Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-02-2015, 03:13 PM   #1
Question Problems Leveling out our 5th Wheel

We have an Open Range 42', but lately we have had big problems getting it to level out, what could be the problems, we have an automatic level.
Could use some info.

Cartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 03:23 PM   #2
We could use more info too.

To start, what year, and what leveling system do you have. Probably Lippert, but they make at least three different ones, some with 4 legs, some with 6.

And when does it happen? Using shore power, using truck power, how level is the site, slides in or out? What is your procedure start to end and when is the issue happening and what exactly is the issue?

jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:21 PM   #3
Check the fluid reservoir for full then, try zero setting the controller. Check the instructions, if you don't have the manual you may be able to google it and get a copy. Just make sure your on a known level surface.
2016 Bighorn 3160EL
2015 RAM 3500 6.7L I6 4x4 CC SB SRW
KerrTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:30 AM   #4

I have Lippert with 6 jacks. I had the same problem, but found that I could manually over ride the auto level. It took about 5 minutes to level it out in each direction. It was so bad out of level before hand that my refrigerator would not cool down.

Next setup, I plan to zero it out, and try the auto level again.
Chevy 2500HD 6.6 2007, Bay Hill 320RS 2015
ostory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:50 AM   #5
Open Range Leveling

Originally Posted by Cartist View Post
We have an Open Range 42', but lately we have had big problems getting it to level out, what could be the problems, we have an automatic level.
Could use some info.
You might want to check out the Open Range Owners Website. There is much discussion on the four point electrical leveling system that is on your 5th Wheel. The electric units seem to be much more problematic than the hydraulic units but they weigh less and cost less so it is to the manufacturer's advantage to use the electrics.

Open Range RV Owners Forum • Index page
2006 Chev 2500HD, 4x4, Duramax, Edge, Timbrens, Mag-Hytek, AMP, AFE - 2009 Cedar Creek 362BSA 5th Wheel, 8 lug alloys, 235/85x16G614, 5th Airborne Ext Pin Box
SoCADesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
In the Hyd "big foot" 2011 I had troble until i learned two things :

1. Before you go to "auto" get the front a little high so the first move the leveler does is lower the front.
2, Be patient ...There can be a significant delay after the front lowers until the back jacks start down...no more than 15-20 seconds , but I would think it was done and start messing with it ...just wait !
Jim-n-Henri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:13 PM   #7
lip pert automatic level

Ours would go crazy when you pressed auto and end up raising the wheels on one side or the other. After observing that when it said "lowering left rear", it would lower right rear and the same for the other side it would lower opposite side then go crazy because lowering the wrong side had negative results. So when I got home after a couple of trips, I got an idea to swap the wiring harness connecters on the control module mounted on the ceiling of the basement. They were marked which leg they controlled so it was easy to determine which two to switch. This fixed it and now works perfect every time.
That was on our 2014 dutchman danali
2015 siverado extended cab 4x4 2500 high country
2015 Winnebago destination 37fl

bob3346 is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, leveling