RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-02-2019, 08:37 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
RoadEyePie's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Hot Springs, VA
Posts: 1,033
Propane use while towing?

I've been reading threads about traveling during winter and if I'm reading correctly, it seems that there are suggestions of running the propane furnace while towing. Is this safe?
__________________

__________________
RoadEyePie - 2019 VLRV Beacon 39 GBB
2018 GMC 3500 HD Sierra Denali Durmax Diesel DRW CC LB 4x4
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2019, 08:54 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 36,219
Yes, the system is designed, built, tested and certified to be used while in motion.
__________________

__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 Jeep JKU Dragon Edition
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: payson, az
Posts: 364
so you'd be running the furnace in the trailer while you were towing it with the pickup?while it might be safe why do it? get to your destination and then start the furnace. they heat up a trailer pretty fast.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:36 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 19,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
so you'd be running the furnace in the trailer while you were towing it with the pickup?while it might be safe why do it? get to your destination and then start the furnace. they heat up a trailer pretty fast.
Maybe so the stuff inside doesn't freeze while on the road.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:46 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
jimcumminsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oswego IL
Posts: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Maybe so the stuff inside doesn't freeze while on the road.
Why would the items in your trailer freeze as you tow the trailer down the road?

I would think that you would set-up everyday at a location to spend the night. If it is cold enough to freeze over night, I would believe you would run the furnace during the night and turn on the holding tank heaters. When you break camp the next day the trailer should be at least 68 deg's inside or so. I don't think the trailer would loose 30 deg's in temperature in an 8 hour day. I would also leave the 12V tank heaters on to keep the holding tanks from freezing. So, therefore nothing should freeze!
__________________
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:00 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 10,695
During winter travel I have run my 5th wheel trailer propane furnace so inside of 5vr was warm upon arrival, underbelly (tanks/valves/lines) were heated and so I had a nice warm place to walk into after setting up 5vr.


In summer have done the same with gen & A/C Unit .....nice and cool rig after setting up


RV appliances can be operated w/o having to be stationary.
All part of that 'self-contained' concept


YES you can.
__________________
Is it time for YOUR Medication or Mine?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I would also leave the 12V tank heaters on to keep the holding tanks from freezing. So, therefore nothing should freeze!
Tank heaters? What are those? /s Not equipped on many. I don't have them....

Anyway it takes a good hour+ to warm up our RV...why not just have it warm when you get there?

Run it!
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Tucson
Posts: 1,251
Nothing wrong with running the furnace on the road.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Why would the items in your trailer freeze as you tow the trailer down the road?

I would think that you would set-up everyday at a location to spend the night. If it is cold enough to freeze over night, I would believe you would run the furnace during the night and turn on the holding tank heaters. When you break camp the next day the trailer should be at least 68 deg's inside or so. I don't think the trailer would loose 30 deg's in temperature in an 8 hour day. I would also leave the 12V tank heaters on to keep the holding tanks from freezing. So, therefore nothing should freeze!
65mph wind drives the cold in fast. Set up your rig on a 31 degree day and test how often the furnace kicks on the keep temperature. Now do that on a windy day. It happens more often.
__________________
Professional mechanic.
2018 Ram 2500 HD Mega cab.
mobilemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:57 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
RoadEyePie's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Hot Springs, VA
Posts: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
Tank heaters? What are those? /s Not equipped on many. I don't have them....

Anyway it takes a good hour+ to warm up our RV...why not just have it warm when you get there?

Run it!
The Beacon does have tank heaters that automatically kick on when the temp drops below freezing. At least that's what I was told by Vanleigh RV tech support group. I'll have to double check, there may be a switch to turn this on at the control panel, but then it only comes on when temps drop. I'm not sure if they run on the 12V system or off A/C power.....in which case they would not work while going down the road, unless I'm running the genny.
__________________
RoadEyePie - 2019 VLRV Beacon 39 GBB
2018 GMC 3500 HD Sierra Denali Durmax Diesel DRW CC LB 4x4
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:13 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 544
Well, it's going to burn through your propane pretty quick. This is especially true if driving somewhere that is below freezing during the day. The odds of the flame going out are very very low, and if it does, the odds of your system malfunctioning and continuing to fill the RV with propane and re-igniting are even lower. I travel with my propane on. Never thought to use the furnace though.



You're asking in case you get caught in a freak cold front you didn't see coming while you're heading south right? Cuz you know, you're mobile and can easily avoid freezing temperatures. Me and my fat butt head back south when that white stuff starts falling from the sky.
__________________
2014 F350 DRW 6.7L CC FX4 King Ranch Ruby Red Metallic 148,000 Miles 4,200 Hours
2018 Cherokee Grey Wolf 29TE | Because I'm home, no matter where I am.
2018 Honda CB650F | Because the truck leans the wrong way when I turn.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
RoadEyePie's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Hot Springs, VA
Posts: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
Well, it's going to burn through your propane pretty quick. This is especially true if driving somewhere that is below freezing during the day. The odds of the flame going out are very very low, and if it does, the odds of your system malfunctioning and continuing to fill the RV with propane and re-igniting are even lower. I travel with my propane on. Never thought to use the furnace though.



You're asking in case you get caught in a freak cold front you didn't see coming while you're heading south right? Cuz you know, you're mobile and can easily avoid freezing temperatures. Me and my fat butt head back south when that white stuff starts falling from the sky.
I'm planning a trip to Arizona from Virginia in late December. I anticipate freezing temps at night are somewhat likely but last year here the temps were in the single digits the last week of December. Stayed below freezing during the day for several days.
__________________
RoadEyePie - 2019 VLRV Beacon 39 GBB
2018 GMC 3500 HD Sierra Denali Durmax Diesel DRW CC LB 4x4
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:30 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
keymastr's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,575
Some of us travel TO the cold intentionally, either for skiing or hunting and the daytime temperatures can be well below freezing. Running the furnace on it's lowest setting is needed while traveling so the water system does not freeze. I have tank heaters as well and may also install elbow heaters for ease in dumping too, although my trailer has all dump valves inside the heated envelope of the trailer.

Even in summer we travel with the fridge running on propane. Daytime temps of 100 degrees and a 7 or 8 hour tow would be more than I want the fridge off for and we like to stop and make lunch or grab fresh cool drinks so just not opening it is not going to work. We bought it for convenient travel and it was built to be used this way, why not use it?
__________________
2017 Creekside 23 RBS
2016 F250 Super Crew XLT
Kennewick, WA.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:44 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
consolenut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 773
Furnace on while traveling below freezing temps absolutely. i run both furnaces and yes two use less propane then one as they dont run as long. On hot days start the genny two hoirs before arrival and cool it. much easier to overcome heat with slides in. just an opinion.
__________________

__________________
08 GMC C-4500 w/Custom bed. 8.1L
45ft 2007 Teton Reliance Experience XT-4
TSLB Trailer Saver w/ 3rd airbag
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
propane, tow, towing



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual reciever use while flat towing eglhvn1 Class A Motorhome Discussions 12 11-11-2016 02:52 PM
Is this just our RV? No sound on TV while running Generator while driving? vanbuskirk Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 5 09-06-2016 01:52 PM
Excessive propane use + backup propane system JerryHooper Toy Haulers Discussion 10 11-22-2014 07:54 PM
Propane/Frig. While Towing rideandslide Travel Trailer Discussion 56 07-16-2014 10:55 AM
to run refrig while not in use or not while parked fxdave MH-General Discussions & Problems 29 11-02-2010 08:09 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×