batteries I also put more peppermint oil on the cotton balls..
I put the moth balls in plastic storage containers with holes in the lid so they don't spill out.
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
For our boat and RV I always have open containers of Decon inside. Just in case. On the outsides by the tires / jacks any place there is ground contact, I put some moth balls down and then a few under the bottom of both units. Our camper is on a perminate site in the country near trees and fields so there have to be mice there and we have never had a mouse problem with this method. Nor on spec of Decon gone when we open units up in the spring.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote