Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2016, 11:59 AM   #1

Propane use to cool refrigerator

Wanted to ask folks about using the propane on my 5th wheel to cool the freezer and refrigerator before using my trailer. I am not able to bring my trailer to my house prior to leave on trips. That being said, I wanted to see if there would be any issues with me using my propane to do this about 24hrs prior to use. My only concern is the fact that I have to leave the trailer batteries on for that amount of time. Will this be OK? Didn't want to run the batts down etc. Please advise.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2016, 12:09 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have done it that way for years with no issue.

Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
I have done it that way for years with no issue.
Thank you. Again, new to RVing and have not camped using the propane yet. Have always had a full hookup and have used electric or the generator to cool everything down.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerman7 View Post
Wanted to ask folks about using the propane on my 5th wheel to cool the freezer and refrigerator before using my trailer. I am not able to bring my trailer to my house prior to leave on trips. That being said, I wanted to see if there would be any issues with me using my propane to do this about 24hrs prior to use. My only concern is the fact that I have to leave the trailer batteries on for that amount of time. Will this be OK? Didn't want to run the batts down etc. Please advise.
Tillerman7
That should cause you no problems if the house batteries are fully charged.
(A RV absorption refrigerator uses very little 12V power when operating on propane).
Mel
'96 Safari, 682 Norcold fridge
Old 08-31-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Tillerman7
That should cause you no problems if the house batteries are fully charged.
(A RV absorption refrigerator uses very little 12V power when operating on propane).
Mel
'96 Safari, 682 Norcold fridge
It only uses 12V power to ignite the flame and power the thermostat. Just make sure that BOTH propane tanks are turned on so your automatic switch-over can work as intended.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKamperRV View Post
It only uses 12V power to ignite the flame and power the thermostat. Just make sure that BOTH propane tanks are turned on so your automatic switch-over can work as intended.
Correct, except that when not plugged in the auto switchover will know that 120vac is not available and will stay on propane.

Concur with Mel, the actual 12vdc usage is very low, and for that matter so is the propane use. Think of it like a pilot light.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Correct, except that when not plugged in the auto switchover will know that 120vac is not available and will stay on propane.

Concur with Mel, the actual 12vdc usage is very low, and for that matter so is the propane use. Think of it like a pilot light.
The auto switchover, that was referenced was between the 2 propane tanks. When 1 runs out it switchs over to the other.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:00 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The auto switchover, that was referenced was between the 2 propane tanks. When 1 runs out it switchs over to the other.
Yes
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:07 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
RV's are supposed to be self sufficient. Would you be worried about going boondocking for a couple of days? You shouldn't need to worry unless your batteries are marginal.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
RV's are supposed to be self sufficient. Would you be worried about going boondocking for a couple of days? You shouldn't need to worry unless your batteries are marginal.
Exactly. It shouldn't be an issue at all.

I think you will find 24 hours is a good goal for letting the refrigerator get nice and cold and stay nice and cold from the very start of your trip. It takes several hours to get to full efficiency anyway so having it run prior to your trip will allow your food to stay frozen and drinks to stay cold.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:38 PM   #11

Don't forget to pre cool the stuff you put in the fridge......😀

Tags
propane, refrigerator