Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2017, 08:00 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
I would like to point out to the OP that if that F350 is SRW (single rear wheels), that she is somewhat limited to pin weights under about 3000 lbs.
Just a personal preference here but I'll throw it out. If you are going to full time you may want to give consideration to a DRW. My reasoning is that since everything I own is behind me going down the road if I have a tire failure on the rear I still have a tire left to get me safely pulled over instead of in the ditch. Like I said just a personal preference.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post
Just a personal preference here but I'll throw it out. If you are going to full time you may want to give consideration to a DRW. My reasoning is that since everything I own is behind me going down the road if I have a tire failure on the rear I still have a tire left to get me safely pulled over instead of in the ditch. Like I said just a personal preference.

Brad

What if you have a blowout on the front tire. I agree that a DRW is more stable and you can have more pin weight because you have two more tires. But my Silverado 3500 SRW pulls my 32RL Cedar Creek just fine. I just like my SRW and since I'm not trading campers, I'm starting a two month trip to Alaska hopefully and my SRW is paid off this month. Unless you pull a big camper it just comes down to what you like. Some places I have a hard time parking my SRW and if I had a DRW I would have to walk more
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:39 PM   #45

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Some places I have a hard time parking my SRW and if I had a DRW I would have to walk more
My Fitbit is liking that scenario. It argues with me when we are driving from one location to another and spend a large portion of the day on my butt.

Walking more is exactly the prescription I needed.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #46

I have a 2014 Montana and it has been a good rv except for the valve on the black tank which was replaced 3 times. Hopefully it's ok now. The Montanas will get more bad reviews because there are a whole lot more of them sold than any other 5th wheel.Most rv's have the same appliances and many of the same options. If you spend more money then you should have better fit and finish but not always. The three things i value the most on any 5th wheel is tires-disc brakes-independent suspension.These 3 things are all about safety but most women could care less about these items including my wife. Safe travels.
shelbytexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:56 AM   #47

Carolina Campers
We were looking at a 2017 Montana (liked the floor plan) back in Dec. Then the dealer took it to a local area trade show in Jan. Late Jan we went back to check it out again to be sure it was the right one. My husband and I were shocked at the damage it had sustained in going to the trade show. If it can't stand the pulling (of drawers and doors) of a few hundred people in two days, can you even imagine how full timing in it would affect it?

That's when we took Montanas off our list.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:24 AM   #48

KZ RV Club
southernlady,

Montana's are one of the better built mid priced "luxury" full time 5th wheels. Had one which the DW and I would live in for 5-6 months out of the year. Had that Montana for 13 years with out any real problems. This past season it started to show it's age.

That being said the RV shows are what the DW and I use as a tool to help us decide not only what floorplans will work for us but what manufacturers build the toughest most durable units. We figure a 5 day show is worth about 2 years of normal use. At the Tampa RV show this past January there were hundreds of people per day through those trailers, only the strong survive. Some surprising results. The Montana's faired pretty well but some of the other major brands that bill themselves as mid to upper priced luxury units failed miserably.
jetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:47 AM   #49

Carolina Campers
jetzen, the newer ones (the one we saw was a 2017) may not have been as well built as the one you have that's now 13 years old.

We also saw a Forest River Riverstone that was still in exceptional shape after two RV shows in the area. That one, however, was a bit out of our price range.

Honestly, the one we did get (which is in my signature) had it not been on the lot over 300 days and significantly marked down, would have also been well out of our price range.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:12 PM   #50

Quote:
What if you have a blowout on the front tire. I agree that a DRW is more stable and you can have more pin weight because you have two more tires. But my Silverado 3500 SRW pulls my 32RL Cedar Creek just fine. I just like my SRW and since I'm not trading campers, I'm starting a two month trip to Alaska hopefully and my SRW is paid off this month. Unless you pull a big camper it just comes down to what you like. Some places I have a hard time parking my SRW and if I had a DRW I would have to walk more
If you are like me you can probably stand to walk some more. I don't see the problem with parking a dually. I can park my semi in a regular width parking stop however, I need 2 spaces long.

