Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #1

Pullrite hitch

We have a new pull rite hitch and have had nothing but problems with getting it unhitched. We may have to shortened our vaca because we can't get it to unhitched. Any suggestions? We just spent 3 hours trying to get it unhitched and never did!
GParish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2013, 11:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GParish View Post
We have a new pull rite hitch and have had nothing but problems with getting it unhitched. We may have to shortened our vaca because we can't get it to unhitched. Any suggestions? We just spent 3 hours trying to get it unhitched and never did!
Make sure tv and trailer are straight and not on an angle. If trailer was backed in, put tv in drive to move slightly forward-this will take some pressure off the pin. Lift trailer up by front jacks enough to just start pulling up on the tv and then pull the hitch release handle. Make sure to put chalks behind the trailer wheels!

That's how I unhitch with my pullrite. I found by pulling forward slightly to release pressure on the pin made a big difference.

Hope this helps.
scott534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #3

We have had a Pullrite hitch for quite some time. You just have to release pressure on the pin. For us, that usually means backing into the chock placed behind a rear wheel. Works every time. We can usually get the handle pulled on a level site without any adjustments.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #4

I occasionally have the same problem. The angle of TV to FW does have to be within 16 degrees but that doesn't seem to be the problem. I've found that taking the weight off the TV, even to the point of very slightly raising the back of the TV using the FW jacks, works best. Sometimes, just putting the truck in reverse to put rearward pressure on the hitch pin works, too. Have someone else pull the hitch latch while keeping their feet clear of the wheels.

I've never had to work at it more than a couple of minutes. If you cannot get unhitched without doing the above, I suspect you have a significant problem with the hitch itself and a phone call to Pullrite while you're actively trying to get unhitched is in order.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #5

I can empathize

We were on vacation once and I had to call our dealer because I COULD not unhitch our Pullrite.

And backing up a little so that I released the pressure between the units was exactly what the doctor ordered.

Yes, getting the TV and 5er in line is a requirement also. But it is the towing pressure that seems to be the bigger item, generally.
touringmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Quite often when I'm in a pull thru site I must bump the trailer back to get the hitch to release.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #7

We have bumped it forward, backward, and against the chock. I'm thinking it is a defective hitch. We have been traveling for 2 months now and had nothing but trouble with this. Today is monday so we will be calling pull right. I will keep you informed. 3 hours plus is to long just to get unhitched.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #8

I've only had to put a slight amount of backward pressure to get mine to release. I hope you get the issue to resolved.
PhillipsMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #9

Called the company and finally got unhitched. They said there is 30thousands of clearance. Very nice and gave us the honk. Put in reverse and back up to chock then put emergency break on then put in park and that worked. We will see in 2 days when we go to Vegas if we can get unhitched. I will keep you posted.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #10

Gave us this hint. Hate spellcheck
Old 04-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GParish View Post
Gave us this hint. Hate spellcheck
Honk is spelled correctly, so why would SpellCheck flag it? How else would you spell "honk"?
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #12

I used to have the same issue with my pullrite, but thanks to this forum i now know to chock the trailer, back up, park or neutral and it's like magic! I can easily pull the kingpin.

I love this forum.
fishinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #13

Another thing that helps is too watch the hitch plates. As soon as you see the plates seperate do the reverse thing and it should be an easy unhitch. Too hook back up, lower the hitch so it has to ride up the angled hitch plate for a solid lock.
Find a PullRite dealer and get the pinbox plate checked, if it is bent or out of position it will hinder hooking and unhooking too.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #14

I have always released mine as detailed above but recently have had the same issue releasing my superglide hitch with a new upper . I had to replace the "upper" portion ( every above the rails) a few months ago and the new one refuses to unhitch by just creating back pressure. The first time I called Pullrite and they suggested I release the pins holding the upper yoke and use the landing gear to separate the two partions. I did that and drove the truck out and then the mechanism released easilye. What I have found that I have to do now is to back into the chocks and then use a 2by4 as a lever to pull the release handle to the out position. Doesn't seem right but it works.
KOTR36 is offline   Reply With Quote