Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2005, 07:14 AM   #1

Hello all,

Probably a stupid question but...

I was told when we did our walk-through (by the salesman) that the landing gear legs should always be set to the same height. But I've found that on some hilly sites that it is sometimes better to set one leg higher than the other. Is this ok?

Unfortunately, I have to take the rig in today because the one leg of the landing gear is bent and will no longer go up and down. I damaged it when I tried to hitch up on a hilly and rocky site (gorgeous site!) and hit the pin wrong. It moved one leg of the landing gear but not the other and the one that didn't move bent.

Oh, well! Trials and tribulations of boon docking!

Thanks for any thoughts and/or suggestions.

David

2003 Keystone Hornet 32'
DavidB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2005, 07:14 AM   #2

Hello all,

Probably a stupid question but...

I was told when we did our walk-through (by the salesman) that the landing gear legs should always be set to the same height. But I've found that on some hilly sites that it is sometimes better to set one leg higher than the other. Is this ok?

Unfortunately, I have to take the rig in today because the one leg of the landing gear is bent and will no longer go up and down. I damaged it when I tried to hitch up on a hilly and rocky site (gorgeous site!) and hit the pin wrong. It moved one leg of the landing gear but not the other and the one that didn't move bent.

Oh, well! Trials and tribulations of boon docking!

Thanks for any thoughts and/or suggestions.

David

2003 Keystone Hornet 32'
Old 07-25-2005, 08:22 AM   #3

I do it all the time even when storing at home.

Doug
Old 07-25-2005, 10:23 AM   #4

Your experience explains why it is a good idea to NOT have the landing gear extended the same amount on uneven terrain.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:52 PM   #5

Well, here's my shot at your question. The front legs should be the same length -only if your 5er is sitting on a flat, level(paved) site! The leg holes are usually 1" apart for uneven ground. The 5er must be leveled sideways first, then the jacks may be lowered. I drop the jack legs, then raise each until it snaps into the nearest hole. Depending on the site the legs may not be the same length, so I carry a piece of 1/2" plywood for spacing(remember those 1" spaced holes). Block the 5er wheels and detach the truck. I then position the jacks so the 5er front is about an inch low of level. I then lower the rear stabilizers to where they are touching. Now I raise the 5er front with the power jacks to obtain front to rear level, and the job is finished. This method reduces any twisting strain on the 5er frame as much as possible while parked.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:27 AM   #6

DavidB:

I think I have avoided your problem by never having the steel pads rest directly on the ground, relying on a piece of 2X8 as a ground contact and this acts as a slip pad if I should nudge the unit while hitching up. I have been setting the legs to follow ground contour for the five years we have owned the fiver with no ill effects showing at this time. Cheers;

Bob

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:15 PM   #7

Just got the quote on the repairs - $1500. The RV dealer also is telling me that the factory didn't install the landing gear supports properly. They should have been welded lower on the frame. Who knows? I've not been very impressed with Keystone's product. But the unit was in our price range and we have had so much fun with the girl! I think we counted up to 32 the number of trips in the last 2 years!

Thanks all for the thoughts. I think the biggest problem was that the landing gear legs were on different levels of the terrain which is why one leg moved and the other stayed put.

David

2003 Keystone Hornet 32'