Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2016, 10:48 AM   #1

Purchase 5th Wheel Out of State?

My wife and I are looking at the Keystone Fuzion 420 Toy Hauler. We have viewed one in person at a local dealer here in Houston TX and are pretty well sold that is the floor plan etc that we are going to go with.

So question is, what are the pros and cons of going and buying one out of state. The dealer here quoted us $122K for this unit which we completely balked at. They have since come back to us and said they could do it for $96K (a magical reduction of $26K just because we walked away)

I have since seen the exact same unit available at a dealership in Ohio for $69K.

I sure dont have any problem driving 1000 miles each way to save almost another $30K, or I could just pay maybe $2K to have it delivered although that means purchasing site unseen!

I would appreciate thoughts on what the pros and cons are. How do you deal with service requirements or repairs if anything fails etc etc

All input would be much appreciated

Thanks
Dave

usdave1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by usdave1t View Post
My wife and I are looking at the Keystone Fuzion 420 Toy Hauler. We have viewed one in person at a local dealer here in Houston TX and are pretty well sold that is the floor plan etc that we are going to go with.

So question is, what are the pros and cons of going and buying one out of state. The dealer here quoted us $122K for this unit which we completely balked at. They have since come back to us and said they could do it for $96K (a magical reduction of $26K just because we walked away)

I have since seen the exact same unit available at a dealership in Ohio for $69K.

I sure dont have any problem driving 1000 miles each way to save almost another $30K, or I could just pay maybe $2K to have it delivered although that means purchasing site unseen!

I would appreciate thoughts on what the pros and cons are. How do you deal with service requirements or repairs if anything fails etc etc

All input would be much appreciated

Thanks
Dave
I am guessing you probably have already done this but I went through the same thing and just got a quote from the cheapest dealer and told the local one to match it o by by. As far as Keystone goes any Keystone dealer is suppose to do warranty work but...... might not be as quick as you would like.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #3

I find it hard to believe there is a $27,000 difference between TX and OH on identical units, the one in OH may be be a bare bones unit. By the time you pay shipping or a trip north to get it, pdi, set up and paperwork fees, and other dealer add ons it may not be such a sweet deal.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
I find it hard to believe there is a $27,000 difference between TX and OH on identical units, the one in OH may be be a bare bones unit. By the time you pay shipping or a trip north to get it, pdi, set up and paperwork fees, and other dealer add ons it may not be such a sweet deal.

Actually - I find it really EASY to believe!

Here's my guide to shopping - with a caveat - it applies to "ordering" an RV - *not* one on the dealer's lot. That's part two.

Make your list of/for *exactly* what you want. Floor plan and options.
"Shop" your list country wide. (The internet is your friend).

Find the best price - for *exactly* what you want. That is now your "benchmark" price.
Ask local (or closer) dealers if they will meet that price.
YOU decide if you are willing to travel for the best price - or did one of your locals offer a competitive price close enough to your "benchmark".

Part two, the caveat -
If you are willing to purchase an RV in a dealer's inventory (on his lot) - be ready to negotiate!
The above still applies - but make sure to add or subtract the cost of the items the "in stock" unit has or doesn't have to compare prices.
Remember - you are in competition with the "gotta have it now" folks walking onto his lot.

Worked for me (ordered & purchased out-of state) - and I "traveled" more than 1K miles for my best deal.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:18 AM   #5

If you happen to purchase a unit from a dealer our of your area, I would suggest you spend a few days in a campground close by the selling dealer.

Make it a condition of your sale that they will immediately fix any issues that might pop up upon delivery--warranty items.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dave,

* A discount of 20-30% is typical. There are several "wholesalers" up north of Keystone RVs, you have to call to get a price, but I'd check in with them or ask around on the Keystone form in regard to what people actually paid. Dealers vary wildly, pricing on a Grand Design here last week was a solid $10k over what other people actually paid.

What you should know about Keystone / Thor industries:

* If you buy one, especially a big complicated rig like the Fuzion, you need to be aware that most of these units (well, all units pretty much) have issues. The difference with Keystone is that the "nationwide" warranty - is well - very optimistic. We had our LED lights fail on our Keystone Carbon last summer - literally - all of them, which is a simple process of ordering parts. We were on the road, I called 3 dealers, none would give us less than a 90-day wait time because I didn't "but it there". And one dealer flat said they won't service Keystones that were not purchased there.

Our dealer told us to "bring it back" (1200 miles) - we declined. The eventual fix was for me to ship the lights to my dealer, Keystone to ship new lights to the dealer, then the dealer ships them to me. Took weeks. Ridiculous.

Keystone would not help us directly. We asked. Twice.

Speaking to Keystone (Thor) corporate about the lack of warranty coverage, they said "we're working on it"...

* Your Newmar is built totally different from Keystone - be prepared for that. And Newmar will provide direct support. Keystone will not - under any circumstances - sell you parts or help you directly. They send you to a dealer, see above.

