Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2015, 06:27 PM   #1

Problem solved

We had to live in our 5th wheel all summer due to some water damage in our house. Ran water and cable from the house to the camper. When it became fall, as with most creatures, we had a mouse decide to make the basement his(her) home. Pulled insulation(haven't figured out where from, don't really care) and made what almost looked like an igloo. Perfect winter quarters.

After 'relocating' the mouse, I plugged the obvious entrance. Drilled and reamed a hole just big enough in the cover for the end of the water hose to fit thru and did the same for the cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1310.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	113154  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Looking good. That oughta do it

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:35 PM   #3

Interesting. Of course, the holes have to be big enough for the end of the cable etc. to fit through. If the end fitting is too big there will be room enough for something to get through. I wonder if you could make another piece with the holes only slightly (1/16") oversize and use a coping saw to cut it in half through the holes. Some tape or glue on both sides would keep the two halves together and would be a bigger discouragement to small creatures wanting a ride to a warmer place.

You could also get a cat, but then you may have to explain to the cat that you really like the gift of the dead mouse, you really have no need of it.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good solution. The Dutch Star had a slit that the hose fit into that had weather stripping that closed around the hose and wire. The present rig has just the removable hatch like pictured. If the DW gets a liver transplant we'll have to live near the hosp so this idea might be just the ticket.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:55 AM   #5

We had a similar problem a few years ago with squirrels nesting and having a family in our TT of the time. We caught and relocated the adults, but didn't know about the litter until they came out of the refrig vent while we were camping. They had no fear and ran around our feet, then settled in the covered spare tire because they couldn't make it to the vent. When it was time to leave, I put them in a tree and had DW stand guard while I pulled the TT down the road 100 yards. She came to the truck with tears on her cheeks. The babies chased the trailer as it pulled away because it was the only home they knew.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #6
IC2

There is actually a product that you can purchase that will take care of critters - and appropriately called an RV Critter Guard (RV Accessory, Motorhome Pest and Insect Control - RV-Critter Guard). A friend has one for his 5er and it looks like a decent product and is on my list for next year, replacing that fugly wadded up T-shirt I've been using to plug the hole.

Oh and that hole - it looks like there is still enough room for an energetic mouse/ants to get in past the hose. Steel wool will fix it though
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #7

Get a product called Fresh Cab you can look at it online . Throw some packets in your basement every couple of months. Has a mint smell that mice can't handle and will leave. Works great for me as long as you remember to replsce them. Sold at alot of rv stores Tractor supply about $15.00 for a packet of 4.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:15 PM   #8

I have pieces of foam rubber I stuff around the fresh water hose and power cable where they exit (and if not hooked up, in the openings), and also around the sewer hose.

I know it won't stop a determined critter, but my guess is that it is a reasonable deterrent and it would be very obvious if something had decided to chew thier way in. It it tight enough to keep out bugs, ants, spiders too.

Now that it's winter, I have put Fresh Cab in my engine compartment and in my rear wheel wells to try to discourage any critters that would like to make a home or chew on wires on the exterior.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:15 PM   #9

At a marine store, you can get a hatch just like the one you have, but it hs a snap in cover. Drill the hole to the exact size to neet for the hose and wire, cut the cap in half through the two holes, put in the hose and wire, put the two pieces together and snap in place.
elliott-maine is offline   Reply With Quote