Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2016, 12:31 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
probably comes in real handy for the techs when backing it in to address a recall

Ram 2500

Chrysler is recalling 381,876 2010-'14 Ram 2500, 3500, 4500 and 5500 pickup trucks and chassis cabs globally because the diesel fuel heater may overheat.

Chrysler is recalling 1.2 million trucks, including the 2003-'12 Ram 2500 and 3500, for a steering-components defect that could cause a loss of steering.

Chrysler is recalling approximately 30,000 2013 Ram pickups so that dealers can perform a software upgrade to reactivate the indicator that a turn signal is malfunctioning.

Chrysler is recalling 1,253 2013 Ram 2500 and 3500 pickup trucks equipped with optional premium headlights to fix a problem with the high-beam mode.

Chrysler is recalling 142,800 vehicles, including the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2014 Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500, because of instrument-cluster defects.

Chrysler is recalling approximately 1.4 million vehicles, including the 2013-2015 Ram 2500 over fears of remote hacking of the vehicle.

Chrysler is recalling approximately 540,000 vehicles, including the 2008-2012 Dodge Ram 2500, due to defective suspension. Owners may be eligible for a buyback.
Hate to burst you bubble but my 12 Ram has only had two recalls. One for a grid heater and one for an emissions update that wasn't even required as it pertained to CA vehicles. I never got the tie rod recall. I've had 4 years of trouble free driving. Better than that POS 2010 F150 I had before.
Anyone can list recalls for every make and model made. Big deal.
I don't see what you drive. Are you embarrassed?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2016, 01:33 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
I think if most people were really honest they would tell you that their wives or whoever they have watching for them while they back up are just a safety net. I know mine is. I always walk around before backing in and don't really trust the instructions of anyone behind the trailer.
It usually goes like this:
her: "go to the left"
me: "my left or your left?"
her:"just left"
me:"how far back?"
her: " quite a bit"
At this point I get out for a 2nd time and walk back to see what I'm dealing with and find that I'm right where I thought I would be and all this yelling is not necessary.
That is the exact reason My wife stays away from the campsite until I'm parked.

I will usually have to get out a time or two while backing into a spot but that's better than the above scenario.

Think about it, have you ever seen an 18 wheeler parking with someone on a walkie talkie guiding him in?

As mentioned by others, go to a big parking lot and practice. You'll do just fine.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentEvil View Post
Yea, my sales guy (at the RV place) said the same thing. But just realize they are trying to make a sale, and they know that some people have this barrier in their mind where they will drive a 3/4 ton but for some reason balk at the idea of a 1 ton.

I'm not familiar with Ford/Chevy, but in the Dodge you get the same engine whether you buy a 2500 or 3500. They're both the 6.7L turbo diesel. Both have the same HP, same torque, etc. So they'll both pull the trailer equally well. That is why the "max trailer weight" rating is not really going to be your limiting factor.

if you think of it like a chain, and each part of the truck is a link. Your tires have a max amount of weight they can handle, the axle has a max amount of weight it can handle, the suspension has a max amount of weight it can handle. It seems to me that they try to balance these out, so the #'s are usually close to one another. But the lowest number is your weakest link. If the tires can handle a total of 3750lbs (between the two) and the axle and suspension can handle 4000lbs; then you should stay at 3750lbs or lower or you are going to put more stress on the tires than you should. Or you upgrade to a higher load range tire.

Honestly, a dually wouldn't be out of the question at the weight your trailer is. It isn't a requirement, but it would give you ample headroom to where you wouldn't be worrying about payload capacity at all.

In my case, I'd love to be able to get one of those combo accessory fuel tank toolboxes. But I can't, because I'm so close to my max payload that it would put me over my lowest number. So for a 15k max weight trailer, and a 3500 single rear wheel; I'm even limited in what kind of stuff I can bring with me.

But, since my truck is my daily driver, I also dont want to have to deal with maneuvering a dually around Las Vegas on a daily basis...so I made a trade off.

Having said all that, a 2500 will certainly pull your trailer. You will just be over the weight limits for payload, and you will be assuming the risk of whatever higher level of wear and tear happens to your suspension, axle, transmission and tires. There are lots of people out there who pull trailers your weight and higher with a 2500. So really, its up to you.

IMO, if the price difference between the 2500 and 3500 was a lot more; then it would be a tougher decision. But when I was shopping around, it was between $1000 and $2000 more for a 3500. I found that reasonable for my piece of mind. The only other factor is it may be harder to find a 3500 equipped just the way you want it, depending on the area you live.

Anyhow, have fun truck shopping!
A well reasoned and written explanation.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #46

Would rather have a recall than be stranded on the side of the road. Ford trucks have a frame flex/radiator leak problem, but no recall or warranty coverage! Here's just one listing of many on the internet:

Ford F-250 Radiator Problems
Old 07-04-2016, 08:19 AM   #47

So I found a pretty good deal on a truck someone had set up for their business but had to let it go. Its a 2015 Ford 3500 Super Duty with a 6.7 L engine with 500 miles in it.. It has the metal bars on the grill and back window and also an extra diesel tank and tool box.
I moved in last Wednesday and have everything feeling really homey now.
Ive only towed it a short distance so far but will be heading out NW at the end of the week.I will not miss summer in Texas!!!
Old 07-05-2016, 12:44 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynnem33 View Post
So I found a pretty good deal on a truck someone had set up for their business but had to let it go. Its a 2015 Ford 3500 Super Duty with a 6.7 L engine with 500 miles in it.. It has the metal bars on the grill and back window and also an extra diesel tank and tool box.
I moved in last Wednesday and have everything feeling really homey now.
Ive only towed it a short distance so far but will be heading out NW at the end of the week.I will not miss summer in Texas!!!
Only 500 miles? Wow!

Tags
5th wheel