Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Price negotiations for a DRV!

Ok. Left the credit union with approval for the DRV38ssb3. We have sent 3 dealers our wish list of upgrades. Now, the next step is negotiations. I want them to compete! Where should I start with a discount on the entire unit? 20% 40%? and anywhere in between.... I do have my limits... don't have enough to cash out... but the home sold last week and we what to have the 5th wheel about the time we are to be out of the house...

Advice please!

rrcollings is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is a DRV38ssb3?

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
What is a DRV38ssb3?
Google doesn't know, either: https://www.google.com/search?q=DRV3...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I'm betting it's a honkin' big fifth wheel, but as an abundance of caution I recommend that the O.P. stick to my Price For Things That I'm Not Sure What They Are:

Don't offer them a penny more than $50.00!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #4
Bargaining strategy for RV.

Some suggestions from a person who negotiated labor agreements for a living. This is, admittedly, a different process. In the labor agreements both sides had goons, sort of, but the negotiating usually went on until the two principals got tired and decided the hell with it, split the difference and went home declaring victory.

First, I'd put out for bids. Since you apparently want a new, stock item this is possible. Complete description, ask for price, period. They will know you are talking to more than one company in more than one geographical area. Odds are they all know each other in the area. Get out of their clubhouse.

I'd make it clear that this is a one time only deal, if they have he best price they get the money and you are gone. I'd have a date on it for the return, as well as a personal note saying that you'd really like to pick it up in East Armpit, or wherever they are.

Add that you are sorry, you are certain you have enough money to cover it, but that if it's over budget the deal is off.

The more of them you send out the more likely you are to find a salesperson who simply has to make another sale that month or else.

You will also get replies for similar models if the vehicle you want isn't available to that dealer. Don't dismiss that offhand - could be a great deal in there.

And explain that there's nothing personal, it's just that there is a limited amount of money for this thing and you probably can't pay what it's worth.

Enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope with each request.

I think you'll be shocked by the replies
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
Sorry for listing the unit incorrectly. It is the DRV Mobile Suite 38rssb3.

I did send the list of options to 3 dealers and asked for pricing by end of day Friday. Hopefully we are surprised in a good way.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Hopefully you have done your homework on the internet to see what the asking price is at the various dealers. That should give you a good idea of what the discount from MSRP is. Then go from there. Or you can wait for the replies on pricing and then compare to other dealers found online. Only you will know that if you "feel like you got a good deal", then you got a good deal.
2003 Ford F-250 King Ranch 4x4 6L PSD
2012 Jayco 31.5FBHS
DW and an African Grey chatterbox
denverhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
Quite a rig but for 3 times what I got the Alpine for I can change my mind a couple more times. Interors look nearly the same real wood Corian tops I like the living area table though
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
What is your tow vehicle going to be? That is a big heavy fiver.

Jerry and Janell & Westie dog Gus (Augustus McCrae)
Navy by record Marine by choice
2005 Bounder 38N DP 300 CAT 2014 Jeep Wrangler
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
Yes, I've been checking online for pricing.

Will be pulling with the 2013 Chevy diesel 1T dually. It better work!
Old 09-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
You didn't say which dealers you had already contacted but I would suggest contacting the highest volume Drv dealer, Wheels RV in Springdale, AR. Ask for Heath. You might post this question on the suites owners website, Suites Owners International Travel Club, Inc., you can register as a guest and there's a thread for prospective owners to ask any question you want from actual owners. What is that Chevy rated to tow? We have a 36 rssb3 (stands for rear sofa side bath 3 slides) which weighs 18,400 loaded, so the 38 is gonna weigh more. We have a new Ford F350 and we are 3,000 underweight for the truck. You might be at max weight for the Chevy. Also check Rv's for Less, and there's a new Drv dealer in Elk City, OK, can't remember the name.
Jan & Thomas
2012 Drv Mobile Suite
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Chevy will be fine for pin weight. 13k gvwr. Going to be close to the limit of 27.5k for gcwr. Not sure you can get the 38 under 19k loaded. Ask the ?? at SOITC of actual loaded weights.
John & Diann
2014 Dutch Star 4364 - 2011 CRV EX-L AWD
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
The dealer in Oklahoma is www.rollingretreats.com

You should be able to get about 26-30% off MSRP, if in fact, you are getting the actual DRV pricing. Some dealers can make up their own MSRP sheets. And Wheels in Springdale is an excellent dealer to work with. Just kind of keep in mind the distance to the selling dealer if you need warranty work--some of the dealers either won't work on a unit they did not sell, or they will put you on a waiting list. And I strongly suggest that you not accept delivery until you are absolutely sure that it is what you ordered, and everything works correctly. Taking delivery from a dealer that has hookups at their store and you can stay in the unit for several days is the best way to make sure all is ok. The Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) takes many hours and you do not want to shorten/skip anything just because you are anxious to get on the road and use it.

'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unless local service is an issue for you, don't be afraid to go outside of your area.
It sounds like you will be traveling mostly anyway!

I shopped 5 dealers between 70 miles and 350 miles away from my home and saved $7,000 on better equipped model by driving the 350 miles.

I'd do it again in heartbeat.

I also agree with don't overlook the "in stock" deals. I knew what my minimum requirements were and got a great deal on mine because it was in stock taking up space. I traded colors and DW is happier for it!

Don't buy with emotion, you can always find another dealer and another deal.

Good luck!
2011 Allegro 35QBA
Kar Kaddy KK460SS
2007.5 GMC, LMM D/A, Crew Cab, Z71 4x4, Long Box
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Some dealers can make up their own MSRP sheets.
Some states (WA is one) don't require the manufacturer to post a MSRP on new RV's but they do on used units! Go figure!
WA even adds a B&O (Business & Occupation) tax on the unit and the dealer is free to pass it on through to the buyer, it was over $2,000 add'l expense on our DSDP! Kind of a shock as it wasn't shown in the order contract but I was still stuck paying it on the purchase contract.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote