Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2005, 10:38 AM   #1

I love in Destin Fl and the price of gas has come down to $2.64 per ,but desiel is $3.09 per. Is there a deisel shortage.
Another question .How can the truckers put up with these prices as America really runs on trucks.
Thanks

Tom Grogan
destin100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2005, 10:38 AM   #2

I love in Destin Fl and the price of gas has come down to $2.64 per ,but desiel is $3.09 per. Is there a deisel shortage.
Another question .How can the truckers put up with these prices as America really runs on trucks.
Thanks

Tom Grogan
Old 10-14-2005, 08:16 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Now you know why prices are going up on goods. Diesel is driving up all of the prices.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:03 AM   #4

Well around here diesel took another jump to $3.59/gal while gas continues to drop to $2.57.
This is just plain ridiculous to be $1 more per gal. Not even close to each other. Think there is a bit of gouging going on? I know I do.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:16 PM   #5

Diesel Dropped 0.40 cents per gallon wholesale yesterday. Now it might take two weeks or more to make it to the pumps. (Florida)

Its my opinion that the price of diesel is being held up buy the truckers. Since they are simply passing the price on for you and I to pay at the store or were ever, there is no incentive to lower the price as long as it can be passed on or written off as a business expense buy those who price it to us.

In Florida there is $0.54 cents/gallon of taxes on the Diesel Fuel and 33-35 cents/gallon on gas.

Diesel fuel has always been a commercial use product in the past and is taxed like any other business item by Federal, State, and local governments. Its time to distingush the tax at the pump for none commercial vehicles, so
all of us who are not in business get a break on the taxes applied.

Dave
Old 10-21-2005, 04:55 PM   #6

Here the price jumped from $3.09 to $3.57 in just two days. I was in Hawaii a couple of weeks ago and I say diesel for $3.52, but ags was $3.79. Here gas is $2.75.

That being said, the cold weather just hit and home heating oil season just started. That alone will drive prices up for a couple of week. Oil futures dropped, so in a couple of weeks I suspect the price will drop again soon.

Whn I bought this truck two years ago, diesel was $1.59.

Ouch.

Juan

2004 Dodge 3500 4x4 DRW HO/6 SPD B&W+Companion, Prodigy, Line-X, Pac Brake
JRMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 01:02 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
The price spread between regular gasoline and #2 diesel with the road tax is ludicrous.

For the past two or three years the bump in diesel during the period of time that a lot of fuel was being sold as home heating oil, the difference has been 15-20 cents. Now the spread seems to be $.50 and up to $1.00 in some places.

It's outright gouging if you ask me!
Old 10-22-2005, 05:13 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Richard, I have to agree with you in that I feel the oil companies are engaging in old fashion GREED.

I feel that with diesel fuel so high, we will see an attempt by the truckers to have a couple of day slow down or stoppage in driving to put some pressure on D.C. While I generally do not agree with this type of tactics, in this case, I'm all for them to try it. It might make a point and then again it might not.

With our current President and his family's close ties to the oil industry, he will be very reluctant to do anything that might upset the oil companies. We need to start complaing to our local represenatives as well as D.C. If you don't scream, ou won't be heard.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:49 PM   #9

Our local price is $2.449 for gasoline and $3.599 for diesel fuel. $1.15 more for diesel does not make cents for me.
Wayne & Marjorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:12 AM   #10

According to AAA gas watch, Indiana is the highest price in the US and Michigan is second by a fraction of a cent. I unfortunately live in Michigan.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:35 PM   #11

Diesel cost less to produce than gasoline and produces less noxious emissions. However, thanks to the uneducated cries of well meaning evironmentalist, the government mandated that diesel fuel sold as a motor fuel must now be low sulpher. This drove the price of production up about .10 cents a gallon and the rest is greed from the manufacturers, the carriers and your local store. Hope this helps a little.
TTT1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:41 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
Whike gas prices and oil futures seem to be trending down right now, diesel seems to continue to increase. This is why I am going out today to look at a gas truck. This price discrepency makes absolutely no sense, and no one can seem to give a resonable explenation as to why.

I do agree that the end consumer is picking up some of these fuel cost increases, but I can assure you, we are not seeing all of it yet. In my position as an accountant for a large manufacturing company, I see the impact on our bottom line for the costs we have not been able to pass to our customers which would be the Lowes, Home Depots, and Walmarts to name a few of the biggest. These are not just the fuel costs for freight either. It includes any petroleum based raw material used in manufacturing.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:59 PM   #13

Re Price of Deisel:
I love in Destin Fl (Panhandle) and today the price of Deisel went down $.38 per gallon....
Great News

Tom Grogan
Old 10-25-2005, 04:43 PM   #14

Diesel price is all fake. Much of this price gouging is due to all the etrading on the futures market, plus contracts that were purchased wrongly over the past few months.

I think all this etrading and futures contract errors need to be regulated tighter to stop this stuff. The limit right now is 25 cents in 5 minutes, hold for 5 minutes and adjust limit 25 cents again either up or down. Today Heating Oil was $1.88 (basically diesel) and this was the lowest since September 1st. Where I am it just went up again to $1.069 per litre or $3.43 US per US gallon.

Another thing is the taxes we Canadians pay on gasoline and diesel is about 43% of the price at the pump. So the Governments are happy when prices are high, and the producers are happy.

I can tell WE ARE NOT HAPPY!