Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #1

Problems

Hello,

We're fairly new to full-timing...and RVing in general. We bought a 2010 Open Range 391RES and have been living in it since March 1st. We have had quite a few things go wrong and wondered if this is normal.

First our equalizer broke and ruined two of the tires, so we had to get the equalizers changed and got four new tires. Then one of the front levelling struts stopped working. Then the LP/CO2 detector malfunctioned...we got the fire department out to check it for us. Now the same front levelling strut isn't working again and one of the back ones cracked and now needs welding.

I'm finding this rather stressful...not what I was expecting from our new lifestyle.

Any insights welcome.
Thanks
Barbara
AloraDanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Barbara

Sorry things are not going so well. You didn't say if you bought it used or if it was a left over on the lot. All I can say is work thru the issues and it will get better. We've been full time for 4 years now and it is a very enjoyable lifestyle. I have met quite a few full timers living in Open Range 5ers and they love their units. Remember this is your home now and like with any home, things break and need fixing.

If your unit is a left over then it could be that the equalizer was installed incorrectly during manufacturing. Many things can cause a Co2 detector to fail. During my years in the fire service, I responded to many Co2 alarm activations and found no Co2 issues in the home. Just a malfunctioning Co2 detector. The Co2 detector in my house (when I still had it) sounded once and the levels were at 0.0. You can replace the sensing material, I just bought a new detector. I replaced all of my detectors in my coach with new ones from Lowe's. I never heard of the brand that was installed in my coach. As far as your struts, can't say. Maybe it wasn't fixed correctly the first time. A cracked strut sounds like there was flaw in the metal when manufactured; unless something happened to crack it.

Since we went full time we have had to have our furnace repaired (high limit switch and sail switch went bad). We recently had to replace the pressure relief valve in the hot water heater. The seal on the LR slide came apart and had to be replaced. And my least favorite issue was unplugging the black tank once because it would drain. YUK!!!!!

Keep your head up. You will come to love full timing regardless of the issues.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
All RVs will have some problems....things break. Keep on top of things.

I did not realize that Open Range considered their units as full-time units.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
All RVs will have some problems....things break. Keep on top of things.

I did not realize that Open Range considered their units as full-time units.

Ken
What do you mean...considered a full-time unit? Can't you use any 5th Wheel to full-time?

Thanks
Barbara
Old 06-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A true full-time unit is a 4-season RV and also is a lot heavier due to construction methods. Heavier frame, better insulation, carpet, heavier wood cabinets, furniture,.....and the list goes on.

You can use any RV to full-time, but some are designed for full time use. Many manufacturers will specifically state in the warranty that the unit is not intended for full time use and thus not warrantied.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
A true full-time unit is a 4-season RV and also is a lot heavier due to construction methods. Heavier frame, better insulation, carpet, heavier wood cabinets, furniture,.....and the list goes on.

You can use any RV to full-time, but some are designed for full time use. Many manufacturers will specifically state in the warranty that the unit is not intended for full time use and thus not warrantied.

Ken
I looked on the Open Range website and it says it has the four season protection package. Would that mean its suited for full-time use?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AloraDanin View Post
I looked on the Open Range website and it says it has the four season protection package.
That just means you can use it anytime of the year, just not 100% of the time in all seasons.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #8

Need more Information

Hi

Before we get into the issue of full timing lets get some more information about the unit you are having problems with.

Did you purchase new or used?

If new what year did you purchase?

If it was more than 1 year old when you purchased did you receive anything from the selling dealer that indicated the warranty and how long a warranty it was.

Phil P
Old 06-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #9

Please be encouraged. Do not let your breakdowns stop you at this point.

We have a 2000 Fleetwood Wilderness and we have been full timing in it for over a year. We are only in mild climates so never have to deal with a big freeze, as we pick vacation spots that never drop to the freezing temps.

I lucked out and my unit while it is approaching 13 years old is in amazing condition. I am mechanically inclined so most repairs I can do myself.

Upkeep and maintenance is the key. I am so sorry your 5ver came to you with so many problems. Just fix each one and stay on top of your regular maintenance and you will in time see some benefit.

I do hope more good will out weigh your bad and that you can be encouraged with some good times and make some great memories as you travel the open road.

This forum is so wonderful to give you knowledge on how to fix things. If you are stumped on something you will get the answer in here.

Not everyone ever agrees with each other as allot of people will have different opinions on subject matter. Do what I do. Use the stick method when you ask a question keep track of all the answers you get that all have the same suggestions and the ones that stick out and do not meet with the whole group, then do more research yourself until you feel confident you have the right information. It is a learning experience and I am a newbie and I have allot to learn yet about 5ving... but I have to say it has been so rewarding and this forum is awesome at helping with problems.

Good Luck and I do hope your troubles will go away soon. Don't give up. You will love this eventually if you do not feel so great about it right now.

Happy trails....
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote