Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #1

Prevent Mice from getting into RV

Any ideas on how to prevent mice from getting into your RV when it is in storage?

Thanks
ChiefStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club

Name:   mice.jpg
Views: 4296
Size:  16.1 KB

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist.

The one thing I would not do is use poisons such as D-con. If the mice die where you can't get at them, they will stink for a long time. We had it happen in our house.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #3

Don't think it is possible to stop them completely! I am big on glue boards - some I leave open and flat and others u can make into little tunnels that they will crawl thru (try to get thru).

I put them in the basement an front compartment and from there any opening going up (H2O usually). A couple here and there in draws and the front closet and I feel pretty good, but don't forget if your TV is on a lift system to put one glue board at the bottom of the cabinet because mice like to chew on wires!

I do use poison but surround each tray of pellets w/ glue boards, more of a bait.
rmalikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefStan View Post
Any ideas on how to prevent mice from getting into your RV when it is in storage?

Thanks
I use spray foam been lucky with it so far. Any place where wires or holes I went from basement into crawl space did everything then got small heavy gauge metal screening and covered heating vents. I had a pack rat get into a unit I had a few years ago and it was a nightmare getting rid of it. Got into electrical was a mess. This will take some time but it's well worth it I just got a new Montana fifth wheel was the first thing I did to it, was mouse proof it.
Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #5

When I bought my first used 5er from a small dealer in Northern IL, I asked him how to prevent mice from entering the trailer in storage. I believe he could provide me with some advice since he had several new 5er in storage surrounded by corn fields. His answer to me was use plenty of Irish Spring soap around the openings. This is what he uses in his campers when in storage.
Will after 2 5er’s and 6 years of ownership (knocking on wood) I have not had a mouse problem as of yet with his advice. I place two bars around the leg openings on each side and then several bars in the basement. We also place them in the main cabin by the entrance door and by two or three by each slide opening. The empty boxes from the soap is placed on the carpet and thrown away in the spring.
Jim W.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/best-...ch-143852.html
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #7

I do not remember the product name, someone suggested that you check with a store like Tractor Supply, there is something you can springle around the tires that will keep mice away. It is also used in horse and hay barns or where feed is stored.

No other information .... sorry
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Spray CRITTER OUT once a month inside and outside
Old 01-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
When I bought my first used 5er from a small dealer in Northern IL, I asked him how to prevent mice from entering the trailer in storage. I believe he could provide me with some advice since he had several new 5er in storage surrounded by corn fields. His answer to me was use plenty of Irish Spring soap around the openings. This is what he uses in his campers when in storage.
Will after 2 5er’s and 6 years of ownership (knocking on wood) I have not had a mouse problem as of yet with his advice. I place two bars around the leg openings on each side and then several bars in the basement. We also place them in the main cabin by the entrance door and by two or three by each slide opening. The empty boxes from the soap is placed on the carpet and thrown away in the spring.
Jim W.
Do you use the orange type or the green ones?
Old 01-01-2013, 06:12 AM   #10

From tractor supply, the product is Fresh Cab. Seems to work well so far but not real cheap.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #11

we tried the bounty dryer sheets and bay leaves. worked pretty well. then found out about pepperrmint oil. the real stuff - not the frangrance oils. we put cotton balls in small bathroom cups, put a few drops of the oil on the cotton balls then place the cups under sinks, in storage compartments, etc. mice don't like the smell for some reason. have had very good luck with this and it smells nicer than mothballs!! good luck
5ers4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #12

You have to know your enemy to know what you are up against.

born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2travel View Post
You have to know your enemy to know what you are up against.
how true they,re little connivers.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Put their food outside away from the RV.