RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2019, 08:37 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Propane use while towing?

I've been reading threads about traveling during winter and if I'm reading correctly, it seems that there are suggestions of running the propane furnace while towing. Is this safe?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2019, 08:54 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes, the system is designed, built, tested and certified to be used while in motion.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #3

so you'd be running the furnace in the trailer while you were towing it with the pickup?while it might be safe why do it? get to your destination and then start the furnace. they heat up a trailer pretty fast.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
so you'd be running the furnace in the trailer while you were towing it with the pickup?while it might be safe why do it? get to your destination and then start the furnace. they heat up a trailer pretty fast.
Maybe so the stuff inside doesn't freeze while on the road.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Maybe so the stuff inside doesn't freeze while on the road.
Why would the items in your trailer freeze as you tow the trailer down the road?

I would think that you would set-up everyday at a location to spend the night. If it is cold enough to freeze over night, I would believe you would run the furnace during the night and turn on the holding tank heaters. When you break camp the next day the trailer should be at least 68 deg's inside or so. I don't think the trailer would loose 30 deg's in temperature in an 8 hour day. I would also leave the 12V tank heaters on to keep the holding tanks from freezing. So, therefore nothing should freeze!
Old 09-02-2019, 10:00 AM   #6

During winter travel I have run my 5th wheel trailer propane furnace so inside of 5vr was warm upon arrival, underbelly (tanks/valves/lines) were heated and so I had a nice warm place to walk into after setting up 5vr.

In summer have done the same with gen & A/C Unit .....nice and cool rig after setting up

RV appliances can be operated w/o having to be stationary.
All part of that 'self-contained' concept

YES you can.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I would also leave the 12V tank heaters on to keep the holding tanks from freezing. So, therefore nothing should freeze!
Tank heaters? What are those? /s Not equipped on many. I don't have them....

Anyway it takes a good hour+ to warm up our RV...why not just have it warm when you get there?

Run it!
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #8

Nothing wrong with running the furnace on the road.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Why would the items in your trailer freeze as you tow the trailer down the road?

I would think that you would set-up everyday at a location to spend the night. If it is cold enough to freeze over night, I would believe you would run the furnace during the night and turn on the holding tank heaters. When you break camp the next day the trailer should be at least 68 deg's inside or so. I don't think the trailer would loose 30 deg's in temperature in an 8 hour day. I would also leave the 12V tank heaters on to keep the holding tanks from freezing. So, therefore nothing should freeze!
65mph wind drives the cold in fast. Set up your rig on a 31 degree day and test how often the furnace kicks on the keep temperature. Now do that on a windy day. It happens more often.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:57 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
Tank heaters? What are those? /s Not equipped on many. I don't have them....

Anyway it takes a good hour+ to warm up our RV...why not just have it warm when you get there?

Run it!
The Beacon does have tank heaters that automatically kick on when the temp drops below freezing. At least that's what I was told by Vanleigh RV tech support group. I'll have to double check, there may be a switch to turn this on at the control panel, but then it only comes on when temps drop. I'm not sure if they run on the 12V system or off A/C power.....in which case they would not work while going down the road, unless I'm running the genny.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:13 AM   #11

Well, it's going to burn through your propane pretty quick. This is especially true if driving somewhere that is below freezing during the day. The odds of the flame going out are very very low, and if it does, the odds of your system malfunctioning and continuing to fill the RV with propane and re-igniting are even lower. I travel with my propane on. Never thought to use the furnace though.

You're asking in case you get caught in a freak cold front you didn't see coming while you're heading south right? Cuz you know, you're mobile and can easily avoid freezing temperatures. Me and my fat butt head back south when that white stuff starts falling from the sky.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
Well, it's going to burn through your propane pretty quick. This is especially true if driving somewhere that is below freezing during the day. The odds of the flame going out are very very low, and if it does, the odds of your system malfunctioning and continuing to fill the RV with propane and re-igniting are even lower. I travel with my propane on. Never thought to use the furnace though.

You're asking in case you get caught in a freak cold front you didn't see coming while you're heading south right? Cuz you know, you're mobile and can easily avoid freezing temperatures. Me and my fat butt head back south when that white stuff starts falling from the sky.
I'm planning a trip to Arizona from Virginia in late December. I anticipate freezing temps at night are somewhat likely but last year here the temps were in the single digits the last week of December. Stayed below freezing during the day for several days.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:30 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Some of us travel TO the cold intentionally, either for skiing or hunting and the daytime temperatures can be well below freezing. Running the furnace on it's lowest setting is needed while traveling so the water system does not freeze. I have tank heaters as well and may also install elbow heaters for ease in dumping too, although my trailer has all dump valves inside the heated envelope of the trailer.

Even in summer we travel with the fridge running on propane. Daytime temps of 100 degrees and a 7 or 8 hour tow would be more than I want the fridge off for and we like to stop and make lunch or grab fresh cool drinks so just not opening it is not going to work. We bought it for convenient travel and it was built to be used this way, why not use it?
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:44 PM   #14

Furnace on while traveling below freezing temps absolutely. i run both furnaces and yes two use less propane then one as they dont run as long. On hot days start the genny two hoirs before arrival and cool it. much easier to overcome heat with slides in. just an opinion.

consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tow, towing