Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #1

Quality fifth wheel for a good price

We currently own a Rockwood Signature Ultra Light tow behind travel trailer and have decided to full time so we are looking for a fifth wheel. Our problem is that every time we find one that has the floor plan and features we are looking for we look at the reviews to find out that there are major problems with them. From what we are reading, the demand is so great right now for 5th wheels that the quality has diminished greatly and the manufacturers of the smaller better quality units are not as good at producing the larger "residential" 5th wheels. We don't want to spend an arm and a leg and our first born is not up for grabs in this deal so DRV and Augusta Luxe are off the table.

Our tow vehicle is a Ford F350 Super Duty so we should be able to pull even a larger rig. It already has airbags and a great suspension as it needs to be able to pull large equipment.

Our must haves are:
  1. Quality product - with good reviews
  2. Middle bonus room for a craft room to get my "junk" out of the common areas
  3. LOTS of storage - inside and out
  4. All weather package - with undercarriage heat
  5. Larger shower in bathroom with seat
  6. Washer and dryer hook ups
  7. automatic levelers
  8. 10 gallon hot water heater
  9. No moisture issues/soft flooring issues
  10. Good warranty and customer service

We have looked at the Montana's but when we checked reviews we saw more to not buy Keystone than any other manufacturer. We also looked at Open Range with mixed reviews. We do realize that most people that have great experiences never enter a review on the product and that many with bad experiences do post reviews so it makes it even more confusing.

If you have any advise, wisdom, Don't do that's or Do that's please reply to this message. Also advise as to where is the best place to purchase a unit -close to factory, doesn't matter, etc.

Thanks for your time!
Dolly11901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2017, 01:45 PM   #2

Arcric Fox, Cedar Creek, Cardinal would be my top three picks.
Northwood builds on their own frames, uses more insulation, and generally are better built that the mass produced ones.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I just spent 4 days next to my friend's brand new Montana. It's already falling apart. He's NOT happy. I found out today that they are owned by Thor, which explains a lot. My last RV was a brand new Thor and it was put together by children, I think.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #4

Take a look a VanLeigh's Vilano series. Granted we have the the fifth once built and so back then there wasn't the sense of urgency to "push the product out the door" to meet demand. I also don't have some of the standard components on mine that are now on the current models (i.e., Lippert 6 point jacks, etc...). DW is on a Facebook page of Vilano owners and some have expressed their disappointment to the current standard of products coming off the factory floor. This bothers me, but it seems to be par for the course for the industry of all manufacturers. I will say that for me, VanLeigh has supported us and our FW before, during, and after our warranty expired. For this I whole heartedly say they are a company to take a look at.
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:52 PM   #5

#2 is going to eliminate quite a few. You're pretty much going to be at the mercy of the running crazy Elkhart gang.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #6

Take a look at the Columbus 377MB. Looks like a Floorplan that might meet your needs. Finish out in the Columbus (not the Compass series) is very nice and the models have lots of nice features mostly present on higher end 5ers . We have a 325rl and it has been a nice solid unit , have had good customer service as well.
jlsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:57 PM   #7

DRV or Augusta may be doable if you would consider whats left over or slightly used.Unless your F350 is srw then no.
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:57 AM   #8

KZ RV Club
If you have the opportunity check out the May issue of Trailer Life Magazine. They do an in depth review of the KZ Durango Gold G384rlt.
While it is not the floorplan you are looking for the article should apply to all of the Durango Gold line. They make 2 models to fit your needs one with a deck G382mbq and one without G383mbq.
jetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Arcric Fox, Cedar Creek, Cardinal would be my top three picks.
Northwood builds on their own frames, uses more insulation, and generally are better built that the mass produced ones.
Good points.

Welcome to the forum.

In search of the holy grail? You may perhaps find a lightly used model that's been maintained well. When you find a strong candidate you might enlist the services of a seasoned inspector as an insurance. There are some great coaches that may not be in production still, but are very serviceable components with minor repairs and upgrades.

Bewell.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:16 AM   #10

We were very happy with our Cedar Creek and also received great factory support from them, check out this model it is on the Silver Back line.

Cedar Creek Silverback Edition Fifth Wheels by Forest River RV
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:53 PM   #11

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetzen View Post
If you have the opportunity check out the May issue of Trailer Life Magazine. They do an in depth review of the KZ Durango Gold G384rlt.
While it is not the floorplan you are looking for the article should apply to all of the Durango Gold line. They make 2 models to fit your needs one with a deck G382mbq and one without G383mbq.
KZ is advertised as full time living unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G353RKT.png
Views:	653
Size:	714.9 KB
ID:	158376  
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:43 PM   #12

Quality fifth wheel for a good price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post

I do like those Durango Golds.
Jbiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post

You can live in any camper full time. Size has nothing to do with it or how much it cost. Year round living is another thing and that depends on where you live
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:57 AM   #14
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
You can live in any camper full time. Size has nothing to do with it or how much it cost. Year round living is another thing and that depends on where you live
What you say is true except some manufacturers specifically state living in the unit full time will void the warranty. That's not a problem if you buy a used trailer that's already out of warranty; but if a manufacturer has that little faith in the durability of his product, I wouldn't want it even for weekend use.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
middle bonus room, quality, quality fifth wheel