* My "average" repair time is 45 days at my dealer. That's with an appointment. YMMV somewhat, but I don't think this is unusual. Two trips to warranty, and you've used about 25% of it sitting in the shop. Most of that time, the RV sits.

We like Keystone's designs and their RVs. We're vastly disappointed in the lack of service. If you buy one, I highly recommend a local dealer that has strong customer service. If you order one, I'd recommend one of the wholesalers, but BEFORE you do that, confirm with a dealer in your area that they will service it, even though you didn't buy it there.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #7

That can't be the same unit / features if it's $53,000 below list price. It's normal to get a good 30% below list but dealers don't usually advertise it. Like others said, tell your local dealer you can get that trailer for $69k and ask them to match the price. That's what we did and the dealer agreed after a little back and forth.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some dealers mark up *above* MSRP to play the mark-it-down game. There is very little transparency in the industry.

The least expensive advertised price on a 2016 420 Fuzion is currently $69k out of Utah. Most expensive is $116k, also out of Utah. Probably not the same options, but this is the game that dealers play. Even no options to fully loaded, it doesn't explain the price gap.

I'd start by finding a real Keystone build sheet with Keystone MSRP prices, then expect 20-30% off of that.

Look, decide if you're willing to order one, do the build sheet, then ask dealers what they're willing to sell it at (out the door).

Ask when the unit was built/delivered. Delivery to the dealer from Indiana in the winter can result in a lot of corrosion if the dealer didn't clean it up... The frames don't have a lot of paint.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:01 AM   #9

Last time we did this I estimated it would cost me about $5000 to go out of state to get a trailer. We shopped a good bit and figured out which trailer we wanted and then I went looking at price.

The local dealer was a lot higher than that despite me walking in with a quote from the other dealer and I told them I would buy from the even if theirs was 5k higher. No luck the local guy did not want our business.

We've had 4 trailers over the years and my experience has proven to me buying local is of little to no value especially when it comes to warranty. The most important thing is to have a manufacturer who will work with you and take the dealer out of the equation.

Patience is the key, if you're in no hurry the right deal will come.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
We've had 4 trailers over the years and my experience has proven to me buying local is of little to no value especially when it comes to warranty. The most important thing is to have a manufacturer who will work with you and take the dealer out of the equation.
Keystone's policy (written) is to have the consumer go through the dealer. They will NOT deal directly....
Old 05-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Keystone's policy (written) is to have the consumer go through the dealer. They will NOT deal directly....
That right there is another reason to avoid Keystone.
I've only owned 3 trailers. 1st one we had zero warranty problems with.
2nd one we had a couple minor things and had to deal with the dealer. That was a joke. Wrong parts constantly sent from the MFG.
3rd one we bought 300 miles from home. So no dealers nearby. Had 2 warranty items that needed fixed. Both minor. Called the MFG and they set me up with a local independent RV shop for one fix. The other fix was done on the phone with the MFG. They sent me the new part and I installed it myself.
Barring a major fix I will never take it to a dealer to have work done. 1st off I would never leave my trailer at a dealer for weeks/months at a time just sitting there because they either don't have the part or don't have the time to work on it.
If I can fix it I will. Not being rude but I feel sorry for those that can't work on their own RVs from either health reasons or from not having the mechanical skills.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:45 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I just want the OP to be aware of what customer support means in the Keystone case. It's not like that with Newmar, nor is it like that with other 5th wheel manufacturers like Grand Design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
1st off I would never leave my trailer at a dealer for weeks/months at a time just sitting there because they either don't have the part or don't have the time to work on it.
Unfortunately, if you want a dealer repair, you have to play by dealer rules. Like you, I want to setup an appointment, I want to bring it in when the bay is open, and I want to pick it up when they are done. It hasn't worked that way for me - they set up an appointment a month out and typically get behind. Rather than reschedule, you get to drop it off in order to "be in-line" for the bay. Get it into the bay, the work goes out for warranty (manufacturer) approval - which can take days to weeks, out of the back, wait on parts, back in the bay... It's a mess.. No reason to actually do it that way, but it seems like such is normal for the industry.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:46 AM   #13

Many thanks to everyone for all the input, it is very much appreciated.

We are now looking at options other than Keystone.........I am pretty confident that we will not be going that route now!

Not in a great deal of a hurry so will be patient, continue the research and find the right deal with the right manufacturer

Thanks again to all

Dave
usdave1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:55 PM   #14

We bought our Keystone Montana out of state (SC) from a high-volume dealer and got what I consider a great deal. It was a couple years old, had the layout we wanted, was well taken care of, and they even gave a great trade-in for our older Cedar Creek sight unseen. I use a local dealer (Augusta, GA) for maintenance and repairs. Had to get a new roof because a tree limb fell on it. Very happy with the local dealer.

Tags
5th wheel, purchase