Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-19-2001, 11:48 AM   #15
When I decided to trade my 3/4 TWD for a 4WD I failed to take in the difference in height. Didn't think about it until I started my first trip and pulled out of the driveway dragging the skid wheels.

Went to an RV repair and welding shop who welded on two pieces of 4" rails raising the trailer. Now rides level and cost $300.00. Found out later the Dodge dealer would have paid for it if I had brought it up in the pre-purchase haggling.

Always ask for a discount on anything you buy or service you have to pay for! You will be amazed at how many places will haggle price with you. Even got $100.00 off on a refrigerator at Sears by haggling with the department manager

2000 Dodge Ram 3500 dually with cummins diesel, Automatic, 4:10, BD exhaust brake, Auto Loc, DTT TC/VB, VA Box, Boost module/elbow, 4" exhaust, 14 cm turbo housing + All goodies including leather.
1992 King Of the Road fiver, 2000 11.5 Arctic Fox slide in with all the goodies. (love those goodies)

clecogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2005, 06:39 AM   #16
i bought a 34frbw gulstream and the dealer put the ranch hitch adaptor on it for me and after i read the things that have been said i sent an email to gulfstream and got an email from mike ward that said that they do not warrenty the hitch if it is used this way so back to the drawing board once again just to let every one know thanks for all of the helpful input

06 gulfstream 34frbw 02 2500 dodge ctd b&w hitch with companion and timbrens 125hp predator chip cold air induction
scottc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 05:45 PM   #17
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DavidTD:
Thanks guys, keep it coming.

Yes, I will be taking my time in doing this. I agree, I would rather buy an already depreciated well built unit to "test the waters" in than buy a new one of less quality and take a bath on it.

The B&W 5th companion hitch is just like all of the others except it uses the GN hole as the mounting point to the truck. Is a 4 way pivot with the side to side movement dampened. Sounds like the best of both worlds and I just wanted to make sure you guys that have it are happy.

I'm trying to stay under 12k gross wet on a trailer. My truck loaded scales at about 8k.

I am not sure about flipping springs. I know it is common but I have two problems with it. I don't like the looks and I am fearfull of shifting the center of gravity up. Comments?

As far as floor plan, I am thinking either one with bunks in the rear or possibly the rear living with the entrance door at the curb side rear of the unit. Don't think I want a rear kitchen. Those that have the experience, what do you think the advantages /disadvantages are?

Thanks again,

DavidTD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FWIW, you can see the truck and trailer we have. We use a B&W and companion and have had no problems. Everything seems to fit tight. Be sure you torque the companion down correctly - torque the center bolt before tightening the u bolts. Again, ours has worked fine.

As for height, our truck is stock, and our trailer is too. I was worried about the height mismatch, but loaded up (about 2600# on the pin) our truck is level, our trailer is level, and we have about 7" of clearance. We've hit the dirt roads in some SP and NP's, and haven't had any clearance problems.

Floor plans are all in the eyes of the beholders. We originally wanted a bunk model (3 boys - 2 to 14), but decided we wnated a more open floorplan and got a rear living room 3 slide. We have a king bed up front (bigger than at home!), a convertible dinette (as opposed to a freestanding dinette), and a queen sleeper sofa in back. Again, many people swear by their bunks. With an open plan, we (mama and I) can use the trailers without kids and have more open space.

Good luck on your search. And welcome to IRV2

2004 Dodge 3500 4x4 DRW HO/6 SPD B&W+Companion, Prodigy, Line-X, Pac Brake
JRMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:13 AM   #18
I'd agree about starting with something used. These things depreciate fast, and after you have had one, you may decide that you would prefer something bigger, or with a different floor plan.

After considering other options, I did the flip myself. I left the stock perches on so I could put it back. Didn't seem to change handling at all, but I also don't like the look.

I also have a B&W companion, and have noticed it seems kind of springy back and forth after hitting the right bump. I'm pretty sure it is the hitch. (I use a torque wrench on it).

Thinking about getting a bigger truck, and big trailer, and if I do I will get one of the air ride hitches next time... There are also goose neck adapters that fit 5th wheel rails if you need the truck to do both.
Dodge Ram dually laramie 4x4 w/jake, B&W, Brakesmart.
Kit Patio Hauler 394F toyhauler 5th wheel
Camo 680 Rincon, Green 500 Foreman, Blk twincam Roadking
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:59 AM   #19
took the adaptor off and the rv place where i bought the trailer said they would take it back and put the companion hitch and b&w system and i think it is a very well built unit i have not pulled with the hitch yet but after i do i will post what i think of it but if it pulls half as good as it looks it will be great
06 gulfstream 34frbw 02 2500 dodge ctd b&w hitch with companion and timbrens 125hp predator chip cold air induction
scottc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 04:46 PM   #20
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lots of choise as far 5vrs out there that meet what you are looking for. I have a Trailblazer T27FSB which has the rear bunk and living room slide. Pics are on my web site. My unit rides just fine on my Ram 3500 SB SRW CTD. I use the potable water tank to ballast out the 5vr. I do have to load a lot of stuff in the upper bed storage also to get enough weight onth ebed of the truck.
Great ride and no problems when I took it accross country this year.

Retired Navy Submariner
2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F; 5 Star tuned; 2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
SuperGewl is offline   Reply With Quote