Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Thumbs down Pros & Cons of rear kitchen

We are narrowed down to 2 probable 5er units, 2 different dealers. One has a rear kitchen; one does not. The dealer of the mid-kitchen claims there is significantly more problems with breakage and appliance failures in a rear kitchen model. I would appreciate your opinions/experiences/input relative to a rear kitchen.

Thanks,
J&T
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
GPW

J, after owning a TD trailer with a rear galley , I do like them the best ... cooking odors , grease etc. all just blow away and don't linger INSIDE the trailer on walls and surfaces , requiring extensive cleaning and de-greasing frequently..... The rear of the trailer does have the greatest "range of movement" (bouncing) and will require your appliances/ kitchen goodies to be properly packed and secured ...

I'd pay as much attention to a dealer as I would a Military Recruiter ... The owners are the ones you DO want to listen to ...
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would have to agree with dealer on this one. If the appliances are not fastened down to take up the extra force of them when bouncing damage can result.
Plus if no rear door would have to walk through living area causing more cleaning up keep.
Some 5th's have better wheel suspensions that may help correct some of the bouncing back there.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for input. 5er will be a keystone rear kitchen model is a 292RKS. Appliances I am worried aboout are refer and microwave.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #5

Over 21 yrs, I've owned two mid kitchen and two rear kitchen units. It is true that there is more movement at the rear of the unit so there is the potential of glass breakage, etc. A lot depends on the trailer's suspension.

As far as appliances are concerned, I doubt it matters, at least I don't have any evidence of problems. Present unit is 6 yrs old, frig, stove, microwave, furnace, water pump, fresh water tank and water heater are all against the back wall. I've been over some pretty rough roads, twice lost a hub cab and once cracked a window hitting pot holes, but no problems with the appliances.

We totally prefer the rear kitchen layout, away from the entry door and much more counter space. An RK model will have more weight behind the axles, as a result, either hitch/pin weight will be lower than other floorplans or the axle position will be further back resulting in less tendency for tail dragging.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We've had rear kitchens in all of our RVs with the exception of a Lazy Daze we owned. We've never had an "appliance failure" (stove, microwave, refrigerator). While stuff does tend to move around in a rear kitchen, if you pack correctly, you shouldn't have any broken plates or glasses (we use nonbreakable plates and glasses, anyway, with the exception of our coffee mugs which we put in individual tube socks when traveling).

One thing I like about a rear kitchen is that I can do meal preparation without people getting in my way when walking by trying to get to the living area, or going from the living area to the bedroom/bath area. Stay out of my way when I'm in the kitchen! ;-)
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #7

I own a New Horizons 30 foot rear kitchen 5er. The suspension in it gives a very gentle ride. I take no special pains for my stuff. It is on the cabinet shelves fixed so it cannot slide around. There is no padding between anything. I have as of yet to have any brakeage in 4 years of full timing. I do travel a lot. I am not just parked some place.

If the appliances are designed for RV's, why would they have a problem if they experience movement of the environment they reside in?????

Yes you will have to pad your stuff in a rear Keystone kitchen because most RV's have a very poor suspension !!! I have followed a Keystone down the pike and they do bounce.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Had a 1995 36.5' Avion 5er with a rear kitchen and loved the size and counter space. All of the old urban Legends of a rear kitchen making such a travel mess are just that...urban legends. We had no more movement of stuff in the cabinets than a center kitchen.

Our current trailer has a rear bath and we have left a small glass 1/2 full of water in the sink on the back wall and after driving 4 plus hours, the glass was upright and still 1/2 full.

Of course, both trailer have shock absorbers which probably help.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rear Kitchen Fifth wheel

We had a 1989 Collins fifth wheel RK for ten years. The only time we had a problem was when on a trip to Alaska I drove over a frost heave at 45 MPH. Everything flew out of the fridge and pantry. The unit had a counter for eating and many many drawers. Sorry we sold it. The new owner goes all over with no problems. Why do they call it a fifth wheel?
The opening in the hitch where the pin goes in is one fifth of the circumference of the circle. Did I say that right?
Have fun !!!
Milt
Old 07-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Key things to think about are, can you access the fridge with the slides in
Can you access the pump switch with the slides in
Can you access the restroom with the slides in
If you have answered all of these questions with a yes then it's OK. If you did not then stay away from it. The TT/5th wheel is useless if you cannot use the bathroom w/o putting out a slideout. If you can't turn on the pump to flush then why get it, you don't want to leave the pump on while traveling That could really get ugly
If you can't stop at a rest area and get a cold drink and make a sandwhich while taking a break then why have it. You could justdo what you use to do and pack a cooler. that way that $25k or more 5th wheel is nothing more than a big POS

Trust me that 5th wheel is completely different with the slides in than when out, bring the slides in and see if you can still use it in a pinch.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #11

My 97 Kountryaire rear kitchen has been pulled over 75K miles to date. Appliances have not loosened up. Yes it is roomy and yes I have had some broken crockery over the years despite having triple axles with MorRyde suspension and shocks. To reduce breakage I purchased a roll of anti slip shelf covering at Walmart and covered my shelves. I also cut out pads from same material to place between certain dishes tho a common dinner napkin will do the same thing between dishes. The term fifth wheel comes from the base plate on semi tractors being orginally referred to as such. BTW an RV hitch pin is the same diameter as a semi trailer and will lock into the base plate on a semi tractor.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:00 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks to all for the great input. From your experiences, I don't think kitchen location will be a show stopper. We'll just go with the layout that suits momma the best.

J&T
Old 07-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #13

The biggest complaint ive read about is the fact thats item in the cupboards tend to move around a lot unless you secure them. Have not ever heard of appliances failing. imho
shipwreck1 is offline   Reply With Quote