Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2010, 12:01 AM   #1

Problems with 2009 Heartland Bighorn 3600 RE

Hey RVers, just wandering if anyone out there has experienced any of the same problems that we are going through. Here goes the list:

Rear window leaks, land jack motor has burned (plus, switch is missing), Leak at the waterpump, double kitchen sink leaks on both sides, p-trap for shower leaks, inlet water leaks, shower leaks on all sides, sink in bathroom won't hold water, sound system won't work, cable going to TV must be replaced because it is too short, ceiling fan very noisy, capacitor for AC compressor burned, and water won't go in black tank to clean. All these problems and still so new! And to make matters worse, the RV dealer from which we purchased said they will not pay for warranty on anything- very troublesome getting anything repaired on their dime, as it should be. Have any of you experienced some of the same issues with the 2009 Heartland Bighorn 3600 RE? I would love to hear about it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcMahon View Post
Hey RVers, just wandering if anyone out there has experienced any of the same problems that we are going through. Here goes the list:

Rear window leaks, land jack motor has burned (plus, switch is missing), Leak at the waterpump, double kitchen sink leaks on both sides, p-trap for shower leaks, inlet water leaks, shower leaks on all sides, sink in bathroom won't hold water, sound system won't work, cable going to TV must be replaced because it is too short, ceiling fan very noisy, capacitor for AC compressor burned, and water won't go in black tank to clean. All these problems and still so new! And to make matters worse, the RV dealer from which we purchased said they will not pay for warranty on anything- very troublesome getting anything repaired on their dime, as it should be. Have any of you experienced some of the same issues with the 2009 Heartland Bighorn 3600 RE? I would love to hear about it.
I have a 2008 BH3400RL. The only common problem I've had with you is the land jack motor & the gear reduction box... but MANY different ones including a collapsed suspension system, a faulty microwave/convection oven, a faulty fireplace, a bad sound system, etc. I hope you get better service than I got when I had my problems.

Eh!

Old 02-17-2010, 08:16 AM   #3

Other than some poor construction, which is common in the RV industry I don't see why you cannot fix almost of all those issues yourself in less than one day. Have you contacted the factory? Yea, I know, it is still under warranty and the dealer should take care of it. But the reality of it is that dealer service is generally not very good. They usually don't care, so fix it yourself and don't give the dealer another thought.
I would be willing to bet anything that the reason you are burning out the jack motors is that you are running the legs up until they stop. What you are doing is depending on the clutch and in reality the clutch is nothing more than the gears slipping. I fixed mine years ago and have never had another problem with the jacks.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:00 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get a lawyer and call the factory. Your trailer isunder warranty and should be covered for such things for the first year, at least. Submit your complaiints to Trailer life magazine for their help.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #5

Bighorn Issues

I have a 2007 Bighorn 2055RL and have experienced issues similar to yours. Here are the problems and my fixes: Inlet water connection leaks: Retighten; if you can giggle the female end on the trailer, retighten again; I found a little silicon spray on the threads helps. Water pump leaks: I thought mine did too, but it was the loose inlet connection that allowed water to accumulate around the pump. Shower leaks: Re-caulk between the glass and the fiberglass tub; took me three times to get this one right; you may still get a little water leak around the door, that's probably normal. Bathroom sink doesn't hold water: Adjust sink stopper; it's a cheap set-up. Sound system doesn't work: My surround speakers would only work when playing the DVD; Reconnected the speaker wire on the back of the DVD player and put player in AUX mode; Now TV has stereo. Front jack problem: My gear would slip if extended too far; use some wood blocks, 4X6 type to place on ground under jacks to reduce amount of travel when extending jacks; They tore mine apart looking for trouble and found none; the blocks seem to have done the trick. I had a few more complicated issues, but guess I had a good dealer, cause they really took care of me. Still have some minor stuff from time, but guess that's the nature of the beast. Bet some folks would like to know who your dealer is, so they can run the other direction. I would get a big sign expressing my disatisfaction and stand in front of the dealer until they understood my concerns. It won't take long, trust me. You should have a warranty, make them honor it. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #6

Woops! My Bighorn is a 3055RL, not 2055RL and my message was mean't for JMcMahon's and his problems with his Bighorn. I'm new here and still trying to figure it out. Sorry bout that.

Tags
heartland