Plus if you blow a front tire you are probably screwed anyway.

Brad
Old 04-24-2017, 04:05 PM   #51

You go out to eat at nice places and try parking a dually. I walk far enough as it is. I'm not overweight. But you buy what you want. I like my SRW
Old 04-25-2017, 12:23 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady View Post
We were looking at a 2017 Montana (liked the floor plan) back in Dec. Then the dealer took it to a local area trade show in Jan. Late Jan we went back to check it out again to be sure it was the right one. My husband and I were shocked at the damage it had sustained in going to the trade show. If it can't stand the pulling (of drawers and doors) of a few hundred people in two days, can you even imagine how full timing in it would affect it?

That's when we took Montanas off our list.
I would suspect the Montana showed more wear and tear because they are much more popular than others so there should have been many more lookers of that brand compared to others. I would also suspect the Montana had more people going thru it than you would in a life time. That's why i would never buy a model that has been to a RV show. Montana's are certainly not the best out there but they are #1 in sales because of what people would think is a fair bang for there buck. Even the best will sometimes disappoint.
shelbytexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:51 AM   #53

Quote:
You go out to eat at nice places and try parking a dually. I walk far enough as it is. I'm not overweight. But you buy what you want. I like my SRW
Never meant to imply that you were over weight just that walking is good for you. I have 3 dogs to walk so I get lots.

Plus everything I say on here is my own opinion and I generally state that. If people don't want to know they wouldn't ask. That's why we have this forum so we can both give out our opinions.

Happy travels and maybe we will meet up down the road someday.

Brad
Old 04-25-2017, 01:11 PM   #54

Don't get me wrong I love to walk, DW says I can't trade campers again or trucks. My truck is big enough for me, if I had it to do over I would have probably got a dually. I pay my truck off tomorrow. Probably everything will happen to truck now that I have no warranty left. I would love to meet you down the road.

Jimmy
Old 04-25-2017, 03:14 PM   #55

Jimmy,
Paid off is a VERY GOOD thing. Enjoy and remember it is the trip not the destination that is important. Pigeon Forge was fun when we were there but that was before the fires. Travel safe.

Brad
Old 05-01-2017, 07:03 AM   #56

For what its worth

I have had Class A, C, and 5ers for over 35 years. I am a full-timer. In fact, right now I have a Foretravel and an Alpenlite 5er. All have their problems, even used. If you aren't handy you are better off staying home or have deep pockets. Many consider me more than just handy. I have rebuilt, repaired, and built my own units. That is why I tend to buy used. It is unnerving to take a unit in to get warranty work. I know when I fix it it'll be better than new. One of the easiest ways to see if a unit has quality is look at the plumbing fixtures and lines. If the fixtures are plastic, then it has less than high quality. If they use pex lines AND brass fittings (not plastic), then it is above average in quality. Check the cabinet slides for ball bearings. There are great buys out there if one is willing to learn and educate themselves. What is a great value 5er for me is not for others. Look at the value and not only the cost. For example, New Horizons have incredible value and it takes up to a year to build, but it'll take a big pocket to buy even a used one. On the other hand, many of the Elkhart builders can put out a unit in about a week. Most claim high quality, but that aint so. I have a Foretravel because it has and keeps its value. I have an Alpenlite because it had been stored in a building for most of its life and has retained its value. I do know that overall you will find on this forum (and others) a plethora of varied opinions. Get a buyer's guide book like, "Travel Trailer & Fifth Wheel Comparison Guide" by Randall Eaton. There are others, but IMHO I believe his is the best. If you learn and educate yourself, then you will purchase the best valued 5er FOR YOU.
sonshineclg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
middle bonus room, quality, quality fifth wheel