Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #1

Progressive Industries unit question

I have a 5er and use a 50 amp surge protector and tester plug in that I use to test circuits before I plug in my trailer. Besides being automatic, is there any advantage to a Progressive Industries unit over my plug in?
HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
I have a 5er and use a 50 amp surge protector and tester plug in that I use to test circuits before I plug in my trailer. Besides being automatic, is there any advantage to this unit over my plug in?
Back to my previous post. Are you talking about a surge protector or an
EMS?

What is you "plug in tester" you are using? Is it something that plugs into the 50 amp receptical?

EMS comes in both hard wired and plug in. Both do the same thing and both have pros and cons.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:35 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
I have a 5er and use a 50 amp surge protector and tester plug in that I use to test circuits before I plug in my trailer. Besides being automatic, is there any advantage to this unit over my plug in?
Yes, even though your tester shows good the voltage can drop in a RV park when everyone turns on their ACs. I had one park pedestal show good voltage when tested, but as soon as a load was placed on it the voltage on one leg dropped to 60 volts. An EMS (Energy Management System) like the Progressive units will protect your coach and cut out if the voltage drops below 108 volts. Low voltage can cause the motors in AC units or a fridge to overheat as they strain to work.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #4

Last 4th of July, not only did our EMS catch a bad breaker when plugged in the pedestal, it shut us down 3 or 4 times that day for low voltage. Also has a 2 minute delay which stops those electricity “blinks” from messing up stuff.
TRNewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #5

My Progressive is a built in and has a readout in the cupboard. This works the same as the plug in version but you don't have to go outside to read the codes. Plus it is much harder to walk off with.
The EMS is working all the time and not just when you pull in and check the pedistal. Mine has shut us down for high voltage, low voltage and open ground in the past.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #6

Thanks all.
HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote